Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Classic - SF Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber

So many common sense firearm safety rules broke here, that a 12 year old that passed a hunter safety course knows better and these are the highly "trained" police officers.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ed=rss.bayarea

Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber
    Jaxon Van Derbeken,John Coté, Chronicle Staff Writers

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The San Francisco rookie police officer who accidentally shot himself to death fired his weapon while displaying for a female friend how officers are taught to avoid having their guns used against them, law enforcement authorities said Tuesday.

The incident happened at 1:40 a.m. Saturday during a gathering of as many as 15 people at the San Mateo apartment of the 23-year-old officer, James Gustafson Jr.

According to those familiar with the incident, Gustafson was showing his Police Department-issued semiautomatic pistol after removing the clip that stores the rounds. He explained that there are ways an officer can disable a weapon in close proximity to keep it from being fired.

It apparently was part of a demonstration of the department's "weapons retention" procedures. However, there was still a bullet in the chamber.

Gustafson pointed the weapon at his neck and pulled the trigger, shooting himself, according to authorities.

San Francisco Police Department policy is never to point a gun at a target that an officer does not intend to shoot, authorities said.

San Mateo police Capt. Kevin Raffaelli, whose agency is leading the investigation of the incident, declined to comment Tuesday other than to say that police do not believe other officers were present at the time of the shooting.

Some of those at the party apparently were drinking, authorities said. Toxicology results from Gustafson's autopsy will not be available for several weeks.

Gustafson graduated from the San Francisco Police Academy in January and had just finished a six-month stint in the Mission District under a field training officer. He had recently been assigned to the department's Central Station.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Classic - SF Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber

That's a shame that the kid lost his life. The San Fran police academy must suck.

We teach better safety than that at the PAFOA shoots, and they are just for fun.

These stories are always a good reminder to us all of what can happen if we get stupid and forget the rules.

Thanks for posting.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Classic - SF Rookie cop who killed himself removed clip, left bullet in chamber

That is a shame...one of my personal saftey rules is to never, and I mean NEVER point a weapon at any part of your body! Loaded or unloaded...it's just bad karma!

(Perry County)

That is a shame. Obviously, the instructors at the police academy are horrible at teaching gun safety or he made the fatal mistake of drinking and trying to show off.

I always assume my gun is loaded and never aim it at anyone or put my finger in the trigger guard. It's just good common sense.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    The San Fran police academy must suck.
    Most LE agencies are only interested in "qualifying" their recruits and officers. We had a fellow in our June 3 day pistol class, a three year veteran of the NJ state police. IIRC, they issue the SIG P229.

The story he related about his days in the academy (re: handgun firearms training) was horrifying. He's fortunate he never had to engage a threat in the three years he's been on the job. He was amazed at how much he learned in our class vs. the academy.

ALCOHOL AND FIREARMS A DEADLY COMBINATION!

Soooo Sad!

(Erie County)

Glad to see the class of cops protecting all of the unarmed citizens in San Fran. Not a very wise move. I assume he just forgot there was a round in there?

(Philadelphia County)

Lets see..

a gathering at his apartment, 15 people, and its almost 2 in the morning.

You can safely bet there was at least copious amounts of alcohol being consumed, if not recreational drugs. Sounds like a party to me, and a BAD time to show off your gun/s.

What a moron.

Thanks Darwin!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Two things I know for a fact they drill into your head at most police academies are:

DON'T TAKE YOUR FIREARM WITH YOU IF YOU INTEND TO CONSUME ALCOHOL
    DON'T TAKE YOUR FIREARM WITH YOU TO A CHILDREN'S PARTY

Maybe SF is different. I don't know. But you don't have to be an Einstein to know alcohol and firearms don't mix. It's sad what happened, really. Should a police officer be "showing off his gun", its not a toy. He should have respected the people around him by exhibiting extreme responsibility. Ahhh, he was the tender age of 23, what a shame.
    Just my nickels worth.