Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Sen. Conrad: People Who Don’t Believe in Civilian Trials for Terrorists Should Leave

Sen. Conrad Suggests That People Who Don’t Believe in Civilian Trials for Terrorists and ‘Go Somewhere Else’

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/57508

(CNSNews.com) – Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) told CNSNews.com that civilian courts are well-suited to prosecute al Qaeda terrorists and that "if people don't believe in our system, maybe they ought to go somewhere else.”

Conrad also dismissed a question about the rights of terrorists captured on foreign battlefields and the rules of evidence in terms of a civilian court trial as not serious.

Attorney General Eric Holder announced on Nov. 13 that five suspects in the 9/11 attacks would be tried in a civilian court in New York City instead of facing a military trial.

On Capitol Hill on Nov. 19, CNSNews.com asked Conrad: “We’re going to have a civilian trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. If our troops--the evidence against him is going to be found in Afghanistan, there on the battlefield--if our troops need to enter a house and they think that there’s evidence there, should they have to establish probable cause and get a search warrant from a judge first?”

Conrad said: “You’re not being serious about these questions, are you?”

CNSNews.com: “[Yes], in a civilian trial. If I was on trial or you were on trial, that would have to be [done].”

Conrad responded, “We have tried terrorists in our courts and done so very successfully in the past and that is our system. So if people don’t believe in our system, maybe they ought to go somewhere else. I believe in America.”

The Fourth Amendment, which protects all defendants in civilian courts, prohibits the government from searching or seizing evidence without first establishing probable cause and obtaining a warrant--based on that probable cause--from a judge.

The Fourth Amendment reads: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

According to the Supreme Court in Weeks v. United States (1914), the government cannot use evidence obtained without a search warrant.

“The tendency of those who execute the criminal laws of the country to obtain conviction by means of unlawful seizures and enforced confessions, the latter often obtained after subjecting accused persons to unwarranted practices destructive of rights secured by the Federal Constitution, should find no sanction in the judgments of the courts, which are charged at all times with the support of the Constitution, and to which people of all conditions have a right to appeal for the maintenance of such fundamental rights,” the Court found.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sen. Conrad: People Who Don’t Believe in Civilian Trials for Terrorists Should Le

Oh, you mean the like the United States of America?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Sen. Conrad: People Who Don’t Believe in Civilian Trials for Terrorists Should Le

I propose an exchange...Mr. Conrad can be given buster2209's British citizenship and we'll give Conrad's American citizenship to buster...I'm sure both would be infinitely happier with their new country of residence

(Mercer County)

Message to our troops: kill bad guys. Don't capture them. If you don't kill them, some sniveling weasels in the US will consider them political prisoners. They will call them criminals instead of terrorists. They will want to give them the same treatment as soldiers of an official, uniformed army - even though they clearly aren't.

Message to terrorists: surrender. Go directly to a prison in America, where you will receive food and shelter, unlike your present situation. You will be able to recruit from the angry population in the prison. You will then receive a show trial, gleefully carried by the statist press corps. If by some incredible reason you are found guilty, you will live the rest of your life in prison, where you can continue recruiting for the rest of your life.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lehigh County)

Sad to see a Democrat doing the same exact shit that pissed me off when the Republicans did it.

"If you don't like ______" Then get out!

Fuck you Mr. Jackass.. The freedom to say shit that pisses you off and you hate with ever fiber of your soul is the greatest thing about this country.

Telling someone "If they don't like it, then leave" is pretty much the most unamerican thing you can say to someone.

/siiiighhhh.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I propose an exchange...Mr. Conrad can be given buster2209's British citizenship and we'll give Conrad's American citizenship to buster...I'm sure both would be infinitely happier with their new country of residence
    There's a huge problem with that though. It makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Message to our troops: kill bad guys. Don't capture them. If you don't kill them, some sniveling weasels in the US will consider them political prisoners. They will call them criminals instead of terrorists. They will want to give them the same treatment as soldiers of an official, uniformed army - even though they clearly aren't.

Message to terrorists: surrender. Go directly to a prison in America, where you will receive food and shelter, unlike your present situation. You will be able to recruit from the angry population in the prison. You will then receive a show trial, gleefully carried by the statist press corps. If by some incredible reason you are found guilty, you will live the rest of your life in prison, where you can continue recruiting for the rest of your life.
    I'm reminded of a quote that goes something like this: Kill'em all and let God sort them out.

If you don't believe in God then just subscribe to the first part

The constitution refers to "the people" meaning citizens of the US. He is not protected, necessarily, by its provisions.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    "if people don't believe in our system, maybe they ought to go somewhere else.”
    I believe in "our system" as I've always known it, and as I believe it has been spelled out in the Constitution. The problem is that our country has changed so much in the last year that I have a hard time recognizing "our system" in this country anymore. I am beginning to feel like I'm already living "somewhere else".

Yes, I am exaggerating...I still think this is the greatest country on earth, but I do feel that it has been damaged.
    Last edited by Kendrickson; November 27th, 2009 at 09:47 AM.

(Chester County)

i wonder whats going to happen after the aquital

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mcmcallister View Post
    i wonder whats going to happen after the aquital
    They already said: if there's an acquittal, they'll continue to hold them indefinitely. This is just a show trial that only counts if they get the verdict they want.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast