Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dove Hunting?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dove Hunting?

Went out yesterday for about two hours and saw about 20, got just one. I sure miss the glory days, when there was 2 week or so of nonstop shooting.
    My priority is to defend my life, not just stay alive. - Sshuck

(York County)

I saw lots of doves tonight... Many too high to shoot at, many too far to one side or the other, & while talking to another hunter I passed up a great double opportunity and instead only pointed & told his two sons to take the shot (they unloaded both of their guns & missed LOL)

My very first shot of the day knocked some feathers off one but it kept flying strong & acted like it wasn't even scratched.

After that I had 4 solid shots that dropped birds & I recovered all 4! That beats my previous record of three in one outing.
    Still averaging a half box of ammo per bird downed though. I passed up a bunch of shots because birds were over briar hedgerows or really tall grass, & then as time went on when I would have good shot opportunities, I found myself rushing shots & missing.
    I've got the hold off on a bad drop position bird thing down, Just have to keep myself from rushing shots on good drop position birds & I'll be unstoppable LOL.

Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

I bagged four on opening day and haven't been able to get out since. I'll be out this Friday morning though.

The wife finally cut her teeth on something besides big game hunting. She loved it! She did well for her first time and now, she's hinting at a Benelli M-2 in 20 gauge! LOL

CL

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    I bagged four on opening day and haven't been able to get out since. I'll be out this Friday morning though.

The wife finally cut her teeth on something besides big game hunting. She loved it! She did well for her first time and now, she's hinting at a Benelli M-2 in 20 gauge! LOL

CL
    Doves can not be hunted until after noon for the 9/2-9/28 season and only until sunset, not a half hour past sunset like usual

(Monroe County)

Stonewall, thats for PA my friend. Hes in AZ according to his location.

AZ law is -

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/amobile-dove.shtml

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    I got out in the field yesterday at 12:30 and hunted until 7:15 I hit eight but only found seven, I really hate loosing birds
    Its bad taste to ask WHERE you were. But theres nothing wrong with WISHING I knew where you were for those 7 or 8 birds lol. Nice take Stonewall, congrats.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Stonewall, thats for PA my friend. Hes in AZ according to his location.

AZ law is -

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/amobile-dove.shtml
    Sorry about that. I just assumed he was in Pa and did not want him to get fine, I have never seen a game warden give a warning

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Its bad taste to ask WHERE you were. But theres nothing wrong with WISHING I knew where you were for those 7 or 8 birds lol. Nice take Stonewall, congrats.
    The company my friend works for owns some land ad they let employees hut the property and each employee can have one guest hunt there as well, whoever the guest for the year is just has to sign papers saying they will not sue and give their hunting license number.

I think we each would have gotten our limit but I was having a very difficult time when we first started, I missed a ton of easy shots but after I calmed down the birds started falling.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    Sorry about that. I just assumed he was in Pa and did not want him to get fine, I have never seen a game warden give a warning
    2011 2012 Annual report.

Game Commission officers encountered 20,144 violations during this fiscal year through high visibility patrol, selective enforcement operations, overt and covert investigations, surveillance operations and complaint response. The enforcement action taken by officers encountering those violations resulted in 13,607 warnings and 6,537 citations being issued. It should be noted that the officers issued more warnings than citations, a rate of almost two to one, indicating officer discretion in a balanced enforcement effort to focus efforts on the violations with the most impact to the wildlife resource. Of the violations cited, the conviction rate was 96 percent and attests not only to the discretion, but also the technical competence and professionalism of Game Commission officers.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    2011 2012 Annual report.

Game Commission officers encountered 20,144 violations during this fiscal year through high visibility patrol, selective enforcement operations, overt and covert investigations, surveillance operations and complaint response. The enforcement action taken by officers encountering those violations resulted in 13,607 warnings and 6,537 citations being issued. It should be noted that the officers issued more warnings than citations, a rate of almost two to one, indicating officer discretion in a balanced enforcement effort to focus efforts on the violations with the most impact to the wildlife resource. Of the violations cited, the conviction rate was 96 percent and attests not only to the discretion, but also the technical competence and professionalism of Game Commission officers.
    I personally do not know anyone that has ever received a warning from a game warden, I can see from those numbers that they give a lot of warnings but it does not seem that way in this area. I guess I am lucky to be one of only four percent of the people that was found not guilty in a court, but the judge seemed upset right away by the fact that he issued a seventeen year old a 137.50 parking ticket

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast