Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Cleaning M&P22 and suppressor in new sonic cleaner - pics

Finally took the new sonic cleaner out of the box, seems pretty simple to use, I'll read the directions later. Put in some water and Dawn dish detergent (I mistakenly ordered brass cleaner instead of gun cleaner), turned the heater on, waited 5 minutes, and plopped in a complete disassembled absolutely filthy M&P22 that hasn't been cleaned after the last 10+ suppressor demos (I just kept spraying Hoppes into the slide to keep it working) and after second 480 second cleaning, that baby is squeaky clean. Rather amazing considering I didn't even wipe off the crud. Took out the parts and laid them on a paper towel and they basically dried themselves from being so hot from the cleaning, then I spray canned air into the nooks to spray out the remaining water

So, the suppressor that was on the filthy M&P22 was my 2nd sonic cleaner project. It's a Huntertown Arms Guardian 22, so aluminum tube and baffles. The baffles were seized in the tube from a lack of cleaning and I normally soak them in diesel fuel to loosen them up, but wait, I have a sonic cleaner. I read that Dawn wouldn't harm the aluminum baffles, so after three 480 second cycles the baffles slid out with a bunch of sludge. I ran a fourth cycle with it disassembled. This thing is really awesome!

After the last cycle with the suppressor disassembled it was time to give them a quick rub down with 0000 steel wool. The baffles and tube have no damage, but I only used Dawn, so didn't expect any. About five minutes with 0000 steel wool gave me the final results. I could have really scrubbed and got the stuff off near each baffle port, but wasn't trying to get them looking new, just clean. I did have to scrub the inside of the tube where the first baffle port left a buildup of carbon/crud stuff, but the rest of the tube was clean.

Pic of baffles seized in tube:

After the last cycle disassembled in the sonic cleaner the baffles came out looking like this:

Then a little scrubbing with 0000 steel wool gave me this:

I'm really impressed with the results. I bought this on Amazon, here's the link:

http://amzn.com/B0018IIPFK
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Washington County)

Default Re: Cleaning M&P22 and suppressor in new sonic cleaner - pics

UPDATE: Some aluminum suppressors can not be cleaned in a sonic cleaner depending on the type of aluminum used in manufacturing. I have Huntertown Arms suppressors and they use 7075-T6 aluminum, which is a harden type that can be cleaned in sonic cleaners. They do recommend using a diluted Simple Green solution or a water/Dawn solution instead of full-strength gun cleaning fluid that you would normally use for firearms or stainless steel baffles.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Default Re: Cleaning M&P22 and suppressor in new sonic cleaner - pics

I was thinking about getting that same model. I'm terrible about cleaning my guns. Thanks.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard