Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Another cop shoots himself in hand...Scranton

Hey, maybe the bag of french fries was attacking him. After all, all that saturated fat can KILL you!

Anyone up for a petition for more mandatory firearms training for LEO's? After fixing all the light bulbs they shoot out on my range, I sure as hell am.

Yet an other one, http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_11679598
    Posted: 02/11/2009 12:54:52 PM EST
    WILLIAMSPORT, Pa.—Officials say a veteran police officer was wounded when his gun accidentally went off while he was cleaning it at police headquarters in the basement of Williamsport City Hall.

Police Capt. Raymond Kontz says the officer suffered a gunshot wound to his left hand about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday. He was taken by colleagues to Williamsport Hospital where he underwent surgery on Tuesday night. Kontz says the wound was not life threatening.
    The weapon went off in a room that police use to clean their guns. Kontz says the public does not have access to the room and no one else was injured.
    The wounded officer's name has not been released. An investigation is under way.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Me thinks the officer needs some remedial training!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, what typically is involved in requalifying and what happens if an officer fails to requalify? Is some type of remedial training mandated to make the officer more proficient or do they just run the same COF till they achieve the minimal score?

I'm sure I've read different departments do so either yearly or a couple times a year.

As was pointed out in many threads, all of our professions have varying degrees of skill.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    I'm over the clip/magazine debate, but catch the round?! Let the round drop to the floor for god sake! You should not be juggling the gun, MAGAZINE and a round at all.

WTF was this cop thinking? He needs to get over himself, tell the guy to go to a gun store if he wants to check out a gun. No need to be showing off his.
    The Cop did catch the round.

and maybe it wasn't an AD or a ND maybe his trouble was with having a PD

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Dumb. If you're going to show off your gun, fine...clear it first. Only takes a second, and the risk of the person looking at it accidentally killing you with it decreases DRAMATICALLY.
    camper
    NO NO NO NO!

The point is that you DON'T show off your gun in most situations.

Terrain dictates.

Now this story evolved to add that the LEO was in the back room of the store. If there were no other on-lookers......MAYBE that'd be OK.

But your post could easily be perceived that "Hey man.....sure I'll take 'er out of the holster and show ya. Lemme clear it first. And golly, this place sure is packed with people today!"

I've actually told close friends "Maybe another time. Not now. Not here." when they asked "Neat! Can I see that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Maybe this is the "shitstorm" Spotter was warning us about?!?
    Yeah, eh???
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Wayne County)

This guy was clearly an idiot. Ya...I'm just going to show my gun to anyone that asks. Especially in a supermarket.

I'm sure if we did a "random survey" of canvassing local Police hangouts, that we'd determine that most, if not all police will probably be offended if someone asks to see their gun. I doubt it will be a positive encounter. "Hey...can I see your gun?" Same goes for getting pulled over in a car. All PSP carry a Glock 37. Next time you get pulled over, ask to see their firearm..just tell them it's an experiment..
    Last edited by SFMarine; February 15th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Lackawanna County)

Oh yeah.....And like Jah said.....that place may get posted now!

But it doesn't matter (for that Brunetti's at least).
    I was there ONCE and will never go back - I'd rather try and park in the Wal-Mart parking lot on the payday before the 4th of July weekend than try to park in the frickin' Brunetti's parking lot!

And also - heelllOOOOOoooo. Man.....the inside of that place hasn't seen a remodeling in DECADES. It is cramped, in disarray, and looks 'period correct' to right around 1972!

-
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusGuy View Post
    Of course, the best part here is that if any civilian happened to be stupid enough to do this same thing with the same results, I would bet that not only would they lose their LTCF but they would have some sort of charges filed on them.
    Yup! You can be certain if it was someone with a LTCF, that they would lose their license and be charged. The officer will just get a slap in a face because of his badge. Hell, he may even get a promotion because he was "injured in the line of duty."

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Steve, what typically is involved in requalifying and what happens if an officer fails to requalify? Is some type of remedial training mandated to make the officer more proficient or do they just run the same COF till they achieve the minimal score?

I'm sure I've read different departments do so either yearly or a couple times a year.

As was pointed out in many threads, all of our professions have varying degrees of skill.

27hand
    We had a couple reserves fail to re-qualify last year. They attended some remedial training and then passed the qualification. If someone can't pass the qualification they don't work.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    We had a couple reserves fail to re-qualify last year. They attended some remedial training and then passed the qualification. If someone can't pass the qualification they don't work.
    I still say skin caught in the zipper is harder to explain for a police then a gun shot in the hand...
    If this happened in Canada, You would probably see a news article about how there are always 2 police officers in the car because it takes a 12th grade to join the Police 2X6 grade = 12 grade, and seeing this is true, you can't possibly think giving them a glock (Plastic gun) will do anything other then having them play with it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast