Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Shipping Firearm to AZ

Hello,
    I am currently stationed in Southern AZ and wanted to ship my Glock to myself. I keep looking up information on it and always end up at the same spot.
    I would have to have my father send it to me even though it is in my name.
    would i have to send to a dealer via UPS/ FEDEX over night?
    Should i send my pistol from a dealer in pa to another dealer here in AZ? Or can I just ship it from myself to myself?

Thanks in Advanced,
    Cody

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Shipping Firearm to AZ

I think you're going to need to involve an FFL.

From the atf.gov website
    May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.
    Here's UPS policy
    Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
    Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®
    What I could find on FedEx
    Firearms

Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    DHL
    DHL eCommerce does not agree to carry, and will not accept any liability for items which it is not permitted to carry, cannot safely carry, or for any goods described below:
    i.Firearms or parts thereof, ammunition, explosives;

Quote Originally Posted by BASE1824 View Post
    I would have to have my father send it to me even though it is in my name.
    As residents of different states you can not privately take possession of it. He would need to send it to an FFL, and you would need to receive it on a 4473. PA to AZ would cost about $50 through shipmygun, and having an FFL mail it on his behalf is usually the transfer fee plus marked up shipping.

Whatever you do, don't mail ammo with the firearm. Send only unloaded magazines and do not put ammo in the package. Unless you can fill a 70 lbs Flat Rate box you're better off buying ammo there, too.
    NRA Life Member

(Indiana County)

You cannot ship ammo via the Postal Service!

(Allegheny County)

I doubt your specific scenario is addressed here, but this is a sticky regarding shipping.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=56807

(Berks County)

I think the bigger question is: can I ship a handgun directly to myself in another state? I don't know, but I'm guessing not, because you can only be a resident of one state at a time, right? If you're stationed in AZ, are you an AZ resident?

As far as cost, it's been cheaper for me to pay a sending FFL a small fee so he can ship the handgun insured Priority Mail than me shipping insured through UPS/FedEx myself. YMMV. The receiving end fee would be the same either way.

(Indiana County)

IMO your best bet is to have your dad ship it from an ffl in PA to a ffl in AZ.
    What you might run into is a dealer who says your dad can't ship your gun.
    Just remember, you can gift your biological parent a firearm and they can gift one to you so you can see how to deal with that should it be an issue with a particular dealer.

(Beaver County)

I'm guessing your active duty by the stationed in AZ. If you have not changed your state of residence from PA to another state do to no state taxes you are considered a resident of both states. You can maintain PA registration which is a joy to renew out of state and your PADL. Being stationed in AZ you also get the benefits of being a resident of that state. You can ship firearms to yourself in another state the complication here is wanting your dad to ship. If you can go with out it until you came home on leave you could legally ship it to yourself in AZ. I'm basing this off the legality of shipping firearms ahead of time for things such as hunting trips where they can be shipped by the owner ahead of time to where the owner is traveling. To have your dad ship it now would probably be best to go FFl to ffl as others have said. The issue might be shipping it to yourself is none of the common carriers will ship it because of no ffl involved in the receiving state.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Looks like I'll just wait till Christmas or just get one while I'm here. Rdgshooter. Unfornately I'm not active. NO but here for a reclass

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by rdgshooter View Post
    I'm guessing your active duty by the stationed in AZ. If you have not changed your state of residence from PA to another state do to no state taxes you are considered a resident of both states. You can maintain PA registration which is a joy to renew out of state and your PADL. Being stationed in AZ you also get the benefits of being a resident of that state. You can ship firearms to yourself in another state the complication here is wanting your dad to ship. If you can go with out it until you came home on leave you could legally ship it to yourself in AZ. I'm basing this off the legality of shipping firearms ahead of time for things such as hunting trips where they can be shipped by the owner ahead of time to where the owner is traveling. To have your dad ship it now would probably be best to go FFl to ffl as others have said. The issue might be shipping it to yourself is none of the common carriers will ship it because of no ffl involved in the receiving state.
    If he comes home he can just take it back with him and skip the shipping.