Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Decent Trap Gun?

Ok. My first post here I guess. I've responded to some, but this is my first.

Anywhoo, I'm very familiar with Handguns and Rifles...but on shotguns...i'm clueless. Never owned one and only shot very very few. As a matter of fact, I can count on 1 hand how many times I've shot a shotgun, and I couldn't even tell you what it was.

Anywhoo, I've seen the threads on "what type of gun should I buy?", etc...but on this, I do need some help.

I'm looking into getting into Trap shooting, nothing competitive...just for shits and giggles, you know, when the unsafe "yahoos" start coming into the handgun range and start acting like a bunch of morons, I can go out and shoot some skeet.

However, I'm completely clueless on what type of shotgun to purchase for it. I've BEEN looking, however, it seems like the choices are boundless as well as the price range. I'm not looking for a $3000 shotgun, nor do I want an uber cheap one either. Over/under or what? Also, 12 or 20 gauge? I don't hunt, so I dont need anything for that. Just for fun, and if the shit hits the fan in the house, if I happen to run out of SKS ammo, or .45, 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 SPL, and .357...I could use that for defense if i need to..lol.

so, any suggestions would be quite appreciated. Just looking for some tips from some of the more knowledeable shotgunners out there.

Thanks in Advance!

Default Re: Decent Trap Gun?

I have found that this is a matter of personal choice. The good news is that the folks who shoot clays are usually very friendly. They LOVE to introduce new people to the sport. If your club shoots trap or skeet or sporting clays, find out if and when they have league or practice night. Hang around there and start asking questions. Chances are you will have the chance to try out several shotguns. Others will chime in I am sure. I know Frenchy here shoots clays, and will know what I am talking about.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

I think as a very general response, most will tell you to get either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. These are both reguarded as solid designs with decades of tried and true use behind them. Next, you want something with a removable choke, because depending on how you shoot you'll want a very specific spread pattern to make it easier to hit the target. Lastly, you'd want something in the 24-28 in length range because the longer the shotgun the more stable it is (very important). Hope this helps.

(Allegheny County)

So you want to shoot trap and skeet just for fun? Whats your upper limit of funds? Do you want to be able to break most of the birds or just 50-75 percent of them? How often do you plan on shooting once a week, once a month, 3-4 times a year? How tall are you and how much do you weight? Do you think you can handle the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun 25, 50, 75, 100 times in a day? Do you have a range with automatic throwers or will you be hand throwing? Do you know the difference between Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays/ 5 Stand?

Answer the above for me and I can get you headed in the right direction.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; December 28th, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Bedford County)

870 Remington with a 28" Rem-Choke barrel in 12 gauge.

A great gun that works for beginners trap, skeet and sporting. Also can be used to hunt with.

Later, extra money will buy you a 18" barrel for home defense if you want one. Takes seconds to swap out.

Want to shoot serious trap later???

Buy the trap stock with the monte carlo cheek piece and maybe a 32" barrel.

The 870 is maybe the best starter gun...and great for seasoned shooters too.

If in the future you decide to buy a high dollar trap or sporting gun...you can always keep the 870 for home defense or field purposes.

(Delaware County)

I love my 870 18 in

(Northampton County)

I think Hawk got most of it down

But... If you're looking for something fun that won't take too much out of your shoulder and that you can share with other people (and not worry about it getting scratched, dinged, etc) I'd say look at the Beretta AL391 Urika or the Xtrema2. Both are semi auto and have a very light recoil. The Xtrema2 with the Kick-off option has such a tiny amount of recoil you could shoot it one handed.

The other thing you could do is see if the range your at has any rental options. Stay away from pump guns, as the movement in the pumping action will make you have to reset your aim every time... plus, the recoil can get a little harry.

From there, the sky is the limit. I have a Beretta 687 EELL that I love and a 682 Gold E that I'll shoot in the rain / snow. I also have an AL391 that my wife shoots sometimes and that I lend out to anyone that wants to shoot with me and either doesn't have their own gun or has never shot before.

Most sporting guns are built for 2" 3/4 shells, so don't expect to be able to load 3" mags in it. Also, most ranges are specific about what kind of shot they allow.

You may want to do a bit of reading first about the differences in Sporting Clays, 5 Stand, Trap and Skeet. I shoot Sporting Clays and 5 Stand because I find it more challenging and entertaining. I have shot trap and skeet and shoot every once in a while depending on what range I'm at... but it's the same thing over and over and over...

Putting on my flame proof suit now as the Trap and Skeet guys may not find the comments above humorous :-)
    Last edited by Skullz; December 29th, 2007 at 01:57 AM.

(Jefferson County)

There are countless semi-auto, over and unders, pumps, and side x side guns that'd work great for clay pigeons for less than $1000. A pump gun is less desirable though in skeet than the other three designs due to the required input needed to rechamber. An auto, SxS or U/O will provide much faster shots on the second clay.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    what range I'm at... but it's the same thing over and over and over...

Putting on my flame proof suit now as the Trap and Skeet guys may not find the comments above humorous :-)
    You won't get any flames from me. I shoot trap exclusively and we always jag the skeet and 5 stand guys, and they commonly return the same.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Please make sure that whatever you think you've decided upon actually FITS you...shoulder it and look down the barrel. People are built differently...shotguns "off the rack" are built to standard dimensions.

FWIW, the Stoeger Condor O/U combo (12ga & 20 ga barrels) often goes on sale at Dicks....around $450. They're not real pretty but well built and have interchangable choke tubes.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast