Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Louisiana May Not Take Stimulus Money

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/02...tsheet_4807323
    Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, a potential 2012 GOP presidential candidate, has suggested his state may not be interested in all of the roughly $4 billion allotted to it in the economic stimulus package to be signed by President Obama today.

"We'll have to review each program, each new dollar to make sure that we understand what are the conditions, what are the strings and see whether it's beneficial for Louisiana to use those dollars," Jindal said, according to CBS affiliate WWLTV.

Jindal is scheduled to give the response to the president’s not-exactly-a-state-of-the-union address next Tuesday.

Louisiana reportedly faces a possible $2 billion budget shortfall next year. It has been allocated $538,575,876 for infrastructure spending in the stimulus package, and the White House predicts the bill will create 50,000 jobs in the state.

As WWLTV notes, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has said he’ll take any money that Louisiana turns down.

The Republican National Committee, meanwhile, isn’t letting up in its criticism of Democrats over the stimulus package. Following the White House’s releases trumpeting the bill, the RNC sent an email to reporters offering research on “Democrats’ broken pledges on transparency, bipartisanship, pork, and job creation.”

The email quotes news stories on order to criticize Democrats for breaking a promise to post the bill online 48 hours in advance of a vote, for not working in a bipartisan manner, for putting out a package “loaded with wasteful earmarks,” and for overestimating the bill’s job creation potential.

House Republican Leader John Boehner also put out a statemnet hammering the deal.

“The flawed bill the President will sign today is a missed opportunity, one for which our children and grandchildren will pay a hefty price," he said. "It’s a raw deal for American families, providing just $1.10 per day in relief for workers while saddling every family with $9,400 in added debt to pay for special-interest programs and pork-barrel projects. It will do little to create jobs, and will do more harm than good to middle-class families and our economy."
    Kinda have a feeling it wont happen, but good for them if they do deny it.
    Do we know if any other states are considering this?
    If I knew the world would come to pieces tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Louisiana May Not Take Stimulus Money

4 Billion means jack shit to Louisiana... they are still getting shitloads of cash for rebuilding that cess-pool that is called "New Orleans".

You want to impress us? Turn down FEMA aid and fix your own fucking problems without dragging the country down because you are stupid enough to build a coastal city BELOW sea level.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Schuylkill County)

Yes, there are other states considering not taking money.

The Dems are claiming that some Republican Governors are making a political statement as they position themselves for a presidential run in 2012. They claim the governors know that they can be overruled by the state legislature and so the stance is just posturing.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    4 Billion means jack shit to Louisiana... they are still getting shitloads of cash for rebuilding that cess-pool that is called "New Orleans".

You want to impress us? Turn down FEMA aid and fix your own fucking problems without dragging the country down because you are stupid enough to build a coastal city BELOW sea level.
    No shit, lol...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

Agree with the first part I bolded, but gimmie a break...New Orleans is a very old city and, in many ways, one of the most important cultural centers of this country outside of NYC, Chicago and (unfortunately) LA.

I'm really getting annoyed at the suburban and country folk here constantly insulting us city folk. Forget about "reverse discrimination", what we got on PAFOA is "reverse elitism". Damned "suburban slickers"

But back on topic-- Louisiana ain't turnin down shit. Just political posturing by Jindal. You don't get to be governor of that state without being a corrupt, cut-throat motherfucker, but with populist appeal, regardless of what letter comes after your name.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    Agree with the first part I bolded, but gimmie a break...New Orleans is a very old city and, in many ways, one of the most important cultural centers of this country outside of NYC, Chicago and (unfortunately) LA.
    Having been there too numerous times to count, I gathered what he was saying was the non-French Quarter...which wasn't damaged. Take away the quarter and the garden district, and you have a whooooooole lotta Orleans I don't wanna see, lol. And I love cities. [seriously, cross Rampart after dark, and I will guarantee your ass will be shot.]

But yeah, the quarter is priceless. historically speaking, fire has been their main problem...though they're on a 190 year safe streak...heh...

(Lehigh County)

When it comes to states claiming they won't take money, well... I'm from Missouri.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

My understanding was that states did not have the option to refuse the money. With almost 1200 pages I will admit I haven't read the bill, but it would not surprise me if there were a clause in there that forced states to take the funds just like the banks were forced to accept the bailout money.

(Bucks County)

Puhhhlease....show me a Politician and I'll show you a whore and they will suck just about anything.......for a buck.

(Lehigh County)

Forced to accept money?

"Hey, ref... keep it fair, keep it fair!" (pushes $20 bill into ref's hand)

"Oh, I can't accept this." (nonchalantly puts $20 in his back pocket)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast