Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Stony Creek Outfitters indoor range now open

As a small business owner there's nothing as rewarding or as frustrating at times. Wish you nothing but success. Any plans on making your range open to public? I'm out your way several times a year and will stop by. Would be nice to be able to use the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
    John... The only Hornady ammo I currently have on the shelf is in .357sig.

You may want to do a little research on the CD ammo before buying a bunch. I've read some not so happy reviews about it... "Not going bang" when pulling the trigger. There is/was a big thread about it on AR15.com a few months ago.

The only PD ammo I have in .45acp right now is Rem Golden Saber in 185 and 230gr loads... along with a box of Rem UMC JHP's.
    Thanks for the reply. I have to admit that I bought them based on the Hornady name, and the fact that they looked a lot less likely to catch on the feed ramp of my carry pistol and missfeed like the WWB personal defense rounds I tried. These are shaped a lot closer to a FMJ round, all of which feed just fine. After looking at the reviews you mentioned however, I have my doubts. There didn't seem to be any reviews of the 45 ACP rounds available, and the ones for the other calibers were older reviews. Not sure if they worked out the primer issues yet or not.

I think I'll stop by sometime soon and check out your shop. Some range time will be refreshing.
    Also, I inquired a while back about shotguns on your range. Now that the range has been open for a while, have you decided to restrict them or the ammo being fired in the range? My zombie killer needs a workout with the 00 buck I keep it loaded with. Practice, practice, practice... but I'd hate to have to leave it in the car if it won't be allowed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnXD View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have to admit that I bought them based on the Hornady name, and the fact that they looked a lot less likely to catch on the feed ramp of my carry pistol and missfeed like the WWB personal defense rounds I tried. These are shaped a lot closer to a FMJ round, all of which feed just fine. After looking at the reviews you mentioned however, I have my doubts. There didn't seem to be any reviews of the 45 ACP rounds available, and the ones for the other calibers were older reviews. Not sure if they worked out the primer issues yet or not.
    There's plenty of info on 45 ACP here:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

.45ACP

Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:

Cor-Bon (DPX45185)

Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)

Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)

Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)

Link above covers all info below. If you haven't read it yet, you don't know what you're missing.

"BEST CHOICES FOR SELF DEFENSE AMMO

NOTE: If you have corrections, relevant links, pictures, or anything else that may be of interest in this article, please IM me so I can include the data. IF YOU THINK A TYPE OF AMMO NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED BECAUSE IT MEETS THE CRITERIA SET OUT, THEN PLEASE MAKE SURE THE DATA INCLUDES AT LEAST SHOTS INTO PROPERLY CALIBRATED BALLISTIC GELATIN AND ANOTHER SHOTS WHICH INCLUDES A 4-LAYER DENIM TEST. THE LATTER IS ESPECIALLY CRITICAL FOR HANDGUN HP AMMO TO DEMONSTRATE PROPER FUNCTIONING. NO EXPERIMENTS SHOOTING INTO DUXSEAL, WET NEWSPAPERS, ETC. WILL BE CONSIDERED. WATER SHOTS ARE ALSO EXCLUDED; WHILE THEY GIVE ADEQUATE REPRESENTATION OF THE FRAGMENTATION POTENTIAL, THE PENETRATION DEPTH IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GAUGE.

Background Discussion

Over-penetration inside the home

Pistol Bullets

Barrel length implications

9mm

.38spl

.357SIG

.40S&W

.44magnum

.45ACP

Discussion of manufacturers

Ammunition comparison tests by Doctor Roberts

Rifle bullets

6.8SPC

.30 carbine

7.62x39

Discussion of manufacturers

Shotgun Ammo"
    Last edited by xotech; July 14th, 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added "BEST CHOICES FOR SELF DEFENSE AMMO" table of contents

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    As a small business owner there's nothing as rewarding or as frustrating at times. Wish you nothing but success. Any plans on making your range open to public? I'm out your way several times a year and will stop by. Would be nice to be able to use the range.
    PM on the way shortly.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnXD View Post

I think I'll stop by sometime soon and check out your shop. Some range time will be refreshing.
    Also, I inquired a while back about shotguns on your range. Now that the range has been open for a while, have you decided to restrict them or the ammo being fired in the range? My zombie killer needs a workout with the 00 buck I keep it loaded with. Practice, practice, practice... but I'd hate to have to leave it in the car if it won't be allowed.
    Guy posted some good info above...

Here is another bit of (entertaining but educational) info...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

A longtime and very well-respected member of www.ar15.com "Old Painless" has been doing "real-world" and practical testing of various loads of ammo for the last several years. I seem to recall seeing him test .45acp at one time or another.

I tend to like the more rounded .45acp hollowpoints, for no reason other than feeding reliability. The more it resembles FMJ/ball ammo, the more reliable it's 'gonna be. The Remington Golden Sabers and even just the green/yellow boxes of Remington JHP's will generally feed pretty well due to the rounded HP design. Ballistic testing may not prove them perfect... but a round that works perfectly in ballistic gel, may not feed worth a crap if the bullet shape is too squared-off.

As far as shotguns are concerned... limited and occasional testing for function and loads is fine with me, but I can't have 6 lanes of 870's blasting away. The trolleys are pulled on para cord. The wide pattern of a scattergun brings with it the risk of cutting that cord and creating alot of extra work.
    In addition, the shot pattern risks hitting the walls and extended divider in the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th lanes, so they would probably be limited to lanes 2 and 5 only.

We are always trying to accomodate people, so all you need to do is ask and we'll try our best to work with you. We may need to build some stationary target stands for needs like this, just to keep the shot in a more controlled/focused area.

(Berks County)

Art,
    How much to transfer a gun from one of the online stores such as GunBroker.com?
    What info do you need?

I have a wish list of guns, can you provide a quote?
    1. Springfield Micro Comp 45 with tactical rail and free light
    2. Sig Elite Dark with Threaded Barrel in 9mm & 45acp
    3. Sig 556 Swat
    Thanks,

(Berks County)

magnum,
    give us a call at the shop tomorrow and we can discuss further!
    610-779-8700

(Berks County)

Stopped by on my way to work up in Reading and finally joined up for the range. Art and his brother have really cleaned up the shop.... I hadn't broughtany of my guns with me so I had no time to shoot. Their collections of guns is small, but they have some interesting pieces. They're nice guys and I suspect they will do well.

Art also has a nice 1973(?) Camaro... bonus points for liking ol' Detroit Iron.... and for having 357 SIG ammo in stock.

-Tom
    "For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

(Berks County)

PM sent AR info

(Berks County)

Stopped in today with Jay (Pagoda240) so that I could sign up and get some practice in with my new Sig. Must say that the facility is leaps and bounds better than before. Nice and open when you come inside, well lit in the range now, smiling faces behind the counter, and friendly attitudes all around. Got to sit and chat with Art for awhile while transferring a gun as well. All in all a great experience. I wish you all the best of luck and will definitely be coming back on a more frequent basis.

Thank you,
    Jay

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast