Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Do you usually shoot alone or is it a social thing?

I like going alone for the most part. It's kin of like "my thing". I live with someone, I work with people. For once, I like to do something by myself. I find it relaxing and I don't have to worry about when I get there and how long I stay.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Montgomery County)

I rarely shoot alone. I mostly shoot with my wife or son and some time with friends.

I seem to shoot better in a group. I don’t get board as quickly and accomplish goals with less ammunition.
    If you are gong through Hell, keep going.--Winston Churchill

(Monroe County)

Depends...sometimes alone...or with a buddy...sometimes a group.

(Allegheny County)

"where and when are these matches? i live in nepa and don't know anyone or anywhere to go to these matches with. sounds like fun and educational at the same time. something i'd like to do. seasonal?"
    __________________________________________________ ___

Sublime1,

The IDPA match that we shoot at is located at the Lawrence County Sportsman Association in Wampum PA (Near New Castle, about 1 hour north of Pittsburgh.

The Defensive Pistol League that we used to run was at Anthony Arms Indoor Range, we stopped running the league about 1 year ago.

If you search the IDPA website under the club listings, http://www.idpa.com/clubs.asp
    you should be able to find an IDPA match near your location. I know that the eastern part of the state has more than a few clubs that host these matches.

Otto
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup 26 View Post
    I'm almost always alone. I had a family membership at the range for years, and enjoyed taking my sons, and my wife, the two times a year she said yes when asked. The boys are older now, and still shoot with thier buds. The older guy, now 23, took a liking to S&W M&P pistols, and recently got his first AR. So now he's taken me to the range for some SBR fun! I don't shoot with my friends because frankly, they don't know that I own, carry, or shoot firearms . I've always believed in keeping a low profile. An acquaintence recently got his LTCF. He announced to all present, at the bar, of his new "permit", what he could do that you can't, and "don't mess with me". I'm pretty sure he's kidding, but who knows? Now when the guys see him they pat him down and crap. Who needs that? I didn't tell him I was armed, or have been carrying for 25+ years. I suggested he get some training, and left it at that. He didn't know what I was talking about.
    I have the same philosophy. Everyone knows I hunt, but carry on a 24/7 basis? ...That's on a need to know basis and no one needs to know.
    Shoot with my boys and a few friends but we keep it strictly low profile.

i usually shoot with 2 other buddies. not much socializing tho. we spend a couple of hrs, put 200-300rd down range with our pistols and head home.

I either have my apprentice (he loves shooting and I don't have the heart not to invite him), or my daughter...and sometimes my wife. But sometimes I leave work early, run home and pack a few things and get over to the range. Usually there is no one there and I like the solitude. So I'd say 75% of the time I'm with someone but wish it was the other way around.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Delaware County)

I have been shooting alone for the last couple of trips, due to I can only go during the work week when I can, and the one club am a member is for members only and the other reason is when in the past I have went with others is just not the same fun becuase they don't like to shoot say rifle or shoot pistol or what ever it's just not the same so I just find it's better to go alone and enjoy peace and just have fun shootin what and when ever I like to.

(Huntingdon County)

I prefer shooting with friends or my dad, wife, etc. but usually I end up shooting alone.
    It used to bother me, I felt like I was rushing my shots and all that - but the more I do it, the better I feel about it and relax and enjoy my time at the range.

BTW, I have tried being nice to other folks at the range that I meet there, and my average is about 60-40. 60% are very nice in return, we talk guns, trade guns back and forth to try, etc.
    40% are total dicks. It is either a pissing contest "i betcha my gun can shoot over those mountains, through 3 blocks of ballistics gel, and then have enough POWA to knock down 2 elk standing side by side - all with less than an inch of bullet drop". Or else they are just unpleasant, unfriendly or rude/elitist.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog02 View Post
    I prefer shooting with friends or my dad, wife, etc. but usually I end up shooting alone.
    It used to bother me, I felt like I was rushing my shots and all that - but the more I do it, the better I feel about it and relax and enjoy my time at the range.

BTW, I have tried being nice to other folks at the range that I meet there, and my average is about 60-40. 60% are very nice in return, we talk guns, trade guns back and forth to try, etc.
    40% are total dicks. It is either a pissing contest "i betcha my gun can shoot over those mountains, through 3 blocks of ballistics gel, and then have enough POWA to knock down 2 elk standing side by side - all with less than an inch of bullet drop". Or else they are just unpleasant, unfriendly or rude/elitist.
    Sorry to hear about your 40%. Where I shoot the number of "friendlies" exceeds 98%. There were a father/son there one time and the kid would leave the bolt on his rifle closed and pointed down range when people went to check targets. One time an "older" gentleman made disparaging remarks about my Ak being a "killing machine". But all other experiences have been great. Many have offered to let me try their guns, etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast