Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multiple NFA Questions

1. Does a flash suppressor of anything of that nature count as part of the barrel length? If so, does it have to be fixed to the barrel permanently, or can it be removable?

2. I assume overall length means with stock? Removable or not?

3. If I had a short barrel rifle or shotgun, technically, it would be legal for me to remove the barrel from the weapon and cut it short, would it not? I just would not be able to place the barrel back on the weapon, correct?

4. (in ref to #3) Would the barrel be the NFA item, or the whole gun?

5. If I had an NFA rifle/shotgun, would I be allowed to interchange longer barrels for other uses?

6. Can one manufacture a silencer? If so, do you get the clearance with getting a stamp first, then you can make the suppressor?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Multiple NFA Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post

1. Does a flash suppressor of anything of that nature count as part of the barrel length? If so, does it have to be fixed to the barrel permanently, or can it be removable?
    Yes, if you are using to to make up to 16" or 18" for a shotgun then it must be permanent

You can't make a pistol from a rifle , removing the stock would do this (but you can make a rifle from a pistol providing it has a longer barrel or registered SBR)... but for collapsible it is fully extended.

3. If I had a short barrel rifle or shotgun, technically, it would be legal for me to remove the barrel from the weapon and cut it short, would it not? I just would not be able to place the barrel back on the weapon, correct?
    Unless it is registered as a SBR/SBS then no that is intent. You can't own something that only has one purpose, to be illegal. (Some will disagree but be safe)

The whole gun is NFA because you can order short barrels for pistols

5. If I had an NFA rifle/shotgun, would I be allowed to interchange longer barrels for other uses?
    Yes if it is SBR/SBS you can have a 10" shotty barrel for home use, then a 32" for skeet if you wanted to.

6. Can one manufacture a silencer? If so, do you get the clearance with getting a stamp first, then you can make the suppressor?Yes to all three, but I unless you have a fixed barrel and you know what your doing, it is very tough.
    Red is answers

In reference to #3. I asked that question because I heard you can purchase an NFA full auto bolt for a AR and the bolt itself is NFA, not the gun. Is that true, and if so...does it only apply to AR's?

(Allegheny County)

your talking about different things and different laws all together there...

There are MG's that are either drop in registered or full gun registered. If they are drop in for a variety of calibers you can take it out and put it in another gun and its still the bolt thats NFA, but if you have a full gun registered you can't swap its internals out with another gun.

(Northampton County)

In reference to #3. I asked that question because I heard you can purchase an NFA full auto bolt for a AR and the bolt itself is NFA, not the gun. Is that true, and if so...does it only apply to AR's?
    Quote Originally Posted by evilash View Post
    your talking about different things and different laws all together there...

There are MG's that are either drop in registered or full gun registered. If they are drop in for a variety of calibers you can take it out and put it in another gun and its still the bolt thats NFA, but if you have a full gun registered you can't swap its internals out with another gun.
    With H&Ks such as the MP5 series and the G3 type rifles you can purchase a registered auto sear. The sear itself is considered the NFA item. It's not the bolt that makes a gun full auto it's the trigger group.

If you have a registered full auto anything, you could swap in a semi auto trigger kit with no problems. If you take the trigger group out of a full auto M16 and try to stick it into your semi auto Stag or Bushmaster, it won't fit.

Law requires that semi auto receivers cannot accept full auto trigger groups. Registered sears such as a Fleming auto sear are the exception but the sear itself is the NFA item.

so this sear will fit in a semi auto receiver? Thats what your saying? Such as an AR?

(Chester County)

so this sear will fit in a semi auto receiver? Thats what your saying? Such as an AR?

Just to be clear, there are bolt carriers that are often referred to as "full-auto" or "M-16". They do not change the function of a semi-auto AR, and are therefore legal to use, since they are not a part or parts that cause the semi to fire in full auto mode. As noted, there are sears (and Lightning Links) that can be used to achieve this, but they are a completely different type of part. They are (expensive) NFA parts, and are themselves considered machineguns.

Check out these links, they are full of info on this subject:

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

(Northampton County)

If required to meet length is has to be permanent or it is NFA.

For non-NFA, it includes stock fully extended. If you remove the stock, and it takes you under the NFA length, you are in trouble.

For SBR or SBS you can do pretty much whatever you want. It is commonly advised that you should be able to return the firearm and/or barrel to the NFA registered lengths or advise ATF to update a permanent change in barrel/firearm length if you will never go back to what is on the form. If you still have the parts to get to registered length, don't worry about it, do whatever you want and leave it however you want. Understand an LEO may not know what he is doing and notice your barrel is the "wrong" length and create a hassle.

You can cut it, buy extra barrels of different lengths, whatever you want. ATF has indicated that if you have two similar firearms, for instance, and one is SBR and one is not, then having multiple short barrels lying around could constitute "constructive intent" to illegally convert the non-NFA firearm to SBR. They would have to prove intent, but who knows how it would work out. IF you only have one firearm that can use multiple SBR uppers or short barrels then it shouldn't be an issue.

I think it's usually the receiver.

Yes. ATF requests that a permanent change be recorded with them as previously discussed. If you still have the parts to change it back, not a problem.

6. Can one manufacture a silencer? If so, do you get the clearance with getting a stamp first, then you can make the suppressor?
    Yes and yes. Don't do it to save cash, you will probably end up with substandard performance for nearly the same cost. These projects are for people that want to tinker or are serious enthusiasts that want to make something special.

I am not a lawyer.

new question

IF I had a rifled barrel for my shotgun, could I chop that down to 16"?......or not?

new question

IF I had a rifled barrel for my shotgun, could I chop that down to 16"?......or not?
    Not.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast