Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default question about private security

There's a story going around now that Kim Kardashian got robbed in Paris, she's being followed by two armed guards.

This got me thinking: how do private security get licensed to carry *internationally*? I see photos of famous people in very anti-gun places like london, paris, italy, etc., and they are flanked by large security guards. Fanny packs are sometimes seen. I thought that even FEDS, when not on duty over seas, are generally not permitted to carry in other countries.

Just curious.

Default Re: question about private security

its pretty simple really

they are better and more valuable than you or i
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    its pretty simple really

they are better and more valuable than you or i
    Yes, I know that is going to be an answer.

But I'd like to know HOW this works. Does the celebrity pay off the local LEOs? Do they get diplomatic immunity from the embassy? Do they just ignore the law and if caught, pay off the local/fed gov? (in which case the guards carry illegally).

Exactly *how* does this all work? Just curious, since if their private guards (acting as private citizens) are carrying pistols, then presumably their is a way that non-leos in those countries can legally carry. Just how this works, I'm not clear on.

(Bucks County)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Yes, I know that is going to be an answer.

But I'd like to know HOW this works. Does the celebrity pay off the local LEOs? Do they get diplomatic immunity from the embassy? Do they just ignore the law and if caught, pay off the local/fed gov? (in which case the guards carry illegally).

Exactly *how* does this all work? Just curious, since if their private guards (acting as private citizens) are carrying pistols, then presumably their is a way that non-leos in those countries can legally carry. Just how this works, I'm not clear on.
    I have always wondered this also. I just assumed the security firm bribed the right officials, and that was that.

The answer to your question is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(Lancaster County)

They're unarmed

(Elk County)

As an example, several years ago we were in NYC for a long weekend to take in a couple Broadway plays, etc. We were staying as usual at "our" hotel, the Omni Berkshire on E 52nd and Madison in Midtown. It was Saturday afternoon, and we had just stepped out of the main entrance when three black Yukon/Suburban SUVs pulled up at the entrance, with interior red/blue strobes flashing. Black-suited guys jumped out with M4 Carbines at the ready, "secured" the sidewalks by blocking us and other passers-by, and only then opened the rear door of the middle SUV so that former Israeli Prime Minister and President Shimon Peres could get out and enter the hotel. He was in town to address the UN General Assembly. The security guys were clearly American, black and white, not Israeli. But I wondered where you got security guys that had permission to carry M4 Carbines in Midtown Manhattan.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    As an example, several years ago we were in NYC for a long weekend to take in a couple Broadway plays, etc. We were staying as usual at "our" hotel, the Omni Berkshire on E 52nd and Madison in Midtown. It was Saturday afternoon, and we had just stepped out of the main entrance when three black Yukon/Suburban SUVs pulled up at the entrance, with interior red/blue strobes flashing. Black-suited guys jumped out with M4 Carbines at the ready, "secured" the sidewalks by blocking us and other passers-by, and only then opened the rear door of the middle SUV so that former Israeli Prime Minister and President Shimon Peres could get out and enter the hotel. He was in town to address the UN General Assembly. The security guys were clearly American, black and white, not Israeli. But I wondered where you got security guys that had permission to carry M4 Carbines in Midtown Manhattan.

Noah
    May well have been Secret Service:

18 USC §3056. Powers, authorities, and duties of United States Secret Service
    (a) Under the direction of the Secretary of Homeland Security, the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect the following persons:

(6) Other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad when the President directs that such protection be provided
    IANAL

(Berks County)

The guys with the M4's were probably Special Agents with the US Department of State. Also could of been US Secret Service but they usually have a larger contingent and better toys to conceal since they do it far more regularly that DOS agents. Private security don't carry armed in foreign countries. If they are armed, they are legal in that country to do so. It's next to impossible to have an armed security officer that can travel the US and get to all the states. Most celebrities have a small core of security that they employ and are probably licensed for the state that the celebrity lives in. When traveling and needing armed people, they hire them at location for the length of time, and keep the core group around the VIP with the guns on the outside ring.

Diplomatic Security special agents are federal law enforcement officers who serve worldwide.

Overseas, our special agents advise ambassadors on all security issues and coordinate all of a mission's security programs. In the United States, agents investigate passport and visa fraud and protect the Secretary of State and visiting foreign dignitaries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast