Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Almost kicked out of KFC!

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    IMO, I think that there are those of you that are simply pre-disposed to believe that OC = looking for trouble and will pick apart any report like this for the smallest little thing you perceive as "wrong" or negative. I see it often. This appears to me to be no exception.
    FWIW, my opinion on OC is, I don't have an opinion. Carry how you see fit.

It just seems in some of the posts from those OC'ing and having positive interaction with the police the OP will make it a point to post " I told the cop it was legal" or something of that ilk. If the officer didn't question, or state it was legal, why bring it up?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post
    ...why bring it up?
    I'll let the op answer that, if he chooses.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I'll let the op answer that, if he chooses.
    That's why I am asking.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to start a debate. I'm just curious. We're all fighting the same fight.

My question is this:

If the officer obviously knew the law, and after speaking with the manager he told you it was OK to stay, why did you feel the need to remind him you weren't doing anything illegal? It almost seems you were trying to elicit a negative reponse from him. It seems smug IMO. If he was telling you open carry was illegal, it would be one thing, but he wasn't.

I am going to put my flame suit on now.
    No need for a flame suit yet. Here is my answer to your question. There is no way using the written word to convey tone, inflection, facial expression, or any other other complex components in a face to face interaction. I was not "reminding" him of anything. I was asking for his knowledge base on the issue. I was also giving him the opening for the all too common, "I know it's legal, but I don't think it is a good idea" speech. We had also yet not gotten to the part where he only wanted verbal ID. For all I knew he was going to ask me for my driver's license, my LTCF, if I was a constable, etc. So the question was legitimate in its context. There was no challenge, only a request for information. It was not until the entire exchange was over that I was able to ascertain that the officer was completely versed on the law as it is written. Perhaps my chronology of events misled you to think otherwise.

If I was going to elicit a negative response from him, I could have gotten one very easily. I can provoke a saint if the need arises. I could have refused to ID myself, or been combative in my demeanor. I could have loudly proclaimed that I had the right to carry my gun and he couldn't do anything about it. But I didn't do any of those things. No, the entire exchange was very friendly on both sides. Please don't try to read something into it that was not there.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Pennsy Plinker
    The Plinker Residence
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Chief Michael P. Weiser
    37 Grim Rd.
    Breinigsville PA 18031

November 3, 2008

Dear Chief Weiser

Earlier on today, I was running some errands in the Trexlertown area, when I decided to stop for some lunch at the Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant on Rt. 222. As is my custom, I was openly carrying a Sig Sauer semi automatic pistol on my hip.

I entered the restaurant, ordered and received my food, and had just started eating when Officer Jeffrey Reitnauer entered the building and headed straight for me. He informed me that I would have to leave the store, as they did not want a man carrying a gun openly in it. I asked him what I could do about my food, and he replied that he would obtain a lid for me. That was fine with me. I recognize that PA state law requires that I observe the wishes of a property owner.

Officer Reitnauer went to the counter and conferred with a young man there for a couple of minutes. He then started back toward me without a lid. When he returned to my table, he apologized for interrupting my meal, and told me that the manager of the restaurant had no problems with my being there. I asked Officer Reitnauer if he knew that I was not doing anything illegal, to which he responded affirmatively. He went on to say that the manager was not the person who had called the police with a man with a gun report, but rather someone else who was not able to be identified at that point. He asked me to identify myself, which I did. We exchanged a few pleasantries, and he left. The manager of the restaurant also came over to speak to me and assured me that I was not doing anything that would give him cause to have me ejected.

I would like to commend Officer Reitnauer for his professional demeanor, as well as his current knowledge on firearms law and property rights law. During the entire exchange, he was courteous and professional. It is encouraging to see an officer with his level of training and courtesy. I have several friends and acquaintances who have not had the good fortune to encounter a police officer who is as well acquainted with the law as Officer Reitnauer. Some have been subjected to threats, intimidation, and screaming, all because they were carrying their firearm openly. One friend was even arrested and stuffed into the back of a cruiser for almost an hour. I live in the area served by the Berks Lehigh Regional police, and I was gratified and encouraged to see that the officer whom I encountered is so well versed in his duties.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and may all your encounters be as peaceful.

Sincerely,

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Awsome job sending the letter. Rep pionts were given.Glad everything went well and it was a great experience

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    "I am really sorry to have bothered you sir. I should have spoken with the manager first. He has no problem with you being here. Someone else must have called in a man with a gun report."

"Thank you officer. You do know I am not doing anything illegal, right?

"Oh yeah, I am well aware of that! Are you on your way to do some shooting?"
    FWIW, my opinion on OC is, I don't have an opinion. Carry how you see fit.

It just seems in some of the posts from those OC'ing and having positive interaction with the police the OP will make it a point to post " I told the cop it was legal" or something of that ilk. If the officer didn't question, or state it was legal, why bring it up?
    I hope my previous post was sufficient to answer your question. This part of the conversation seems to be the sticking point. Bringing the issue up is just like anything else in life. If all the information is not there, it is a good idea to clarify things to make sure everyone is on the same page, and understands what is happening. I think this is especially important when it comes to people with guns and the ability to arrest me. But even when I am talking to people who don't have guns or who can't arrest me, I will ask for clarification on something when I don't know if I have all the information I need or want. And if this isn't enough, please let me know, and I will attempt to clarify it for you.

(Luzerne County)

That's why I am asking.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to start a debate. I'm just curious. We're all fighting the same fight.
    Good to hear. A such perhaps it may have (IMO) been better to just ask, without the accusaion of being smug and soliciting a negative reaction.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    KFC? You post that as if it's a bad thing.

Probably would have done you a favor if they did show you the door.

KFC is to chicken as MTV is to music.

Noah
    I will not disagree with you, but my belly button was touching my backbone, and it was either that or McDonald's! Look at the bright side. I did not post that I asked the cop how I could get out of this chicken outfit?

(Somerset County)

sounds like a well handled situation on everyones part
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Bucks County)

Your answer is sufficient, thanks for taking the time.

As stated above I am not looking to debate open vs. concealed. To each his/her own. We are all in this together.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast