Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default New York state laws

I have a chance to buy a house from a relative up there. But I really like living in a free state. Has anyone else had to deal with their commie laws?
    Last edited by RB Bellows; June 27th, 2023 at 03:46 PM.

Default Re: New York state laws

Nope, and never will. Why would you willingly move into a communist state? Rifles banned, good luck getting a ccw, let alone a pistol permit. Any guns you have are likely illegal, so you would have to forfeit them.

But by all means, move there, vote for the right people, and maybe in 100 years you'll get your rights back. But I wouldn't count on it. Also no stand your ground, no castile doctrine, no right to self defense. Your life is worth less than the person who is killing you.

(Bucks County)

They seem worse than Jersey ever thought about being. Maybe I just needed someone else to bring me to my senses. Thank you.

(Washington County)

I went to college in upstate NY about a decade ago. They basically had the federal AWB still in place, and their pistol permits were really hard to get. Part of the pistol permit thing depended on where you lived and the local politics. I knew people that had them, but it was like interviewing for a top secret clearance or something, and every pistol was listed on your permit. Most permits were marked for sporting use only and not for protection. Scary guns had those classic AWB limits, like no flash hiders or adjustable stocks, pointless things. No high cap magazines unless they were pre-ban. The sad thing is, there is a strong gun culture up there. We went shooting almost every week, and lots of friends had an AR or AK that conformed to the rules. Tons of fishing, hunting, clay shooting. They have USPSA and other pistol competition up there, but everyone is limited to lower mag capacity, no competition exemptions. Then they passed the SAFE act and banned more stuff. It only has gotten worse over the past decade. Upstate NY has a lot of beauty, things to do, decent people and all, but living there as a gun nut is not fun unless you have an FFL and run a business. The only people I know up there with cool stuff are manufacturer type FFLs. The rest of my gun friends in NYS just look at what I can buy across the imaginary line on the map and shake their heads.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northampton County)

🤔 C'mon man you know the thing see a therapist Good luck 🤗

(Cameron County)

Born and bred in WNY. Left there in October '22. Wish we had done it years ago but couldn't (family obligations). There is no way in hell I'm ever living in that liberal crap hole again.

Run away. If the politics don't scare you off, the taxes should.

(Chester County)

Buy the house for low and sell it for high and use the money to buy a house in a free state.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by RB Bellows View Post
    I have a chance to buy a house from a relative up there. But I really like living in a free state. Has anyone else had to deal with their commie laws?
    Yup. Still living behind enemy lines today.

The Bruen SCOTUS decision was a win, but the net result in NY has been a significant loss. Previously, if you didn't live in NYC, it was not particularly difficult to get a concealed carry permit, and you could carry in pretty much all the same places you guys do in PA. Post-Bruen, anyone who isn't a prohibited person can get a CCW permit, but they're not worth the paper or plastic they're printed on. This is due to the so-called Concealed Carry Improvement Act (CCIA), which basically took PA's "no gun signs" laws and reversed the direction.

Meaning, it is a felony to carry on private property (business or residential) unless they have posted conspicuous "GUNS ALLOWED HERE" signs, or you have otherwise received the explicit permission of the owner/proprietor. You can guess how well that worked out.

My advice: pass on the house, bro. Pass on the house.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by RB Bellows View Post
    Yeah! That's why I moved to PA. Would have preferred Idaho, Wyoming or S. Dak. but wife objected.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

I'm beginning to think that I'm a villain no matter where I live and I might as well accept that fact and run with it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness