Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default it happens every family get together !

I am the only person in my ENTIRE extended family that owns a firearm, & every holiday & get together the leftists in my family gang up on me & terrorise me for owning a firearm in a crude attempt to get me to surrender them. it starts off like this, its the holidays & everyone is happy.. then i walk in & everyone goes silent, then the glaring starts & then the guilt talk about how i should be ashamed for my beautiful gun collection. I am the only person in my family that owns a firearm & does not vote democrat. i'd like to know if anyone else has the same dilemma.

Default Re: it happens every family get together !

Not me.

My condolences to you.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdsna5 View Post
    I am the only person in my ENTIRE extended family that owns a firearm, & every holiday & get together the leftists in my family gang up on me & terrorise me for owning a firearm in a crude attempt to get me to surrender them. it starts off like this, its the holidays & everyone is happy.. then i walk in & everyone goes silent, then the glaring starts & then the guilt talk about how i should be ashamed for my beautiful gun collection. I am the only person in my family that owns a firearm & does not vote democrat. i'd like to know if anyone else has the same dilemma.
    No myself but if your not already become well versed in gun rights, laws, responsibility, etc..

Ever since the whole talk of another AWB ban I have become much much much more vocal and political. I have learned a lot about firearms as a whole, I go on anti gun forums/pages and I don't troll but will correct someone spewing lies/propaganda. I have convinced several people or at least showed them my point. A lot of times it would get dragged on so long that they couldn't dismiss me as wrong anymore and gave up. I'd like to see that as a win.

Get informed, get vocal, and don't resort to lies and fear, show them in a calm logical manner. You won't win over most but you can get heard and make a difference to somebody out there, trust me.

(Bucks County)

I stopped trying to change peoples minds regarding guns long ago. Instead i take as many people to the range as possible. My wife, my son, his girlfriend, my daughter, her boyfriend, their friends. Make it fun, shoot 22's at fun targets, not just paper. The young ones love it, and will ask you to take them again. Make sure your anti family members see the pictures you took of their smiling faces at the range, and talk about the quality family time you are spending together.

(Cambria County)

I don't have liberals or anti-gun folks in my family....

Even the female members own atleast 5 firearms each...

You're welcome to celebrate the holidays with us if you like....
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

That would suck, to be ganged up on like that. My family is much more reasonable.

I had an interesting 4th of July family picnic on the Peninsula in Erie last year. A week before, I had gone to a poofa OC get-together in downtown Erie to support an OC'er being abused by the police. The local TV news was all over it, and I found myself being interviewed on camera, but I didn't think much about it. At the picnic, my great aunt said "Mike, I saw you on TV last week!" Word had already gotten out, my brother had seen the video... But no one gave me any grief about it, everyone just had a good laugh.

(Westmoreland County)

Hang in there and remember that your friends are the family that YOU get to pick. Family, well, you're stuck with them until you decide you've had enough. There's no guilt in striking out in the world without your biological family. Only you can decide what the price is that you are willing to pay to have them in your life.

I am also the only one in my family, a group of union apologist, left wing, koombya singing, koolaid drinking idiots, that owns a gun. (well, as far as they know, A gun. More like 20 or so. lol, my little joke on them) It is so hard to believe that we came from the same parents, went to the same schools and are so radically and ideologically different. Kind of freaks me out if I waste time thinking about it. :-D

This past Christmas I was at my mom's for about 15 minutes before my sister started repeating the same nauseating media garbage after Sandy Hook. I finally just told her to can it, she has had a sheltered and privileged life and has LUCKILY never been victimized. Frankly, it took two life altering experiences for me to wake up, the first happening when I was 17 and working at a gas station in the City of Pittsburgh. The first summer I worked there the station was held up twice, and I happened to be there for the second time. I was only 17 at the time, so having a gun to protect myself didn't really enter my mind. And truthfully, many holdups that happened in that era didn't seem to end in the robber using the weapon, or so it seemed. In time I didn't think about it much. The second time was when my ex wife and I split up, and the guy she was with and I got into a fight. I admit, I was in the wrong place and was too dumb to stay away from her at the time. He pulled a gun on me. I managed to get him to put the gun down, but we threw a few punches before I got the hell out of there. After that, my knees shook because I really felt that this person, who had HATRED for me, had the power in his hand to take my life. I have two children from her, and the thought that I might never see them again turned my thoughts to protecting myself. I vowed that however I might leave this world, if it was to be at the hand of another, that I was not going to go out as a victim, but as a warrior, because I love life, I love my kids, and it is all worth fighting for.

So I told my sister that she couldn't possibly understand just how lucky she has been, and how infuriating it is for me to have her reach some conclusion with no understanding of what I have had to go through in my life that expanded my thoughts and beliefs. I've spoken to her once since the holidays.

Hang in there.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter X View Post
    I stopped trying to change peoples minds regarding guns long ago. Instead i take as many people to the range as possible. My wife, my son, his girlfriend, my daughter, her boyfriend, their friends. Make it fun, shoot 22's at fun targets, not just paper. The young ones love it, and will ask you to take them again. Make sure your anti family members see the pictures you took of their smiling faces at the range, and talk about the quality family time you are spending together.

i feel the same way, if their not willing to listen they can't be debated with.
    i brought that up (family range time) once but i got cursed out instead :-)

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    No myself but if your not already become well versed in gun rights, laws, responsibility, etc..

Ever since the whole talk of another AWB ban I have become much much much more vocal and political. I have learned a lot about firearms as a whole, I go on anti gun forums/pages and I don't troll but will correct someone spewing lies/propaganda. I have convinced several people or at least showed them my point. A lot of times it would get dragged on so long that they couldn't dismiss me as wrong anymore and gave up. I'd like to see that as a win.

Get informed, get vocal, and don't resort to lies and fear, show them in a calm logical manner. You won't win over most but you can get heard and make a difference to somebody out there, trust me.
    ive known my gun laws since before i even bought my first gun several years back.
    its ashame the first gun i ever shot was at basic training.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter X View Post
    This past year I have taken 11 poeple to the range. I let they shot my guns and teach them gun safety. Now they all have guns and go shooting. I really feel good about that.
    Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast