Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Traveling to New York

I'm traveling to New York state this weekend for a concert and I'm unsure about what I can and cannot have in my vehicle while I'm there. I'm pretty sure I cannot take any firearms whatsoever, so that's out of the question. I've got an emergency/survival pack that I keep in my car at all times, and one item in said pack is a flare gun. Are these legal to take to NY? It is not considered a firearm, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some asinine law banning/restricting them. Also with the flare gun I have two sub-caliber inserts that allow me fire .22lr, and .410/.45colt. The way I understand it, these are also not considered firearms and the flare gun only becomes a firearm when the insert is actually in the flare gun. Should I just air on the side of caution and remove these things all together? It's a relatively minor issue, but with the poor weather and my lack of defense options in NY, I'd like to be as prepared as possible as long as it's legal. Thanks guys

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Traveling to New York

Quote Originally Posted by jwe2 View Post
    Also with the flare gun I have two sub-caliber inserts that allow me fire .22lr, and .410/.45colt. The way I understand it, these are also not considered firearms and the flare gun only becomes a firearm when the insert is actually in the flare gun. Should I just air on the side of caution and remove these things all together? It's a relatively minor issue, but with the poor weather and my lack of defense options in NY, I'd like to be as prepared as possible as long as it's legal.
    Well someone has to be the test case so if you volunteer, thanks.

In all seriousness I would not take any firearm into NY for any reason and the laws are readily accessible online for your viewing. They have exemptions for things such as competition shooting and transportation to the event, but I refuse to do so and in fact I boycott New York State. I do not shop there, I don't care who is in whatever concert or sporting event, I don't care what they are doing, I do not cross the border unless I absolutely have to.

I would imagine if you whipped out your flare gun to use in a defensive scenario and shot someone and you survived the fight, you'd probably be made an example and end up doing 40 years while bending over to grab your ankles constantly.

You just have to accept that as a non resident in New York State, you are a freebie victim and if the cops can't save you, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Well someone has to be the test case so if you volunteer, thanks.

In all seriousness I would not take any firearm into NY for any reason and the laws are readily accessible online for your viewing. They have exemptions for things such as competition shooting and transportation to the event, but I refuse to do so and in fact I boycott New York State. I do not shop there, I don't care who is in whatever concert or sporting event, I don't care what they are doing, I do not cross the border unless I absolutely have to.

I would imagine if you whipped out your flare gun to use in a defensive scenario and shot someone and you survived the fight, you'd probably be made an example and end up doing 40 years while bending over to grab your ankles constantly.

You just have to accept that as a non resident in New York State, you are a freebie victim and if the cops can't save you, too bad.

I think he nailed this one.. I also boycott those commies.. and refrain from that state getting one dollar of my money. (Don't forget, the ones you support likely vote)
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Stay the fuck out of NY!

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Lycoming County)

I should have worded that differently I guess,,I don't have the flare gun and barrel inserts as much for defense as for worst case scenario survival tools, i.e. using it to take small game, flares for signaling, etc. These are far fetched scenarios but in the unlikely event that things got that bad I don't suppose I would be worried about breaking a law.

I am very much against what NY is doing to gun owners, but simply not going isn't an option. Looks like I'll just be leaving these things at home to avoid any potential issues. Someone else can be the guinea pig

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IIIIIREPOIIIII View Post
    Stay the fuck out of NY!

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    Seconded. Stay out if you can!

(Jefferson County)

The flare gun may or may not be legal in NY. The possession of inserts while in possession of a suitable flare gun would certainly be a violation of the Sullivan Act and punishable by prison.

You would be more legal with a long gun in the vehicle. Outside of NYC, long guns are pretty much unregulated with exception of "Assault Weapons". A levergun or pump shotgun would probably be a good legal alternative.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 5th, 2014 at 09:03 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The flare gun may or may not be legal in NY. The possession of inserts while in possession of a suitable flare gun would certainly be a violation of the Sullivan Act and punishable by prison.

You would be more legal with a long gun in the vehicle. Outside of NYC, long guns are pretty much unregulated with exception of "Assault Weapons". A levergun or pump shotgun would probably be a good legal alternative.
    Even as a non-resident? My parents own a vacation house in NY and my dad is always complaining that he can't even take take his .22 rifle to the range up there. I was always under the assumption that any firearm was a no-no for a non-resident.