Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lancaster County outdoor ranges worth going to?

Looking for an outdoor range for the other half and I. Are there any accepting new members and without a bunch of nonsense hoops to jump through?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Lancaster County outdoor ranges worth going to?

Try Beartown, its pretty cheap and minimum bullshit http://beartownsportsman.com/index.html

(Lancaster County)

I second Beartown, been a member there for several years. not to much bling,very basic although the club has made many great improvements lately with the pistol benches and rifle stations.The 100yd has a slight grade up hill to the targets.No range officer to speak of but some club officers are sometimes there enforcing the rules. No rapid fire due to some jack ass a few years back with a bumpstock ruined it for all of us, there are some close neighbors, Me being one of them. the $25/yr gets paid back with the volume of reloading brass I pick up there. follow the posted rules ( which aren't too terrible) and you will be fine

Penn Dutch is also a great facility with many specific ranges out to 400 yards, I believe they may be at membership limit and you may be put on a waiting list. Not expensive, never real crowded and nicely maintained. New Holland Rod and Gun nearby is way too spendy for me
    https://www.penndutchsportsmen.com/

PickingPA Guest

Unless Beartown changed their rules in the last 3 years…. It’s not just “no rapid fire”, it’s NO ARs

I would highly recommend Penn Dutch

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    Unless Beartown changed their rules in the last 3 years*. It*s not just *no rapid fire*, it*s NO ARs

No AR? that sucks

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    I second Beartown, been a member there for several years. not to much bling,very basic although the club has made many great improvements lately with the pistol benches and rifle stations.The 100yd has a slight grade up hill to the targets.No range officer to speak of but some club officers are sometimes there enforcing the rules. No rapid fire due to some jack ass a few years back with a bumpstock ruined it for all of us, there are some close neighbors, Me being one of them. the $25/yr gets paid back with the volume of reloading brass I pick up there. follow the posted rules ( which aren't too terrible) and you will be fine

Penn Dutch is also a great facility with many specific ranges out to 400 yards, I believe they may be at membership limit and you may be put on a waiting list. Not expensive, never real crowded and nicely maintained. New Holland Rod and Gun nearby is way too spendy for me
    https://www.penndutchsportsmen.com/
    Penn Dutch site says membership is closed

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    Unless Beartown changed their rules in the last 3 years*. It*s not just *no rapid fire*, it*s NO ARs

Not sure where you heard that, I live very close to the range and know many of the members and officers,I shoot My AR's there regularly. Rules state "no automatic fire, one shot per trigger pull" "any legal firearm"

http://beartownsportsman.com/shootin...ry-ranges.html

(Lancaster County)

Not sure where you heard that, I live very close to the range and know many of the members and officers,I shoot My AR's there regularly. Rules state "no automatic fire, one shot per trigger pull" "any legal firearm"

10. Limit 10 rounds on all firearms.

No more than 10 rounds in a mag is a rule there?!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    10. Limit 10 rounds on all firearms.

No more than 10 rounds in a mag is a rule there?!
    unfortunately yes, We had some fuckstain with a bumpstock there a few years ago ruin it for every member, As I said I live very close and the shooting that day was on par with the MG ranges at Camp Lejeune. several hours all morning long while doing yard work I was telling the wife this will have the range closed permanently, there are farms and houses near by that complained (rightly so) subsequently the rules had to be changed to satisfy the close neighbors.

still beats the three round limit at the state game lands and the weirdos that frequent there

PickingPA Guest

Directly from one of the officers, not in an enforcement way, just general conversation, off site. I told him I wasn’t aware of that rule, he told me the same thing about bump stock guy.

I did get reprimanded one time on the range by a guy that said he “lived nearby”, but not an officer. I was showing my son how slam-fire works on my old Ithaca 37. “Never had to warn someone about rapid fire with a shotgun before”. Maybe that was you?

Anyway, I just allowed my membership to lapse at Beartown and put in an application at Penn Dutch, been there ever since. A little further drive, but that’s ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast