Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to Move a Safe (1000 lbs.)

I am getting a safe on Wednesday. It is 72.5" tall x 42" wide x 32" deep and weighs 1015 lbs. I was thinking about rolling in on some 2" black pipe (have three or four pieces of pipe underneath it and when the bottom of the safe rolls of the last roll move it back up to the front). It will be rolling over a hard floor. Including me there will be three guys.

Is there an easier way? Is there a dolly or something I can rent made specifically for moving things like a safe?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How to Move a Safe (1000 lbs.)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I am getting a safe on Wednesday. It is 72.5" tall x 42" wide x 32" deep and weighs 1015 lbs. I was thinking about rolling in on some 2" black pipe (have three or four pieces of pipe underneath it and when the bottom of the safe rolls of the last roll move it back up to the front). It will be rolling over a hard floor. Including me there will be three guys.

Is there an easier way? Is there a dolly or something I can rent made specifically for moving things like a safe?
    That's how the pyramids were built. I'd say you're good to go. Maybe a 1500lb motorcycle floor jack would help but you're probably better off with the pipes. The wheels of a dolly or jack might gouge the floor from the lack of weight distribution.

(Bucks County)

Some of those moving dolly's will hold 1000 pounds. I've used them at work moving some really heavy stuff.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...vZc89rZ1z0tur1

Home depot also rents out tools. On there website they have floor dolly's and appliance dolly's, except the appliance one says 800lb max but maybe they have a more heavy duty one in stock.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/construct...equipment#row6

there are some good videos on youtube. it really is easier than you think. just be careful with scratching the floor.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Wayne County)

Hire someone and you can sit back and have a beer with your buds. What kind of hard floorare you talking about, hardwood, cement, tile what ,what,what? Ever think of getting a couple of dollies with wheels, that way you can move it in any direction. Have fun and I hope you paid for a lift gate on the delivery truck.

(Bucks County)

I think a strong dolly with heavy duty casters is you best bet for half a ton. You can make one pretty easy for cheap and be surprised how many things you'll use it for.

Mine was 750 lbs and I got it off the semi in my street into my pickup bed, off the tailgate and into my house by myself, with a hand truck. That was 13 years ago so I was younger, stronger and dumber then.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Hire someone and you can sit back and have a beer with your buds. What kind of hard floorare you talking about, hardwood, cement, tile what ,what,what? Ever think of getting a couple of dollies with wheels, that way you can move it in any direction. Have fun and I hope you paid for a lift gate on the delivery truck.
    safe delivery services charge 200-250 dollars

three guys is plenty

industrial dolly is a plus but not necessary
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Wayne County)

One other trick for ya, if the floor is slick like hardwood flooring puta doubled up blanket under it and drag it, you be surprised how easy it will move.

if going across hardwood an upside down piece of carpet and some pledge, over carpeted floors they will slide by themselves

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post

Last year I bought an American Security BF7250 it weighs over 2,000 pounds a friend and I moved it with a Johnson bar and 3 pieces of 1" pipe with no problems, you may want to invest in a couple of pieces of plywood if you are going over something you want to protect or carpet.Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast