Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What to do with PSP registered ar-15 lower?

I've decided I don't want a psp registered lower. I was confused and had little knowledge of what was going on when I bought the lower. I feel violated.

I don't want it. How do I get rid of it? I was told the psp paperwork has to be kept along side the receiver for forever. additionally I will not longer do business with bravermans.

Default Re: What to do with PSP registered ar-15 lower?

There is NO registration in Pa!!!

Then can I smash it with a sledge hammer and mail it to the psp with the paperwork?

(Lehigh County)

The paperwork is merely a record of sale that the PSP maintains in a semi-legal database. It is not considered a registry because handguns which are brought into the state by new PA residents, as well as handguns which were purchased before the database was established, are not included in the database. As such, they also cannot legally use the database as a registry (they can't confiscate your weapon just because the serial number is not recorded in their database as transferred to you).

Then can I smash it with a sledge hammer and mail it to the psp with the paperwork?
    Sure, if you really want. I wouldn't bother though, I'd just keep the lower OR build a rifle out of it, and trade someone else for a similar AR. No PSP sales record/FFL transfer requirements for rifles.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Hey...I'll take that off your hands! I won't even charge a disposal fee. I'll do anything within my power to help a fellow PAFOAer out of a jam.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    The paperwork is merely a record of sale that the PSP maintains in a semi-legal database. It is not considered a registry because handguns which are brought into the state by new PA residents, as well as handguns which were purchased before the database was established, are not included in the database. As such, they also cannot legally use the database as a registry (they can't confiscate your weapon just because the serial number is not recorded in their database as transferred to you).

Sure, if you really want. I wouldn't bother though, I'd just keep the lower OR build a rifle out of it, and trade someone else for a similar AR. No PSP sales record/FFL transfer requirements for rifles.
    Ahh but see, this is where things could get a little fuzzy. Lets say for example that you build the lower into a rifle. Then a month / year later you decide to sell it as complete rifle FTF. The buyer then sells it to someone else who uses it in a crime. They track back the serial number (that registered it as a pistol). They find you and arrest you for selling a handgun without going through the proper transfer at an FFL. So, even though you built it into a rifle, they have it in the non data base as a pistol - then what do you do? In my opinion, it forces you to sell it through an FFL and do the pistol paperwork again even though it is a complete rifle. Will the FFL even do the pistol paperwork since it is a rifle? You start getting into a grey area and this allows the PSP to make the rules up as they go.

(Lehigh County)

They find you and arrest you for selling a handgun without going through the proper transfer at an FFL.
    No can do, the receiver was never a handgun. And they can't (legally) arrest you just because you legally purchased a receiver, and then later legally sold it as a rifle.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    No can do, the receiver was never a handgun. And they can't (legally) arrest you just because you legally purchased a receiver, and then later legally sold it as a rifle.
    Just curious - where are you getting your info from? Logic would say that if the lower was registered as a handgun using the handgun form that it would remain a pistol.

I just think this is opening a can o worms - giving the PSP too much leadway to make up the rules as they like. I know i don't want to be the first test case for selling a registered handgun lower FTF as a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    There is NO registration in Pa!!!
    Think again bucko, it looks like PSP is creating a new DB based on recievers. They got me today for an AK receiver (had to register and fill out the pistol paperwork)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Ahh but see, this is where things could get a little fuzzy. Lets say for example that you build the lower into a rifle. Then a month / year later you decide to sell it as complete rifle FTF. The buyer then sells it to someone else who uses it in a crime. They track back the serial number (that registered it as a pistol). They find you and arrest you for selling a handgun without going through the proper transfer at an FFL. So, even though you built it into a rifle, they have it in the non data base as a pistol - then what do you do? In my opinion, it forces you to sell it through an FFL and do the pistol paperwork again even though it is a complete rifle. Will the FFL even do the pistol paperwork since it is a rifle? You start getting into a grey area and this allows the PSP to make the rules up as they go.

I know we are talking about this in my AK thread BUT we really need to all 'get on the same page' and figure out the legalities of this and how we can fight back.

(Lehigh County)

There IS NO REGISTRATION.

The database they maintain is simply a handgun purchase database. They CANNOT, repeat, CANNOT use it as a registry for any legal purposes, including prosecuting a person for selling a rifle made from a receiver which happened to have a handgun purchase form filled out for its original transfer to a private citizen. Since it was not a handgun when you sold it, there was no reason (legal or otherwise) to fill out a handgun transfer/purchase form when you sold it. THEY would have to prove that you sold an AR PISTOL without the proper papers.

Obligatory "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer.
    Last edited by General Geoff; July 2nd, 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast