Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Laptop won't charge

Since there seems to be more than a few computer people on this site I'm throw this out you for help. Seems the rechager socket inside of my daughter's laptop (compac) has broken free and we can no longer charge the battery. I've had this back to CompUSA twice and they have fixed it both times under warranty. Both times it shorted inside and got very hot and melted the charger plug. Well it's no longer under warranty and CompUSA is no longer in King of Prussia. Is this some thing i can attempt to re-solder into place or do i need to take it to a local comptuer shop? Or am i SOL with this poor design?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Laptop won't charge

were it a desktop, I'd say go for it, but laptops are different.

take it to a shop, and see if they can provide a better solution than the CompUSA R-tards.

do not take it to BestBuy
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd almost say its not worth to fix, unless you can do it yourself.

If you take it to ANY store or shop, it'll cost you at least a couple of hundred bucks, and thats probably just for them to take a look at it.

I'd say put that money towards a new laptop, finance a Dell, and get the extended and accidental care warranty. Nowadays, you can buy a sweet laptop for waaaaay less than $800.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Mifflin County)

I KNEW when I read the title this was going to be about a Compaq. My advice, do like I did and replace the POS with a better computer. My wife and I each bought Compaq laptops, and they both did the same thing. Mine like 4 or 5 times under warranty. Replaced them both with Toshibas and have been much happier. The Compaq was the absolute worst POS computer I ever owned. Won't buy another one.

(Washington County)

It has been done before, I have and my friend has. This is both with our own laptops so there wasn't anyone to answer to if we messed up. Its not only repairing the connection but in our cases the entire machine had to come apart first...and then go back together.

My neighbor's HP recently broke like this and they were quoted $100 to repair it by a shop, not a chain store.

(Allegheny County)

From the sound of your issue you might want to check for recalls from Compaq or contact Compaq directly, if it was in for service several times CompUsa should warranty their work/parts even if the base unit is no longer under warranty so I would contact them and find out how that works. But all in all, before you plunk down cash on a new one contact compusa and compaq.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    CompUsa should warranty their work/parts even if the base unit is no longer under warranty
    compusa went out of business recently, so this route prolly won't work.

if there is anything on the hard drive you do not want to lose, if you do try to solder anything, i would personally pull the hard drive first...just in case.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    compusa went out of business recently, so this route prolly won't work.

if there is anything on the hard drive you do not want to lose, if you do try to solder anything, i would personally pull the hard drive first...just in case.
    CompUSA closed stores, if you check they are still doing web sales so the company is still in business. As far as that goes, back up all your date as LRT suggested before you do anything, including having it sent in for service or taken anywhere for service.

(Fulton County)

Shoot it and get another?

(Chester County)

My dell does the same thing. It can be a ba power supply or a loose terminal post in the laptop. I to azt to get mine fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast