Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Good Old Boy network alive and well in PA

This story is an editorial in todays Hazleton Standard Speaker.....

BOLD is MINE

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No justification for Gov. Rendell’s political hiring

Published: Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:12 AM EST

Gov. Ed Rendell has moved aggressively to trim the state budget in anticipation of a recession-induced fiscal year-end deficit now estimated at up to $2 billion.

It’s not yet clear just how the reductions will affect state services and the delivery of social services provided by local governments with partial state funding. Projected cuts could be mitigated somewhat by the economic stimulus plan that soon will make its way through Congress.

Unfortunately, the governor also has demonstrated that, for certain politicians, recession is merely a word rather than a fact.

A hiring freeze was one of the appropriate first measures that Rendell enacted last September as state revenues began to fall. As in any such freeze in any enterprise, managers usually retain the discretion to fill critical positions.

It is extremely questionable whether an expensive new hire approved by Rendell falls into that category.

Dan Surra, an Elk County Democrat who was a member of the state House for 18 years and a leader of the Democratic caucus before being defeated in November, was named to a newly created job in the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources — which has at least 11 open but frozen positions.

Surra will be paid $95,000 a year, about $20,000 more than his salary as a state representative, to help direct the Pennsylvania Wilds program. The Pennsylvania Wilds is a multi-county region of North-Central Pennsylvania known for its great natural beauty. The program is meant to increase tourism and related jobs there.

There is nothing new about such politically inspired hiring, other than Surra’s move from the legislative branch to the executive branch. The Legislature often hires its own members after they lose elections.

It’s something to remember as Rendell and lawmakers alike justify cuts by citing the reality of the recession — a reality that seems to apply to everyone other than the political anointed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lose one job and get a better one when others are still locked out.. Hmmmmmmm
    Last edited by schr8er2000; January 22nd, 2009 at 07:43 PM.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Good Old Boy network alive and well in PA

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    This story is an editorial in todays Hazleton Standard Speaker.....

BOLD is MINE

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No justification for Gov. Rendell’s political hiring

Published: Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:12 AM EST

Gov. Ed Rendell has moved aggressively to trim the state budget in anticipation of a recession-induced fiscal year-end deficit now estimated at up to $2 billion.

It’s not yet clear just how the reductions will affect state services and the delivery of social services provided by local governments with partial state funding. Projected cuts could be mitigated somewhat by the economic stimulus plan that soon will make its way through Congress.

Unfortunately, the governor also has demonstrated that, for certain politicians, recession is merely a word rather than a fact.

A hiring freeze was one of the appropriate first measures that Rendell enacted last September as state revenues began to fall. As in any such freeze in any enterprise, managers usually retain the discretion to fill critical positions.

It is extremely questionable whether an expensive new hire approved by Rendell falls into that category.

Dan Surra, an Elk County Democrat who was a member of the state House for 18 years and a leader of the Democratic caucus before being defeated in November, was named to a newly created job in the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources — which has at least 11 open but frozen positions.

Surra will be paid $95,000 a year, about $20,000 more than his salary as a state representative, to help direct the Pennsylvania Wilds program. The Pennsylvania Wilds is a multi-county region of North-Central Pennsylvania known for its great natural beauty. The program is meant to increase tourism and related jobs there.

There is nothing new about such politically inspired hiring, other than Surra’s move from the legislative branch to the executive branch. The Legislature often hires its own members after they lose elections.

It’s something to remember as Rendell and lawmakers alike justify cuts by citing the reality of the recession — a reality that seems to apply to everyone other than the political anointed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lose one job and get a better one when others are still locked out.. Hmmmmmmm
    Yeah this is something I've been thinking about alot lately , maybe we
    should all get together and figure out who in our State Government we
    really don't need !
    Time for "We the People" to start eliminating jobs that aren't needed !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

(Allegheny County)

So I guess that civil service test I took was a waste of time.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRage View Post
    Yeah this is something I've been thinking about alot lately , maybe we
    should all get together and figure out who in our State Government we
    really don't need !
    Time for "We the People" to start eliminating jobs that aren't needed !!
    "We the People" should be putting our foot down so to speak. We do not need anymore agencies, departments or cabinet positions. I think a few high level layoffs in the government is exactly what we need to save money both in what they take home in pay and what they steal for their pet projects.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    "We the People" should be putting our foot down so to speak. We do not need anymore agencies, departments or cabinet positions. I think a few high level layoffs in the government is exactly what we need to save money both in what they take home in pay and what they steal for their pet projects.
    I say we start at the top and layoff fat eddy himself... He is the biggest waste of space and PA money...
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bige64 View Post
    I say we start at the top and layoff fat eddy himself... He is the biggest waste of space and PA money...
    That sounds like a really good idea.

(Bedford County)

He recently said that there will be layoffs and furloughs of state employees and he doesn't want to hear any whining. But yet he can throw $95,000 away to a buddy of his. He's an ass!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bige64 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    He recently said that there will be layoffs and furloughs of state employees and he doesn't want to hear any whining. But yet he can throw $95,000 away to a buddy of his. He's an ass!
    I say let him hire his good buddy and pay him the $95,000 a year. One hitch. Fat Eddy pays him out of HIS pocket.