Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Broadhead Blast :)

So I've been unhappy with muzzy's this year, very poor grouping at 20 - 30 yards... so I went to a buddy of mine who is a broadhead whore (Almost as bad as Arch007er)

Here are the broadheads I shot (all 100 grain)

Crimson Talon
    Thunderhead
    G5 Montec
    Slick Trick
    Muzzy 3 blade

The crimson talons - flew okay but did not group as well as I wanted, cool blade design though and I'm sure the bleeder blades would have done some serious damage

Thunderhead - Disappointed in the design layout, keeping the blades in the ferrule before you put the arrow on is tough. performance was poor at best, I could actually see them planning at 30 yards,

G5 Montec - Very impressed! These things flew great, 1 solid piece construction is very cool. flew very close to FP, at 20 3 shots went in the 2" bulls, at 30 yards I cut the X

Slick Trick - Amazing, These things grouped so tight that its hard to tell where each one went in the target, they are hitting about 1" low of my FP's but the consistancy is so outstanding that I'm just going to move my sight. 20 yards and 30 yard are all hitting the exact same spot.

Muzzy - Disappointed this year, they don't want to fly correctly and they are planeing pretty badly, at 20 yards I'm just a bit low, at 30 yards impact is way off and random...

Penetration wise its a little tough to say as these weren't brand new heads and the G5 was a practice head but:

Crimson Talon - Great penetration, tied with:
    Slick Trick - outstanding penetration as well
    G5 - Even with a practice blade it out performed the Muzzy and the Thunderhead
    Thunderhead - disappointed
    Muzzy - Sufficient, these will pass through a deer (from past experience :P)

This year I think I'll be hitting the woods with the slick Tricks!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Broadhead Blast :)

Which of the SlickTricks designs was it?
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Monroe County)

It was the regular one, not the magnums
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Cambria County)

Maybe a stupid question, but do you paper tune?
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but do you paper tune?
    I typically do not paper tune although I have in the past. I've seen some interesting results from paper tuning and then I've watched a perfectly paper tuned bow shoot like garbage...

its hit or miss, I normally ensure everything is level and micro adjust from there

I agree that SlickTricks fly great. Magnus Stinger 4-blades fly the same and have better penetration for less money. Both brands will be in the quiver this year.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I typically do not paper tune although I have in the past. I've seen some interesting results from paper tuning and then I've watched a perfectly paper tuned bow shoot like garbage...

its hit or miss, I normally ensure everything is level and micro adjust from there
    Paper tuning never worked for me all that well either. If anything it seemed like the arrows flew better when it tore a high right hole. Also dredly, have you tried switching fletching? When I got my new bow, I switched from feathers, cock feather up, to 4" vanes, cock feather out.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info. I haven't had much broadhead practice this year (see next to none), so I've been eyeing mechanicals that will fly as close to a field tip as possible.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    Paper tuning never worked for me all that well either. If anything it seemed like the arrows flew better when it tore a high right hole. Also dredly, have you tried switching fletching? When I got my new bow, I switched from feathers, cock feather up, to 4" vanes, cock feather out.
    Yup, actually this year I'm shooting 4" plastic vanes... just because thats what the arrows I have came with and they are shooting fine so no real reason to change

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I haven't had much broadhead practice this year (see next to none), so I've been eyeing mechanicals that will fly as close to a field tip as possible.
    I just am not a big fan of mech's, I've seen a lot of deer shot and killed with them and the results just normally aren't as good as a fixed blade will do.

I've shot them before, killed a deer with one but the penetration was poor at best, luckily the arrow got stuck and when the deer ran it shredded all the vitals but it was a bitch to track, 0 blood trail.

My brother in law has been using expandable for years, he rarely / never gets an actual pass through.

with fixed blades you have to aim for the shoulder to not get a pass through

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast