Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default AR..I KNOW NOTHING

Up till now, I have only been interested in pistols but am thinking about broadening my horizons. As a kid, I had a Ruger 10/22 and loved plinking with it. Unfortunately, it got lost in one of the many moves I have made over the years.
    I've been looking at the AR15 as a possibility in getting back into rifle shooting. The problem is which one...Colt, Bushmaster, M&P. Also would need to scope it and put a bipod on it. I know it's subjective but I'm looking for the perfect set-up. Any input is appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR..I KNOW NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    Up till now, I have only been interested in pistols but am thinking about broadening my horizons. As a kid, I had a Ruger 10/22 and loved plinking with it. Unfortunately, it got lost in one of the many moves I have made over the years.
    I've been looking at the AR15 as a possibility in getting back into rifle shooting. The problem is which one...Colt, Bushmaster, M&P. Also would need to scope it and put a bipod on it. I know it's subjective but I'm looking for the perfect set-up. Any input is appreciated.
    What is your price range? What do you want from the gun? (varmint/pure target?/long/medium/close range?)

Which one? Colt=best and expensive, bushmaster, RRA, Stag (my pref), M&P, all good. You won't go wrong with any of the big name brands in the $800+range.

Do you want a 16" carbine? Heavy? Light? 20" rifle? You can really go just about any route with an AR15, so your best bet is to pick a price range, what you want done to it, what it's going to get used for, and go from there. The perfect setup depends purely upon what you are going to use it for.

(Berks County)

ar15.com-pretty much everything you need to know(and some you don't WANT to know) about AR's. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of knowledgable people here and I hope they chime in but that site is THE place to go for info.

Also, if you want to make a road trip go to Green Lane and check out Seneca Arms. John is a former National Champion shooter,very knowledgable about AR's,and has excellent prices. He talks the talk AND walks the walk. John has several AR's on the wall, Stag lowers for sale at a great price,and will help you out in many ways.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Lawrence County)

If you want a long range scoped tack driver you can have a guranteed .5 moa for $1100.

We need to know the usage.

Lycanfillusinthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

This has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I went to the range this morning and handled a M&P15T and it kind of kicked it to the front of my mind. I guess my problem is that I just don't know enough yet. Stuff like barrel length and weight still eludes me. My price range would be as high as $1500. I'd like to get into medium to long range target shooting. My brother is a colt fan and is into competative 1000 yd targets and spends hugh amounts of money doing it. I don't think I want to get that serious but would still like a rifle that will perform well. I'm just starting my research on rifle , scope, etc.

(Lawrence County)

A comp rifle could be had for $1500 easily. You won't find it on a shelf at the local gun store, though. Most long range comp guns are on the heavy side due to heavy barrels.

Next question would be: Scoped or irons?

Lycannoworriesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

Lycan..thanks for the pm. I sent a reply. I would definately want a scope on whatever I decide on. Was checking out mil-dot and leupold earlier and didn't realize they were so damn expensive. Also checking out what bushmaster has to offer and will look at other manufacturers as time passes. Gonna take it slow and try to digest as much as I can before shelling out the bucks.

(Franklin County)

Please keep us posted on your progress. I'm on the same road you're on, but have a couple more pistols (and some saving after that) until an AR gets to the top of my list. I too like to do lots of research, so seeing someone work through the process is interesting to me.

(Delaware County)

[QUOTE=snuffy19608;97667]ar15.com-pretty much everything you need to know(and some you don't WANT to know) about AR's.QUOTE]

Went there tonight and stayed for about an hour. There was a thread..building an AR15 for dummies. It had pictures and everything! Seriously, it was eye opening to see a little of how it's done. Looked at Stag.com and S&W again. I'm like a kid in a candy store..I want everything I see.

(Berks County)

I built my lower sitting at the computer,took about 30 minutes. That tutorial is excellent,especially the part about building your upper,installing the barrel,etc...

When you decide which way you want to go,check out the industry section. I recommend DelTon,Bravo Company,PK Firearms. PK especially has excellent prices. And for used/new parts,check out the equipment exchange. You'll find threads where guys have built rifles dirt cheap just by watching the EE for deals and picking stuff up a little at a time. I was gonna build my upper,had it all spec'd out,then I found a Bushmaster M4 Heavy Barrel with bolt,carrier,everything for a price I couldn't resist.

Whichever way you go, good luck and enjoy!!
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast