Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Another positive CC experience

Had to go to the doctors office today. Upper Willow Grove Family Medicine is the place. That was my first time there. Got there right from work, so I'm concealing (under loose unbuttoned hawaian shirt )

So I'm in observation room, doing paperwork, when friendly nurse shows up and asks:
    - Are you police officer?
    - No, I'm not
    - Oh... I thought I saw you carry gun.

I smile back, so she asks directly, yet smiling:
    - Do you have a gun with you?
    - Well, as a matter of fact, I do.
    - Oh, we have policies written at the door, you have to lock your gun.
    - Ooops. Totally missed it. I'm sorry for my ignorance, where can I do that?
    - Wait a second....

So she disappeared and came back in a minute with lock box. I unholstered and sterilized my gun, put it inside, she locked it and said that she'll leave the safe in my sight and I have to ask the doctor for her when we are done, so she can unlock it for me.

The rest of the visit went as planned and my firearm was released once we were done. No hard time or questions asked whatsoever.

I find this procedure quite reasonable. Nurse's attitude and professionalism were great. I'd say this totally counts as good encounter. I'd give this office an "A" on gun friendly scale and will totally recommend it.
    Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Another positive CC experience

I'd find a new doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Had to go to the doctors office today. Upper Willow Grove Family Medicine is the place. That was my first time there. Got there right from work, so I'm concealing (under loose unbuttoned hawaian shirt )

So I'm in observation room, doing paperwork, when friendly nurse shows up and asks:
    - Are you police officer?
    - No, I'm not
    - Oh... I thought I saw you carry gun.

I smile back, so she asks directly, yet smiling:
    - Do you have a gun with you?
    - Well, as a matter of fact, I do.
    - Oh, we have policies written at the door, you have to lock your gun.
    - Ooops. Totally missed it. I'm sorry for my ignorance, where can I do that?
    - Wait a second....

So she disappeared and came back in a minute with lock box. I unholstered and sterilized my gun, put it inside, she locked it and said that she'll leave the safe in my sight and I have to ask the doctor for her when we are done, so she can unlock it for me.

The rest of the visit went as planned and my firearm was released once we were done. No hard time or questions asked whatsoever.

I find this procedure quite reasonable. Nurse's attitude and professionalism were great. I'd say this totally counts as good encounter. I'd give this office an "A" on gun friendly scale and will totally recommend it.
    If by sterilize you mean unload that seems like the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Messing around with a gun in the middle of a doctor's office, yea sounds like a positive experience to me. Sounds real safe too .
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Messing around with a gun in the middle of a doctor's office...
    If "messing around" is the way, you handle your firearm, then yes, it is indeed the dumbest thing.
    Je suis déplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    If "messing around" is the way, you handle your firearm, then yes, it is indeed the dumbest thing.
    The safest place for a gun is in its holster without a human interacting with it. You know what I meant by "messing around" but clearly you find it more important to give a smart-ass response than acknowledge/address the danger of handling a firearm in public when the firearm doesn't need to be touched. Nice priorities there...
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Op , this the reason i like the holsters with the snap loops that goes around your belt - in case you have to remove your gun for any reason you just snap the whole holster off without having to even get near your trigger.

You handled your self well , and you did not piss off a bunch of people who had the potential to kill your ass with a bad injection or something, it is not unreasonable to ask someone to remove their gun before a medical procedure, i would have done the same. And kudos to the medical office for their forward thinking in understanding that some of their patients will be armed due to the culture of the state and providing a locked box for such patients.

(Dauphin County)

OP, you might need to consider a new holster or a new location to carry at.

You seem to keep having CC encounters, which somewhat defeats the purpose of concealed carry. I would recommend a new method of concealment (New position of IWB holster, different IWB holster, etc) or possibly switching over to an actual open carry.

I try my hardest to make sure that my concealed weapon is fully concealed when I go out. Everyone prints now and again, but printing usually isn't as noticeable as you think unless you aren't being smart about it. I really don't want to discuss my gun and being armed with total strangers because I have no idea what that person's intentions are or what their views are. Gun store? Different story. Out in public... Well, not so much. If I wanted to educate the masses, I would open carry.

Since I am in still in disbelief that so many are still allowed to leave their own homes without helmets and water wings on... Let alone dress themselves or drive a motor vehicle... Well I choose to mind my own business and carry on with my day.

(Erie County)

Can’t understand why it is that some folks think that when handling a firearm, not holstered, the firearm will magically go off, when there is no mattress around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Monroe County)

I kinda have to agree with zack. Why didn't you just remove your entire holster and place that in the lock box? The more you handle the better change of a ND. How would you deal with having one in the middle of a doctors office?

The only time my firearm is not in it's holster is when I'm target shooting, cleaning it or protecting myself. The more you "sterilize it" the more likely you are going to have a ND.

/jmho

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    I kinda have to agree with zack. Why didn't you just remove your entire holster and place that in the lock box? The more you handle the better change of a ND. How would you deal with having one in the middle of a doctors office?

The only time my firearm is not in it's holster is when I'm target shooting, cleaning it or protecting myself. The more you "sterilize it" the more likely you are going to have a ND.

/jmho

Tootie, have you ever had an ND, at the range? Seems like a lot of shooting and loading, and handling of the firearm. It seems like a lot of care is taken with the firearm, at the range. This kind of care should apply, no matter where the firearm is being handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast