Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Local park preemption violation?

The local park I frequent, I go there to ride my bike a lot for cardio.
    The park security has never bothered me and we nod acknowledgements as we pass.

I noticed the rules sign the other day and happened to notice it says that it is against park rules to carry any weapons or firearms.

Would this be a violation of preemption?

See sign image attached below.

Now if this does happen to be a violation of the preemption, how would I go about having this issue resolved?

---

I have the contact for the park below:

http://www.fallstwp.com/?page_id=10

Contact the Parks Dept.
    Office Phone: 215-949-9000
    Fax: 215-949-2120

Bill Reese
    Director
    reese@fallstwp.org
    ext 220

Jenna Russo
    Assistant Director
    rjenna@fallstwp.org
    ext 222

Barbara Loessy
    Administrative Assistant
    loessyb@fallstwp.org
    ext 221
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Local park preemption violation?

IMO it certainly would be. The first issue would be to find out the ordinance that they drafted and passed that would be in violation of the UFA, then be in it to their attention and see what their response would be.

(Beaver County)

I like how they link people who carry firearms with park vandals. "Violations could result in $600.00 fine. Please contact police immediately. A $250 reward will be given for any information that leads to arrest and conviction of park vandals."

[sarcasm]
    We're such a nasty, unruly bunch with our firearms. We create havoc where ever we go with our weapons of mass destruction that jump out of our holsters to shoot woman, children and puppies. How dare we walk in public with an eye to our own defense. That's what the police are for, to protect and serve! They protect us from any and all evils in the world!
    [/sarcasm]

lol

On a serious note, that is most definitely a preemption violation. As SteelCityK9Cop said, find out the exact ordinance and get in touch with the park supervisor and see if they're willing to fix their violation without a fight.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    The local park I frequent, I go there to ride my bike a lot for cardio.
    The park security has never bothered me and we nod acknowledgements as we pass.

I noticed the rules sign the other day and happened to notice it says that it is against park rules to carry any weapons or firearms.

Would this be a violation of preemption?

See sign image attached below.

Now if this does happen to be a violation of the preemption, how would I go about having this issue resolved?

---

I have the contact for the park below:

http://www.fallstwp.com/?page_id=10

Contact the Parks Dept.
    Office Phone: 215-949-9000
    Fax: 215-949-2120

Bill Reese
    Director
    reese@fallstwp.org
    ext 220

Jenna Russo
    Assistant Director
    rjenna@fallstwp.org
    ext 222

Barbara Loessy
    Administrative Assistant
    loessyb@fallstwp.org
    ext 221
    You could OC to the next town council meeting and bring up the park in person. Or start with the town ordinance and email the town director and police chief if you have your own police force.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    I like how they link people who carry firearms with park vandals. "Violations could result in $600.00 fine. Please contact police immediately. A $250 reward will be given for any information that leads to arrest and conviction of park vandals."

[sarcasm]
    We're such a nasty, unruly bunch with our firearms. We create havoc where ever we go with our weapons of mass destruction that jump out of our holsters to shoot woman, children and puppies. How dare we walk in public with an eye to our own defense. That's what the police are for, to protect and serve! They protect us from any and all evils in the world!
    [/sarcasm]

lol

On a serious note, that is most definitely a preemption violation. As SteelCityK9Cop said, find out the exact ordinance and get in touch with the park supervisor and see if they're willing to fix their violation without a fight.

Make sure that you verify the wording of the actual ordinance first. I found a park local to me with signs and wording in violation of preemption, but when I went online to see the actual ordinance I discovered that the parks rules had been brought into compliance already, the sign was merely out of date.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

I found it.

http://ecode360.com/7106921

[Added 10-13-1999 by Ord. No. 99-13 Editor's Note: This ordinance also provided for the renumbering of § 168-15, Violations and penalties, as § 168-16. ]
    A. Pets. Pets are welcome when under control and kept on a leash not greater than 10 feet in length. Owners or persons with pets are required to clean up any defecation.[Amended 8-17-2010 by Ord. No. 2010-04]
    B. Hunting. It is unlawful to hunt, shoot, trap, carry firearms or have bows and arrows or any other weapon on or within any park.[Amended 3-20-2002 by Ord. No. 2002-7]
    C. Prohibited activities.
    (1) Narcotics, loud or disruptive music or noise, fireworks, climbing trees, indecent language and immoral actions are prohibited in any park. Any form of golfing is prohibited in any park. Electronic audio or public address systems are prohibited in any park.[Amended 3-20-2002 by Ord. No. 2002-7]
    End Gun Free Zones

(Beaver County)

Just found the code as well. § 168-15. Miscellaneous provisions.

Also, here are the Board of Supervisors Contact info

Board of Supervisors

Name Term Current Status E-Mail Address
    Robert Harvie 2010-2015 Board Chairman bharvie@fallstwp.org
    Jeffry Dence 2010-2015 Board Secretary jdence@fallstwp.org
    Jonathan Snipes 2008-2013 Board Vice-Chairman jsnipes@fallstwp.org
    Brian Galloway 2012-2018 Supervisor bgalloway@fallstwp.org
    Jeffrey Rocco 2012-2018 Supervisor jrocco@fallstwp.org

Meeting Details
    The Board of Supervisors meets on the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of every month at 7:00pm in the Falls Township Public Meeting Room.
    Last edited by smco; July 30th, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: adding meeting details.

(Montgomery County)

Need to go to the townhall and or call and see if it is still on the books.
    ecode and any other online posting may be as outdated as the sign.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Bucks County)

Wow you guys are quick!

Now what is the actual statute this is in violation of?

I just wanna have my ducks in a row when I call.

Does it matter if I live in another township but I just frequent their park?
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Northampton County)

6120. *Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.
    (a) *General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    (a.1) *No right of action.--
    (1) *No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.
    (2) *Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.
    (b) *Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Dealer." *The term shall include any person engaged in the business of selling at wholesale or retail a firearm or ammunition.
    "Firearms." *This term shall have the meaning given to it in section 5515 (relating to prohibiting of paramilitary training) but shall not include air rifles as that term is defined in section 6304 (relating to sale and use of air rifles).
    "Political subdivision." *The term shall include any home rule charter municipality, county, city, borough, incorporated town, township or school district.
    (Oct. 18, 1974, P.L.768, No.260, eff. imd.; Dec. 19, 1988, P.L.1275, No.158, eff. 180 days; Oct. 4, 1994, P.L.571, No.84, eff. 60 days; Dec. 15, 1999, P.L.915, No.59, eff. imd.)
    End Gun Free Zones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast