Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Question Can a FFL refuse to do a transfer ?

I was wanting to do a rifle transfer yesterday @ Gander Mountain in Johnstown. The man behind the counter said we didn't need to do one for a rifle transfer (which I already knew) . I told him it was the buyer & me (sellers) preference to do a transfer. We were the only ones there, so them being too busy was not an issue. He stated the the State Police instructed him not to do anymore rifle transfers.Is this a load of B.S. ? Can he refuse to do a transfer ?

Default Re: Can a FFL refuse to do a transfer ?

They can refuse to do a transfer, just like an automotive garage can tell you that they don't want to do a major repair.
    Jules

(Jefferson County)

Yes, they can refuse to serve you for any reason except for the being one of the protected classes(disabled, race, religion, creed, gender, etc, etc).

I think the schmuck mistook the PSP's advice, thinking of the "firearm" transfer with the RoS - like how the PSP mandated the RoS transfer for AR15's a few years ago(but rescinded that mandate).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

PICS has been so backed up with new purchases that the psp may have sent that directive. That said, if it was sent, I doubt it would be absolute.
    The question is, will you be on your feet or your knees?

Hokkmike Guest

If you have confidence (LTCF) or some other surety about the buyer why bother? It MAY soon become necessary but it is not yet.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo1012 View Post
    PICS has been so backed up with new purchases that the psp may have sent that directive. That said, if it was sent, I doubt it would be absolute.
    PSP has not sent any kind of directive like that (I'm an FFL) and PICS is not swamped like it was the last few weeks, Every time I called this week I got right through.

The GM guy was blowing smoke, IMO he just didn't want to be bothered.

Back to the OP question, Yes, as an FFL I have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason with the exception of using a protected class (as knightO334 said) as the refusal reason.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by warpath9809 View Post
    I was wanting to do a rifle transfer yesterday @ Gander Mountain in Johnstown. The man behind the counter said we didn't need to do one for a rifle transfer (which I already knew) . I told him it was the buyer & me (sellers) preference to do a transfer. We were the only ones there, so them being too busy was not an issue. He stated the the State Police instructed him not to do anymore rifle transfers.Is this a load of B.S. ? Can he refuse to do a transfer ?

why even bother to go to a place like gander mountain to transfer a rifle???? i've read all kinds of horror stories on pafoa about gander mountain yet people still go there. check the gunbroker or gunsamerica FFL locator for a gunshop near you that does transfers and stop wasting time at places like gander mountain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by warpath9809 View Post
    Why not have the county sherrif do it? Sounds like you're located close to him

Not a very smart move by the store. Imagine what the media would do with the story if the rifle was used in a crime. They would also lose in the event a civil suit came out of any such incident.

(Lawrence County)

Both the buyer & myself traveled 2+ hrs. to meet halfway. This was the only place we both knew of, neither of us being familiar with the area.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast