Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Pet chickens killed... questions

My parents live on a decent parcel of land in Bucks County that backs up to a development. We keep a number of animals, including chickens, goats, peacocks and guinea hens. They are all pets - the hens lay eggs, but most of the roosters are almost dog-like. They come when called, will let you pet them, eat from your hand, etc. My favorite (named Pants) would run over to me every time I went to visit.

Earlier today, my father came down our long driveway to see two neighborhood dogs in a pile of feathers, tearing one of them apart. He grabbed a shovel and ran them off, but they had already killed 2 of our pets. We found a third one in the woods, and he is beat up, but it looks like he will probably make it.

They went to the house my father saw them run back to and knocked on the door. The dogs were home and barking inside, but they ignored the door.

Suggestions on what to do next? We are calling the police to document it, but I have no idea where it will go from there. We are dog owners and lovers (dogs were inside at the time of the attack), and don't wish to take more lives; however, we are worried that they may attack again.

At the point when the police come out, does anyone know what will happen?

What happens if they do come back to prowl again? What are we within our rights to do? I wish I would have been home at the time and been able to defend them. I am the only one on the property that would have had immediate access to a firearm.

Chris

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pet chickens killed... questions

§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(A) LEGAL TO KILL CERTAIN DOGS.-- Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of
    pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household
    pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license
    tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or
    otherwise for such killing.

Guess that answers that. Like I said, we don't want to kill these dogs, but we want to make sure that they don't come back! Other input is welcomed.

(Bucks County)

I guess the dog-owners response will determine whether or not this gets this far:

ARTICLE V-A. DANGEROUS DOGS

3 P.S. § 459-502-A (2001)

§ 459-502-A. Registration

(A) SUMMARY OFFENSE OF HARBORING A DANGEROUS DOG.-- Any person who has been attacked by
    one or more dogs, or anyone on behalf of such person, a person whose domestic animal has been
    killed or injured without provocation, the State dog warden or the local police officer may file a
    complaint before a district justice, charging the owner or keeper of such a dog with harboring a
    dangerous dog. The owner or keeper of the dog shall be guilty of the summary offense of harboring a
    dangerous dog if the district justice finds beyond a reasonable doubt that the following elements of
    the offense have been proven:

(1) The dog has done one or more of the following:

(i) Inflicted severe injury on a human being without provocation on public or private
    property.

(ii) Killed or inflicted severe injury on a domestic animal without provocation while off
    the owner's property.

(iii) Attacked a human being without provocation.

(iv) Been used in the commission of a crime.

(2) The dog has either or both of the following:

(i) A history of attacking human beings and/or domestic animals without provocation.

(ii) A propensity to attack human beings and/or domestic animals without provocation. A
    propensity to attack may be proven by a single incident of the conduct described in
    paragraph (1)(i), (ii), (iii) or (iv).

(3) The defendant is the owner or keeper of the dog.

(A.1) EFFECT OF CONVICTION.-- A finding by a district justice that a person is guilty under
    subsection (a) of harboring a dangerous dog shall constitute a determination that the dog is a
    dangerous dog for purposes of this act.

(B) REPORT OF CONVICTION.-- The district justice shall make a report of a conviction under
    subsection (a) to the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, identifying the convicted party, identifying and
    describing the dog or dogs and providing such other information as the bureau might reasonably
    require.

(C) CERTIFICATE REQUIRED.-- It is unlawful for an owner to have a dangerous dog without a
    certificate of registration issued under this article. This article shall not apply to dogs used by law
    enforcement officials for police work, certified guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf nor
    aid dogs for the handicapped.

(D) DISPOSITION OF DOG DURING COURT PROCEEDINGS.-- An owner or keeper of any dog who
    has been charged with harboring a dangerous dog shall keep such dog or dogs confined in a proper
    enclosure or, when off the property of the owner or keeper for purposes of veterinary care, muzzled
    and on a leash until such time a report is made under subsection (b). If an appeal of a decision under
    subsection (b) is filed, such dog or dogs shall remain so confined until such proceedings are
    completed. It shall be unlawful for an owner or keeper of a dog who has been charged with harboring
    a dangerous dog to dispense the dog in any manner except to be humanely killed. A violation of this
    subsection shall constitute a summary offense accompanied by a fine of not less than $ 200.

3 P.S. § 459-503-A (2001)

§ 459-503-A. Requirements

A) ENCLOSURE AND INSURANCE.-- The department shall issue, upon payment of all fees under
    subsection (b), a certificate of registration to the owner of such animal within 30 days of notification,
    in writing, by the department that the dog has been determined to be dangerous and that the owner
    presents sufficient evidence of:

(1) A proper enclosure to confine a dangerous dog and the posting of a premises with a
    clearly visible warning sign that there is a dangerous dog on the property. In
    addition, the owner shall conspicuously display a sign with a warning symbol that
    informs children of the presence of a dangerous dog.

(2)(i) A surety bond in the amount of $ 50,000 issued by an insurer authorized to do
    business within this Commonwealth, payable to any person injured by the dangerous
    dog; or

(ii) a policy of liability insurance, such as homeowner's insurance, issued by an insurer
    authorized to do business within this Commonwealth in the amount of at least
    $50,000, insuring the owner for any personal injuries inflicted by the dangerous dog.
    The policy shall contain a provision requiring the secretary to be named as additional
    insured for the sole purpose of being notified by the insurance company of
    cancellation, termination or expiration of the liability insurance policy.

(B) FEE.-- The registration fee for a dangerous dog certificate shall be $ 25 or such amount set by
    the department as may be necessary to cover the costs of issuing this registration and enforcing this
    section. This registration fee shall be in addition to any other fees collectable under this act and shall be credited to the Dog Law Restricted Account for the purpose of administering and enforcing this act.

(C) UNIFORM IDENTIFIABLE SYMBOL.-- The department shall have the authority to establish a
    uniform identifiable symbol for visual recognition of dangerous dogs. The "Ugh Dog" symbol developed
    by Animal-Vues may be adopted as the standard symbol to identify dangerous dogs.

(D) OTHER REQUIREMENTS.-- The owner shall sign a statement attesting that:

(1) The owner shall maintain and not voluntarily cancel the liability insurance required
    by this section during the period for which licensing is sought unless the owner
    ceases to own the dangerous dog prior to expiration of the license.

(2) The owner shall notify the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, the State dog warden
    and the local police department within 24 hours if a dangerous dog is on the loose, is
    unconfined, has attacked another animal, has attacked a human being, has died or
    has been sold or donated. If the dangerous dog has been sold or donated, the owner
    shall also provide the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement and the State dog warden
    with the name, address and telephone number of the new owner of the dangerous
    dog.

3 P.S. § 459-504-A (2001)

§ 459-504-A. Control of dangerous dogs

It is unlawful for an owner of a dangerous dog to permit the dog to be outside the proper enclosure
    unless the dog is muzzled and restrained by a substantial chain or leash and under physical restraint
    of a responsible person. The muzzle shall be made in a manner that will not cause injury to the dog or
    interfere with its vision or respiration but shall prevent it from biting any person or animal or from
    destroying property with its teeth.

(Philadelphia County)

If I saw any dog attacking any of my pets, I would not hesitate to put that animal down.

In your case I would file a report with the local PD. Do you know who the dogs belong to? As far as I know, there are leash laws in PA and the owners of the animals should be responsible for any damages their dogs cause. Some one will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

(Bucks County)

Just spent time reading through the law and there are significant repercussions for the owners of a dog who kill a domestic animal without provocation, as posted above. There is also no liability for any person who defends their domestic animals in that case, which means I won't hesitate to act if forced to. That being said, I believe it is illegal in Lower Makefield Township to discharge a firearm... wonder how that works?

Chris

Not worth shooting them. The liberal nuts where you are wouldn't take lightly to that (the judges).
    Last edited by sjl127; January 27th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    Not worth shooting them. The liberal nuts where you are wouldn't take lightly to that (the judges).
    I don't think that anyone here would suggest that.

However, if they happened to fall on a bullet.........

(Erie County)

Private Criminal Complaint

Halfway down the page, comes in PDF and MS word.

(Philadelphia County)

If you know who owns the dogs, go over and have a talk to them.

Explain to them that you love animals, but have found their animals killing yours.
    If it happens again, make it clear that you WILL put their animals down; all the while perfectly following the law.

Be gentle, courteous, and beg them to not let that happen again, but do make it very clear that if their pets kill your pets, you won't have any other option.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    If you know who owns the dogs, go over and have a talk to them.

Explain to them that you love animals, but have found their animals killing yours.
    If it happens again, make it clear that you WILL put their animals down; all the while perfectly following the law.

Be gentle, courteous, and beg them to not let that happen again, but do make it very clear that if their pets kill your pets, you won't have any other option.
    Lori;

I'm with you on this someone shoots my dog without her attacking him/her I'd be very very very pissed off. Enought to go over the edge. Tell me I'll replace what the dog destroyed and punish the dog and keep her in the house or on a lead from them on.

The OP doesn't say how the dogs got out are if they always run wild

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast