Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default An Old Marine's Reverie

TonightI came across this you tube link that shows the USMC Silent Drill Team in action. This old Marine loved watching it. Some will not understand why. Others will. My favorite quote about Marines came from a US Army Soldier. He said: "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

If you want to see some precision silent drill, follow this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXa39XyP6q8

Semper Fi.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: An Old Marine's Reverie

ive caught the silent drill team in person twice while on active duty. its beyond imprrssive. I also like to watch the recruit training final drill as well but ive only been able to see that once

Ver Impressive Indeed! I got to catch them at the Marine Barracks in 04, I get goosebumps with patriotic dedication!

Impressive! I remember the precision drills in boot camp vividly.

Occasionally, when the subject of military service comes up, someone will ask me what branch I was in. When I reply "Marines."; they usually say, "I shoulda' known." Or, "How did I know you were gonna' say that."

I never thought I was gung-ho, but even after being out for 44 years people can still tell.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

They normally have them at the USMC museum at Quantico a few times a year. They're quite impressive. If you've never been to the museum, it's definitely worth the trip.

My son and a lot if his friends went in after high school in '04 so we're pretty biased toward anything MC related.

The graduation parade at Parris Island was very moving too. They were all so proud that they had made it. Afterwards, he was afraid to get within arms length of his senior DI for a picture. We also stayed at the Osprey Inn on base and had a picnic for him and a friend who had no family come to see him.

They both threw up shortly after, not being used to eating real food for three months. Then they ate some more.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

-Eleanor Roosevelt

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Occasionally, when the subject of military service comes up, someone will ask me what branch I was in. When I reply "Marines."; they usually say, "I shoulda' known." Or, "How did I know you were gonna' say that."
    You can always tell a Marine.

Just not very much...

(Luzerne County)

All this does is remind of how much I hated drill.....lol.

"New" Marine here.....Semper Fubar, brother!
    SEMPER FUBAR