Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Just signed up for Big Brother Big Sister, have a gun question

Hello,

I just signed up for BBBS, I was wondering what you guys think about how I should go about informing the organization/parents that I carry a concealed firearm. Should I not even tell the org, and just inform the parents, should I bring it up right away ext.

Any advice, and or personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Bob G

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Just signed up for Big Brother Big Sister, have a gun question

I recommend not telling anyone unless it is required as it is no one else's business.

I can foresee you being denied the ability to mentor anyone because you're a big smelly evil gun owner who wants to murder babies as they are birthed with a big bad .223 anti air assault machine barrel shrouded rifle gun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    I recommend not telling anyone unless it is required as it is no one else's business.

I can foresee you being denied the ability to mentor anyone because you're a big smelly evil gun owner who wants to murder babies as they are birthed with a big bad .223 anti air assault machine barrel shrouded rifle gun.
    I had a similar thought, the only thing is I feel that out of respect, the parent or parents of the child sort of have a right to know.

(Bucks County)

I know I am going to get slammed for this but have you considered not carrying during the time you are with the kid?

(Lackawanna County)

BBBS organization is not really firearm friendly.

They generally have policies against having a firearm when you are with your "Little".

I am guessing that if you told them about it up front, you would not be chosen to serve as a "Big". Additionally, if you did not tell them, and just carried, if they were to find out, you would lose your "Little".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jettagls00 View Post
    I know I am going to get slammed for this but have you considered not carrying during the time you are with the kid?
    I have, because it is something that I really want to do and believe in. I truly think that I could have a positive effect on someone's life. But on another note, I feel naked without my firearm, and I would like to have the ability to defend myself, and even more so the child that I will be with. I suppose though if I absolutely had to, I would leave it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncobob View Post
    I had a similar thought, the only thing is I feel that out of respect, the parent or parents of the child sort of have a right to know.
    Please explain.

Should you also tell them if you've had lessons in the martial arts, or participated in baseball, boxing, hockey, or soccer? More people are killed by hands, feet, and blunt objects like baseball bats than by guns.

Basically, I saying to not volunteer any information like that. However, you do need to read and follow the rules they set up. If it's not mentioned in the rules, then don't mention it yourself.
    Last edited by Boots_DE; January 14th, 2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: expansion for clarity.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

I'm not sure what you mean by "signed up" or how far you are into the process. Read through whatever material they gave you. You'll at least have to agree to their policies and likely have to take some training, and they will almost certainly forbid you from carrying when with a child. They specifically forbid their employees from possessing weapons (including air guns, slingshots, or anything that can be used as a club) "in Big Brothers Big Sisters of America facilities or on Big Brothers Big Sisters of America property, or while visiting agencies, donors or children." I would be astonished if they didn't extend that prohibition to volunteers as well.
    Last edited by donm; January 14th, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

The Boy Scouts, as shooting friendly as they are, have a policy prohibiting carrying a gun whilst doing Scouting stuff. I would imagine that BBBS has a similar rule and may even prohibit shooting activities. I would also be very cautious about telling people that I barely know about my gun toting or even that I have guns.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    The Boy Scouts, as shooting friendly as they are, have a policy prohibiting carrying a gun whilst doing Scouting stuff. I would imagine that BBBS has a similar rule and may even prohibit shooting activities. I would also be very cautious about telling people that I barely know about my gun toting or even that I have guns.
    That's how I am around people I don't know or know very little. I usually either wait for it to come up in conversation or listen as others are talking and judge for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast