Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Why smaller shops.

Even though they are out of my way, there is a gun shop (in Maryland) that I still go to for gunsmithing, ammo, and any other accessories. You can still buy non"assault" rifles and walk out with it the same visit, picked up a youth bolt .22 a while ago. Being close to Baltimore, they have to filter out knuckleheads, but as a long time customer I am taken care of. I needed night sights put on my Glock, two 100 rd. boxes of .22, and a bore brush. They charged me $12.

Please support your local shop, those kind of relationships beat out customer service hotlines any day.

I know a lot do, I just wanted to share my good story.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why smaller shops.

How would a PA resident buy firearms in MD and drive it back home?

(York County)

You can buy non-scary long guns in MD without waiting periods and out-of state. Unloaded, cased, in the trunk, go straight home with no stops.

Shops around me tend to charge "convenience prices," and I understand that they have expenses to cover. I guess if you can't wait, and there are plenty of people who can't, then the locals are a good option and usually have a good selection of what you need.

For me, I shop for the best deal possible, and that is usually on the internet. If I can get something online for half the price of the gunshop, then I order online and wait a week. No big deal

BTW in PA we can go into any shop and buy any type of rifle and walk out within 15 minutes too........no restrictions on mag size either

(Lycoming County)

I gnnerally buy used and have a good relationship with several LGS. I can usually get a pretty good deal. If I wanted something new than I would have to way the costs of shipping and the transfer vs. the mark up at my LGS. Usually they are with in $10-25 of the best internet deal when I figure everythin in and personally I would rather support someone local that I have a relationship with.

I also feel you get much better customer support at a LGS. Most of the ones here will stand behind what they sell and make it right if there is a problem. That in and of itself is worth a few extra bucks to me personally.

(Cumberland County)

I'm more of the "whoever sells it cheapest" is where I go which means Walmart. That's the gun though. When it comes to accessories I tend to look online since they seem to have the best deals. For ammo I'll go to local shops and the one that is real close to me sells magpul mags for like 13-14 bucks which is like 3 dollars less than the closest competitor. Now if I buy used I like to go local shops since Walmart obviously doesn't sell used guns and I don't like online gun purchases unless I can inspect it first. I want to tear it apart and make sure everything looks fine before I pay for anything.

(York County)

BTW in PA we can go into any shop and buy any type of rifle and walk out within 15 minutes too........no restrictions on mag size either[/QUOTE]

I know, that's why I live here.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    How would a PA resident buy firearms in MD and drive it back home?
    I was wondering the same thing, as I thought that ....

"Interstate sales/gift/transfer of ANY firearm (handgun or longarm) MUST involve a FFL on the buyers end. It is a felony under Federal law to sell to residents of another state FTF or by mail/shipping without involving a FFL on the buyers end."

Just wondering..................
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lackawanna County)

I will shop at my LGS on principle even if it costs me a few bucks...which it usually doesn't.

I will not buy a gun at Walmart or other big box stores.

The firearm industry is one area where the little guy can still compete with the giant China importers.

At my LGS, I deal with a person who knows about firearms...not a person whose last sale was a bicycle or a set of Wilson golf clubs.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, as I thought that ....

"Interstate sales/gift/transfer of ANY firearm (handgun or longarm) MUST involve a FFL on the buyers end. It is a felony under Federal law to sell to residents of another state FTF or by mail/shipping without involving a FFL on the buyers end."

Just wondering..................
    First post, bought at a gun shop (FFL). Out of state doesn't matter in MD for non-controlled long arms. Handguns and controlled long arms (there is a list) must go through a FFL dealer in the buyer's home state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast