Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default OC shortly before/after work

I know that when I carry outside of work its my business, and people at work know I carry off work hours... I'm not too worried about this scenario otherwise, just shortly before and after work.

Lets say I'm headed to work and I decide to get coffee at Sheetz before hand and I bump into a co-worker (or boss) who is getting coffee as well. I am OC and we both have to be to work in 15 minutes. The co-worker (boss) knows I'm obviously headed to work. They also know darn well that I have to have my gun with me while I am at work (or in the car). The company has a strict no guns policy. They can put 2 and 2 together.

My question is this, given that scenario... Do you guys worry about this? Do you CC shortly before or shortly after work to avoid this potential problem?
    Last edited by Pro2A; November 20th, 2009 at 02:13 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: OC shortly before/after work

If your workplace prohibits carry I would definitely be very careful in not only avoiding the scenario you describe but also in anything you say or post:

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/52...hed-today.html

The above should illustrate that ANY hint that you *might be* carrying, even if the hint is a ridiculously stretched context from a disgruntled ex-coworker with a grudge that reports something you said that is not any sort of admission or suggestion that you carry at work *absolutely can* cause you grief at work.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; November 20th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    If your workplace prohibits carry I would definitely be very careful in not only avoiding the scenario you describe but also in anything you say or post:

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/52...light=searched

The above should illustrate that ANY hint that you *might be* carrying, even if the hint is a ridiculously stretched context from a disgruntled ex-coworker with a grudge that reports something you said that is not any sort of admission or suggestion that you carry at work *absolutely can* cause you grief at work.
    Agreed. Do I carry at work? No I don't carry. As you mentioned this is more of a "what would you do" thread to encourage opinions and debate.

I do however work with pro-gun people in a pretty laid back environment. I don't feel as worried as you may about posting here about this kind of stuff.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I do however work with pro-gun people in a pretty laid back environment. I don't feel as worried as you may about posting here about this kind of stuff.
    There was a time when I wasn't "as worried" about it either.... About 10 months ago

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

I'm not entirely sure of my workplace's policy on employees and guns, but since it's retail in a mall, I can imagine it's not "Do as you please."

I've OCd in there before I was hired with no issue, but I haven't been in there since, while off the clock. The whole store is pretty laid back, but I'm not sure I'd risk it, since I haven't been there too long/made myself too important to lose.

(Lancaster County)

yeah thats a touchy situation, and i understand about the strict no guns on work property policy. i would say do whatever you feel comfortable with but proceed with caution. as everyone else said, it would add to the potential of a serious problem if you make enemies at work.

(Monroe County)

If I were you, given the no weapons policy, I would conceal it on my way to and from work. Taking steps to avoid the bad situation may be the best move here.

(Franklin County)

I'm not going to comment on what I do, but when making my decisions, I had to answer the following questions:

1. Will I submit to a search of my person if asked?
    2. Will I submit to a search of my vehicle if asked?
    3. Am I prepared to possibly be terminated if I do not comply with either of the above scenarios?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Despite the strict no-guns policy where I work (Penn State), all of my coworkers have their LTCF and routinely CC/OC, so I'm not too worried.

The rule I was told was as long as the gun stays in my car they don't care.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    If I were you, given the no weapons policy, I would conceal it on my way to and from work. Taking steps to avoid the bad situation may be the best move here.
    Never said I did carry at work. Just wondering what others who may carry at work do in this situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast