Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Could Sunday hunting be on its' way? HB 1760

If big game numbers is an issue then treat big game SEPARATELY. Don't derail the entire concept because of a single instance. Dove, duck, goose, squirrel, etc. are all doing quite fine but are still currently blocked from hunting on Sunday. Open that up. If population management issues come up, then have the PGC able to say so AFTER the statute issue is fixed--they can set a season however they want, and if they want it to exclude Sundays THEN let THEM do so, but fix the legislative law FIRST.

And no, just because an issue can be put into words does not make it have equal standing with something that is factual and stands up to examination. Sure, people might say it over and over but stupidity has no place ruling the day.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lehigh County)

Huh. I stay out of your hunting area 6 days a week and only ask you stay out of my hiking area 1 day. Sounds like a great concession for each of us.

I can only imagine how ticked a hunter would be if a hiker scared his or her game away.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

Quote Originally Posted by xxthe_beastxx View Post
    Huh. I stay out of your hunting area 6 days a week and only ask you stay out of my hiking area 1 day. Sounds like a great concession for each of us.

I can only imagine how ticked a hunter would be if a hiker scared his or her game away.
    And in here I have had answer for over a decade. Its really simple. So simple, it'll never happen.

Sunday hunting you say? Easy. On Sunday, hunting is permitted on private property and state game lands.

State parks, State Forests, Federal lands closed to hunting on Sundays.
    End of issue and problem.

If, through time, it is determined that additional areas like State and Federal Forests can be opened up, well have at. But for an initial offering, private land and State Game Lands only.

CL

(Lehigh County)

Why must hunting happen seven days a week? I would trade Saturday for Sunday in a heartbeat.

(Chester County)

And most hunters stay out of "your hiking area" for all but 2 weeks of the year.

Why can't you give up 2 more days and only lose 14 days out of 365 in a year for hiking?

(Perry County)

There is nothing preventing you from hiking on Saturday or Friday or Tuesday. It's not a concession, it's a prohibition on a single activity. Hunters have hikers, dog walkers, mountain bikers and host of other outdoor enthusiasts interrupt their hunt.

For many, the only days they have to hunt are the weekends. Hunters don't have exclusive use of the woods on Saturday so why should other users have a hunter free day?

This fear of being shot is irrational. You're far more likely to die in car crash on your way to your hiking spot than you are being shot while out hiking.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    If big game numbers is an issue then treat big game SEPARATELY. Don't derail the entire concept because of a single instance. Dove, duck, goose, squirrel, etc. are all doing quite fine but are still currently blocked from hunting on Sunday. Open that up. If population management issues come up, then have the PGC able to say so AFTER the statute issue is fixed--they can set a season however they want, and if they want it to exclude Sundays THEN let THEM do so, but fix the legislative law FIRST.

And no, just because an issue can be put into words does not make it have equal standing with something that is factual and stands up to examination. Sure, people might say it over and over but stupidity has no place ruling the day.
    We're discussing two different things then. One, the PAGC having control to regulate Sunday hunting, or two, abolishing the ability to ban Sunday hunting because its a blue law.

I'm all for the PGC having the authority over Sunday hunting, as it seems a management tool to me.

I am not for Sunday hunting at all, but I'd like the PGC to have authority over the issue.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

This happens relatively often in high use public lands. Some hunters get royally pissed at hikers and dog walkers.

Though, to be fair I've gotten pretty hot under the collar at muzzle loader hunters while archery hunting that ruined my hunts.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Hunters don't have exclusive use of the woods on Saturday so why should other users have a hunter free day?

This fear of being shot is irrational.
    Hunters absolutely have exclusive use of the woods with this hiker.

I have very many hunter friends that have told me they have had bullets land ridiculously close to them, in other words, they were shot at.

(Perry County)

Hunters absolutely have exclusive use of the woods with this hiker.

I have very many hunter friends that have told me they have had bullets land ridiculously close to them, in other words, they were shot at.
    Well that's you, many others don't make that same choice.

I've hunted for 36 years. On game lands, on private property and in all that time, only once have I had a close encounter with a projectile. My father and I were pheasant hunting in the 70s as part of a drive. We had a low arc shot column come down around us and a BB hit my father in the arm with sufficient energy for him to say "ow" upon impact.

I suspect many a woodsman has inadvertently driven a deer to a hunter and the hunter has taken it in their general vicinity. The report of a rifle in close proximity while in the quiet woods can be quite startling and even alarming.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast