Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default New Charles Daly M4/AR15

First of all.
    Hi. New member here! This is my first post on the site. I hope you all enjoy my babbling!

So there I was, bored and not sure what to do with myself yesterday.... So, I went and purchased another rifle. I have not been "into" guns for the last 10 years or so, but the excitement of the soon to be forces in the white house have gotten me all wound up! In the last 3 weeks I have gotten an SKS, a new DC Arms AK-47, and I purchased back my old Glock M-17 from my brother in law.

This time I was looking for a M4/AR-15 and I traveled over to John Browns Armory in Rochester PA where he had 3 brands. There was Stag Arms, BushMaster, and Charles Daly M4 Carbines. They were priced at (Thanks to Mr. Obama :[ for the exuberantly high prices!) Stag was $1199, BushMaster $1249, and Charles Daly CDDM416
    $1299. I went with the Charles Daly.

A month ago, my pal Justin ran down to Browns and got a StagArms M4 for $850. In 1 month it has went up $350. Damn the world! Oh well. I want it, and if I wait it may be $2000 or more. In case our wondering, Brown's has no lowers and Guzyks in Ambridge has no lowers. Browns as of today has about 20 M4 Carbines setting in the back room. He is priced up a bit high, but in a time when things are going scarce, he has the goods. I also grabbed 2,000 rounds of 7.63x39 because the price was being bumped up again when his neaxt order came in. I also got one case of NATO for the M4. Brown's has about 12-14 more 1,000 round cases setting in stock right now. Guzyks is completely out and does not when he will be able to get more.

Now the picture I am posting first is of the gun as it came out of the box.....But I added a red dot sight to it in place of the upper handle and I added a front sight mounted rail with a Streamlight LED light. SO far thats it, but this thing is sexy enough as it is that I am not pressed to want to mod the gun. I'll get an actual picture of my M4 with its dress cloths on and put that up here after Sunday. My son and I are going to go fire some ammo in the back yard tomorow.

The CD Defense CDDM416

Last edited by larry0071; November 29th, 2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Wrong gun pictured

(Chester County)

Default Re: New Charles Daly M4/AR15

Congrats on your new CD, you made the right choice. Did he have any more LE's?

(Beaver County)

I know that the stack of CD M4 boxes that my weapon came from was about 4 feet high! THat would be about 20 Charles Daly boxes that I ASSume are full of M4 Carbines similar to mine. Call Tim down there and see what other models he has. In my ignorance, I dod not know that CD had various models... and honestly I had not ever heard of Charles Daly. Now I go to the Charles Daly Defense website and see that top gun in the banner... and man... if I could have gotten that one, I WOULD HAVE!

This is thier banner on thier site:

(Beaver County)

OK, some pictures of the CD Defense rifle. I really like the looks of it as it is dressed now, but I think I may change some of the parts around in a couple months when my wife forgets about what I paid for it. I also want to get an FFL and get a 14.5" barrel for it... and from what it looks like I will have to ship it back to CD Defense for any hard part changes or I'll void the lifetime warranty.

Let me know if you all think I have missed out on any "must have" accessories for the gun. I did buy a standard sling for it, but I may change over to a 1-point sling just for the cool factor. BTW, the light is crazy bright! Its mounted on the right side of the gun because I am LEFT EYE DOMINANT, but right handed. So by nature, when I pick up a bow, rifle or pistol I go south paw. I can not get myself to hold a gun or bow right handed because my left eye forces itself to the sights. Weird. I get picked on from my pals about my lefty issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Larry check your barrel stamping and see if it say 1/7 or 1/9. I called and they said they only had DM4 which are different than the LEM4. CD is building some nice rifles and their LE version rivals the 6920 the M4 is closer to the 6721.

(Beaver County)

On the left side it says:
    Charles Daly
    Harrisburg, PA
    Model - CDD-15
    Cal 5.56 NATO
    And a serial nuimber.

On the barrel it says:
    5.56 NATO 1-9
    -CHROMED-

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    On the left side it says:
    Charles Daly
    Harrisburg, PA
    Model - CDD-15
    Cal 5.56 NATO
    And a serial nuimber.

On the barrel it says:
    5.56 NATO 1-9
    -CHROMED-

Gotcha I see where I got confused; you posted the pic of the LE but in your post you state M4. The twist rate is the main difference between the M4 and LEM4 You bought yourself a nice rifle, best of luck with it.

I am looking for a 6920, Noveske or a CD LE.

You might want to check out m4carbine.net it is a great source of information and technical data.

(Beaver County)

I was confused on what the CD Defense website models were because as you see, what is stamped on the gun is not the same as the item number on the website. So Brown's only has this model that I got? Did you ask Tim if he can get the other version?

I know I overpaid for mine, but if I did not jump now the price may go higher in the upcoming months and it would have stopped me from getting one period. This way I at least got one. Worst case is that the prices settle back out if Obama does not push for the restrictions and I am found overpaying by a few hundred dollars. If Obama does push the restrictions into effect, the prices on these guns will go up...up... and away! If that happens, I made the smart choice.

Does anyone have an opinion on the CD over the Stag and the Bushmaster? By holding them, I can say that I liked the wide fore grip, and also when you shake the CD it barely makes a sound. The other two rattle like a bag of bolts. Also the CD version, you can push the break down pins out with your bare fingers, no punch or car keys required. The other two I could not break down with my finger tips while standing in the store. It just seemed that the CD felt like a tighter built and higher quality fit/finish over the other two options that were being offered at nearly the same price. If things were as they were 4 weeks ago, I would have spent the $850 on the Stag and been done with it. But with the Stag at $1200 and the CD at $1300.... it seemed like the $100 variance was worth spending.

Any other CD M4 owners have any input good or bad? I hope I did not get talked into buying a turd!

(Chester County)

Its a good rifle and you did the right thing. It's a shame because 6 weeks ago you could buy 6920's or N4's for 1250-1400. I was going to buy a second 6920 or a N4 but got lazy and now am paying for my procrastination big time.

I just recently added the CDLE model to the list of acceptable choices.

As far as BM and Stag comparison I think you bought the better rifle. The staking appears to be much better on the CD. Check out M4carbine.net, go to the Technical AR section and look for the pics and charts to compare. They have a lot of very knowledgeable pros there and it is a great place to learn the platform.