Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Gun shop ideas/suggestions?

My parents and I are starting a gun shop, hoping to be open by the end of April. We have the firearm and ammunition part figured out, as well as optics, cleaning supplies, holsters, slings, etc., etc. Our question is what types of reloading supplies and muzzleloading supplies should we stock? We have a finite supply of money for those areas at first, but plan on carrying more towards hunting season. We don't know much about those areas, and would just like to be able to carry the basics at first. I am also open to any suggestions or other input you care to offer about what you like about gun shops, what you would like to see more of, etc. A little more background on our plans: We are unfortunately not rich, so we are constrained by a budget starting out. We plan to carry about 175 new firearms starting out along with 30-40 used guns, as well as a moderate amount of ammo (depending on availability), scopes, knives, etc. I would appreciate any ideas you have to offer. Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Gun shop ideas/suggestions?

Look at prominent web sites like Cabelas, Midway, Brownells, or Bass Pro and stock items they are selling based on the "most popular" filter on their web site. Also look for the items in a given category that have the highest number of ratings with a positive trend.

Basically, these big companies are doing your market research through their ratings system and you can get a pretty good idea of what items/models people are gravitating toward.

I like it when I find something at the LGS that I've been eyeing online. Most times I'll spring for it as long as the local pricing is somewhat in the ballpark of what I'd pay online (including shipping).

For example, browse Cabelas for the black powder stuff you are asking about and it should become apparent what items are selling and what doesn't move so much. Any common accessory with 50+ ratings that seems like a good product will likely move in your store as well.

Good luck!

(Lackawanna County)

I don't mean to be crass, but save your money by not opening your shop yet. If you're three months from opening and your business plan involves asking an Internet forum for stocking advice, my guess is your shop won't survive through May.

Do you have a business plan? Do you have your FFL? Do you have distributors lined up? The questions abound.

Despite my doubts, I hope you succeed. Good luck with opening the shop.

Charge $20 for transfers and you will get a lot more people through the door who might see something they like while they are there to transfer a hangun.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpg5080 View Post
    Charge $20 for transfers and you will get a lot more people through the door who might see something they like while they are there to transfer a hangun.

This is a very good idea. The profit on the time investment is very good. It will also help to build a customer base of knowlegable and high volume purchasing customers.

Consider stocking powder and some common reloading supplies (great idea above to use others for market research), the shipping on powder (both smokeless and black powder) is murder for small amounts. If you buy enough you can make it profitable.

Consider stocking a quality holster line like Comp Tac, Blade Tech, Don Hume, or better yet, hook up with Pittsburgh based Dark Star Gear. It will set you apart from everyone else who is stocking crappy Uncle Mike's nylon and the like.

I'm in Northern Beaver County, I'll be ready to stop in when you are open for business.
    Last edited by ARay; January 15th, 2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: additional content

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOilGeek View Post
    Consider stocking a quality holster line like Comp Tac, Blade Tech, Don Hume, or better yet, hook up with Pittsburgh based Dark Star Gear. It will set you apart from everyone else who is stocking crappy Uncle Mike's nylon and the like.

I'm in Northern Beaver County, I'll be ready to stop in when you are open for business.
    Quoted for truth. I get really tired of seeing crappy Uncle Mikes gear in Wal-Mart, let alone in my LGS.

I don't know that I would stock muzzleloader supplies until you you have a good base knowledge of the product. I don't buy anything firearm related from someone who sounds like a buffoon when I ask them a question.

That aside...I'll make the trip, especially if you have good coffee!

Good luck!
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpg5080 View Post

Hell I would charge $10 the first year. $15-20 after that. Advertise this fact as heavily as possible. The place would be packed for transfers. Accept online orders from customers. Stock ammo and good accessories. They'll buy other stuff no problem. Stay safely lower than your competition and bank on volume.

Find a way to stock .22 ammo. LOL.
    Good luck with your shop, I will stop by when I go to butler to visit the inlaws

(Northampton County)

Probably be better off opening a rimefire manufacturing plant. Lol. Why try to stock it when you can sell it in bulk. Lol

Seriously though. Good luck to your family endeavor.

Thanks for the suggestions! It does make sense to use the market research from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, etc. to determine popular quality products. We will be bringing on a staff member with extensive black powder and reloading knowledge, but it may be a few months after we open. I have been consulting with him, but wanted some other input too.

We do have an extensive business plan, and are applying for the FFL now. We planned on offering $20 transfers to bring people in the doors, as well as do consignments. We are going to sell guns and ammunition as low as we can, and prefer to do a high volume of sales. We also want to carry some holsters that aren't Uncle Mike's (although we may carry a few of those too). I know a guy that makes custom holsters which we plan to offer, as well as some other quality brands. Hopefully we can get lots of reasonably priced .22 ammo too!!!

We have a pretty open floor plan with a seating area to keep people from congregating near the display cases to talk. We also plan to offer basic safety courses and hopefully some other courses as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it coming!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast