Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Monroe County Sheriff Needs to Go

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Um....if the sheriff were to send you an envelop with a stamp on it, where do you suppose he is going to get the money to pay for that?

Why yes, the taxpayers!

I'd rather it come from the particular taxpayer who is seeking a government service, rather than the taxpayers at large.
    A license to carry firearms is not a service. It is a burden imposed upon individuals seeking to exercise a fundamental civil right.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

I know one sheriff who could send stamped envelopes with the money he saves by ignoring the 60-day notice responsibility.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Um....if the sheriff were to send you an envelop with a stamp on it, where do you suppose he is going to get the money to pay for that?

Why yes, the taxpayers!

I'd rather it come from the particular taxpayer who is seeking a government service, rather than the taxpayers at large.
    In this particular situation the cost is not being saddled by the general public OR the individual getting the benefit (the licensee); the cost is being incurred by an individual providing a voluntary public service (the reference provider). To make matters worst, the cost are being used to fund an illegal scheme. So how do you feel about that?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunKelly View Post
    In this particular situation the cost is not being saddled by the general public OR the individual getting the benefit (the licensee); the cost is being incurred by an individual providing a voluntary public service (the reference provider).
    If the person providing the reference doesn't demand reimbursement from the one for whom the reference is provided, then they are making a voluntary contribution to the government. I don't see an issue here.

To make matters worst, the cost are being used to fund an illegal scheme. So how do you feel about that?
    I would rather the govt fund its illegal schemes with voluntary contributions than forcefully extracted taxes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunKelly View Post
    The community already incurs the cost. They pay for the salaries; and would pay for the cost of postage if the sheriff would bother to include a postage-paid return envelope. So tell me why a private individual performing a voluntary public service should incur the cost. This is not about the community incurring costs, it is about private individuals incurring costs.

Furthermore, since the sheriff's actions are clearly illegal, why should anyone, let alone a private individual, incur those costs?
    They're welcome to refuse the reference, and incur no cost at all.

In any case, it is kind of a douche move to ask someone to provide a reference for you and then not cover whatever costs they may incur by doing so.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Who is applying for an LTCF? If it's you, then filling in names and addresses on the LTCF application was all that was required. Anything additional would be in violation of the law.

If it's not you, but someone else, then the sheriff is violating the law by divulging to a third part that someone is applying for an LTCF.

It is a big problem, and not for the reason you cited.
    Reference have been required in Sullivan County also. But we have a new Sheriff so we shall see next time around....

im going to assume we're all in agreement about monroe county sheriffs office being wrong with the illegal two pages of conditions and rules. since we're nitpicking stamps.

they could postage paid which in bulk might be cheaper than buying individual stamps, they could just phone references like some counties. they could skip references like some counties.
    or the idiots who voted in favor of this entire process can foot the $1 per applicant and since it would be taxed equally, i guess im paying part of those stamps too. still cheaper than 177mill school taxes (theft by administrative staff)
    how many applicants per year per county? you don't think the sheriffs office embezzles or wastes more than the cost of stamps?

we can then also argue references, the psp form has them, should we focus on getting sheriffs to abide by the psp form first? the psp form is two sided and all legal instructions and requirements are on those two sides.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Bucks County)

A 2nd amendment right (and Commonwealth right) to bear arms being subverted to the inconvenience, fees and approval processes called a license is a government service? If anything, it is the taxpayer who benefits from such service by the weeding out of those not deserving of their 2nd amendment-guaranteed rights; so if it is a legitimate need, then the taxpayer contributing is fair.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234