Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Trade opinion needed...my G26 + $ for a new complete DPMS M4 upper?

Someone has a new unfired DPMS M4 upper carbine complete with BCG + CH and wants $675 for it. The upper has standard handguards, M16 front sight, BUIS rear sight (not flip-up). He is willing to give me $550 towards my G26 with TFO night sights. I have 800 rounds through my gun, it's 1 year old and the sights are also about 1 year. What do you think?

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; February 21st, 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: details for upper added

Default Re: Trade opinion needed...my G26 + $ for a new complete DPMS M4 upper?

Seems very high to me, though that might depend on what it may or may not have on it.. Does it come with standard handguards, or some sort of 4rail? and what type of sights/upper receiver? If its all standard, I wouldn't pay over $500 myself.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Seems very high to me, though that might depend on what it may or may not have on it.. Does it come with standard handguards, or some sort of 4rail? and what type of sights/upper receiver? If its all standard, I wouldn't pay over $500 myself.
    Sorry, poor details on my part. Standard handguards, M16 front sight, BUIS rear sight (not flip-up). I haven't seen anything for sub $600 in this environment. I'm also offsetting a little on how much he's willing to put towards my G26.

Al

It doesn't seem like a horrible deal, and he is giving you a good price on your glock "trade in" but I still feel there is atleast some sort of obamania cost add on. While not in stock, midwayusa.com has alot of DPMS uppers listed you can use to compare prices to.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=253994 I assume your looking at something like this w/ a BUIS for $50 or so, though larue and a couple others do make the fixed ones for around $90 so that may be something to ask.

If I were you Id get myself on the email lists for LMT uppers (no ch/bcg or handguards) which sell for $450 from reputable dealers...they go FAST though.

Then you could pick up a larue BCG direct for about 150. Charging handle is about 20ish.

You might spent more like 700 or 750 but you're getting so much better quality out of the gate for just a little more.

He is giving you a good deal on the g26, though if I were going that way I would offer him a straight up trade..upper for g26.

yea +1 on offering straight up for the glock, and u split transfer. I doubt he will be getting $675 for it anytime soon, so just wait on it if he says no, you'll prob get it at somepoint after he gives in anyhow.

(Chester County)

$675 for a complete DPMS upper is waaaay high I think even these days. I would value it at closer to $500. I think your G26 is worth about $450 retail but selling to a gun store you might only get $350. I wouldn't give him more than the gun + $50. Sounds like he wants the gun + $125 which I don't think is a good deal, but isn't far off from a fair trade.

(Butler County)

Besides the money part. You will be trading a whole gun for half a gun. 800rds. thru a glock ain't shit. Its not even broke in yet.
    Do you have another pistol to use?
    Do you need an AR style rifle? Or just want one?
    Can you afford to feed an AR? They eat alot, and ammo is getting pricey.
    You'll still need a lower to go with the upper, that'll be another 3-400 clams.
    My advice, Keep the glock. If you got money for a lower save up some more and get a complete gun. Then you'll have both.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Besides the money part. You will be trading a whole gun for half a gun. 800rds. thru a glock ain't shit. Its not even broke in yet.
    Do you have another pistol to use?
    Do you need an AR style rifle? Or just want one?
    Can you afford to feed an AR? They eat alot, and ammo is getting pricey.
    You'll still need a lower to go with the upper, that'll be another 3-400 clams.
    My advice, Keep the glock. If you got money for a lower save up some more and get a complete gun. Then you'll have both.
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. I offered him the gun + 2 mags + $50, but he wanted the gun + 2 mags + serpa holster + $60. I decided that, base largely on your opinion, that I'd keep my baby.

bortle,
    Yeah, 800 rounds is nothing at all. I maintain my guns well too. I just found out that my back up is being recalled (Walther PPK/S). I have an AR and 3 lowers. I'm building one of them for my wife and got just a little impatient.

Al

(York County)

I won't comment on the trade/deal as I don't really know if it's worthwhile or not.
    However, if you do make the deal, I suggest you keep all the standard capacity magazines for your G26, except one that goes with the gun.
    Although I do not expect another AWB or magazine ban to be successful, it does pay to be prudent (just in case).