Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia LTCF - Pick up appointment cue 5 monhs long!!

I have been procrastinating at getting my LTCF in Philadelphia, and finally applied this May.
    I received the approval email yesterday, so around ~30 day processing time, which falls within the state's 45 day window.

However, Philly requires scheduling an appointment to pick up the LTCF - and the first availabile opening is Late November!!. It's June right now, so that's a 5 month backlog!

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on, or if there's another way to get an earlier appointment time?

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF - Pick up appointment cue 5 monhs long!!

They're blatantly skirting the law and have been sued (multiple times?) recently for these shenanigans.

I would recommend contacting the GOA (Gun Owners of America). The GOA is backing lawsuits and I believe they are (or at least were at one point) looking for plaintiffs.

Good luck to you.

And so the PRNY tactic continues to spread. This really needs to be nipped in the bud ASAP.

Like PA, NY has a time limit on approvals (though NY's is six months, not 45 days). The law starts the timer when the application is presented to the licensing officer. So many counties decided to violate the law by requiring appointments to submit an application - sometimes as long as an 18 month wait to submit an application.

Several PA sheriffs quickly started copying this tactic by refusing to accept applications from out-of-state residents, under the flawed thinking that if they don't accept an application, they don't have to process it. They continue to get away with it to this day, despite my efforts to put a stop to it.

And now we have Philly requiring appointments to pick up an approved LTCF, with a five month backlog.

It saddens my heart to see what is happening to your state

(Bucks County)

Move
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    They're blatantly skirting the law and have been sued (multiple times?) recently for these shenanigans.

I would recommend contacting the GOA (Gun Owners of America). The GOA is backing lawsuits and I believe they are (or at least were at one point) looking for plaintiffs.

Good luck to you.
    They announced the most recent suit on June 4. It may not hurt to contact them, but addressing this specific problem is already underway. Apparently Philly immediately extended hours, and added weekends, but still not enough to meet their statutory obligation.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Yup ... family member got approved today in philly ... november appointment . Ridiculous. Thankfully I already have mine from Pittsburgh its good for another year or so and will do whatever i need to to renew it there .

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah... So here's my story. My LTCF expired in May 2020. All them were closed for Covid. Furher Wolf granted us extensions. Philly GPU opens back up mid to late August last year. I call, they give me an appointment for June 16 2021. Extensions were only given until March 31. It gets better. June 16th rolls around. Appointment is cancelled, we made an announcement on the website. Have to apply through the website. Fine, I do that. Get approved. As other have reported earliest pick up time is NOVEMBER. I need to find more info on this lawsuit as I will be joining.

Use the approval letter for your license?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Use the approval letter for your license?
    They distinctly say you cannot do this. Only the physical license is valid.

(Bucks County)

Pennsylvania Constitution

WE, the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance, do ordain and establish this Constitution.
    Article I

DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

That the general, great and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and unalterably established, WE DECLARE THAT -
    Inherent Rights of Mankind
    Section 1.
    All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent and indefeasible rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation, and of pursuing their own happiness.

Political Powers
    Section 2.
    All power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority and instituted for their peace, safety and happiness. For the advancement of these ends they have at all times an inalienable and indefeasible right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think proper.

Religious Freedom
    Section 3.
    All men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences; no man can of right be compelled to attend, erect or support any place of worship or to maintain any ministry against his consent; no human authority can, in any case whatever, control or interfere with the rights of conscience, and no preference shall ever be given by law to any religious establishments or modes of worship.

Religion
    Section 4.
    No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth.

Elections
    Section 5.
    Elections shall be free and equal; and no power, civil or military, shall at any time interfere to prevent the free exercise of the right of suffrage.

Trial by Jury
    Section 6.
    Trial by jury shall be as heretofore, and the right thereof remain inviolate. The General assembly may provide, however, by law, that a verdict may be rendered by not less than five-sixths of the jury in any civil case. Furthermore, in criminal cases, the Commonwealth shall have the same right to trial by jury as does the accused.

Freedom of Press and Speech; Libels
    Section 7.
    The printing press shall be free to every person who may undertake to examine the proceedings of the Legislature or any branch of government, and no law shall ever by made to restrain the right thereof. The free communication of thoughts and opinions is one of the invaluable rights of man, and every citizen may freely speak, write and print on any subject, being responsible for the abuse of that liberty. No conviction shall be had in any prosecution for the publication of papers relating to the official conduct of officers or men in public capacity, or to any other matter proper for public investigation or information, where the fact that such publication was not maliciously or negligently made shall be established to the satisfaction of the jury; and in all indictments for libels the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the facts, under the direction of the court, as in other cases.

Security From Searches and Seizures
    Section 8.
    The people shall be secure in their persons, houses, papers and possessions from unreasonable searches and seizures, and no warrant to search any place or to seize any person or things shall issue without describing them as nearly as may be, nor without probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation subscribed by the affiant.

Rights of Accused in Criminal Prosecutions
    Section 9.
    In all criminal prosecutions the accused hath a right to be heard by himself and his counsel, to demand the nature and cause of the accusation against him, to be confronted with the witnesses against him, to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and in prosecutions by indictment or information, a speedy public trial by an impartial jury of the vicinage; he cannot be compelled to give evidence against himself, nor can he be deprived of his life, liberty or property, unless by the judgment of his peers or the law of the land. The use of a suppressed voluntary admission or voluntary confession to impeach the credibility of a person may be permitted and shall not be construed as compelling a person to give evidence against himself.

Initiation of Criminal Proceedings; Twice in Jeopardy; Eminent Domain
    Section 10.
    Except as hereinafter provided no person shall, for any indictable offense, be proceeded against criminally by information, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service, in time of war or public danger, or by leave of the court for oppression or misdemeanor in office. Each of the several courts of common pleas may, with the approval of the Supreme Court, provide for the initiation of criminal proceedings therein by information filed in the manner provided by law. No person shall, for the same offense, be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall private property be taken or applied to public use, without authority of law and without just compensation being first made or secured.

Courts to Be Open; Suits Against the Commonwealth
    Section 11.
    All courts shall be open; and every man for an injury done him in his lands, goods, person or reputation shall have remedy by due course of law, and eight and justice administered without sale, denial or delay. Suits may be brought against the Commonwealth in such manner, in such courts and in such cases as the Legislature may by law direct.

Power of Suspending Laws
    Section 12.
    No power of suspending laws shall be exercised unless by the Legislature or by its authority.

Bail, Fines and Punishments
    Section 13.
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel punishments inflicted.

Prisoners to be Bailable; Habeas Corpus
    Section 14.
    All prisoners shall be bailable by sufficient sureties, unless for capital offenses or for offenses for which the maximum sentence is life imprisonment or unless no condition or combination of conditions other than imprisonment will reasonably assure the safety of any person and the community when the proof is evident or presumption great; and the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in case of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

Special Criminal Tribunals
    Section 15.
    No commission shall issue creating special temporary criminal tribunals to try particular individuals or particular classes of cases.

Insolvent Debtors
    Section 16.
    The person of a debtor, where there is not strong presumption of fraud, shall not be continued in prison after delivering up his estate for the benefit of his creditors in such manner as shall be prescribed by law.

Ex Post Facto Laws; Impairment of Contracts
    Section 17.
    No ex post facto law, nor any law impairing the obligation of contracts, or making irrevocable any grant of special privileges or immunities, shall be passed.

Attainder
    Section 18.
    No person shall be attained of treason or felony by the Legislature.

Attainder Limited
    Section 19.
    No attainder shall work corruption of blood, nor, except during the life of the offender, forfeiture of estate to the Commonwealth.

Right of Petition
    Section 20.
    The citizens have a right in a peaceable manner to assemble together for their common good, and to apply to those invested with the powers of government for redress of grievances or other proper purposes by petition, address or remonstrance.

Right to Bear Arms
    Section 21.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Fighting Philly about withholding LTCF is the wrong fight. Until the blatant violations of the constitution are stopped, the wrong fights will never end.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast