Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Favorite Rifle Caliber and Why?

My favorite is the 300 win mag also. Great round. My AI is in 300 and with the muzzle break very nice recoil. Power, range, case length, willing to reach out far- I think I am getting excited, need to stop now...

Second favorite, believe it or not is the venerable 303 brit. I love the slow rolling recoil and the smell from those now scarce surplus WWII cordite rounds. The round is rather wimpy, but it feels so right somehow with the nice rim, mid length, shallow sloping shoulder, light weight fmj bullet, and history - not to mention an insane desire to call out 'for King and country!"every time I pull the trigger. Ever try to hold four rounds of 303 between your fingers? that rim is great and makes for a perfect grasp!...hehe

Finally, my 308 is a work horse and served me well in the service rifle and high power matches. Nice technology, compact, good hunting round...accurate, so freaking cliche!

worst rounds:
    7.62x39: BORING
    5.56: get original
    7.65 argentine: at least not a 7.5 carcano
    5.7 whateveryoucallitPS-90getalifeandstopwatchingstargateSG-1: need I say more?

Hmm, runners up to greatness:
    17HMR
    anything weatherby (disqualified due to cost)
    anything nitro express: see my comments on the 303
    Accuracy International AWM .300 WM (S&B 3-12x Mil), Remington 700DS Tactical (S&B 3-12x Bryant), Marlin 1895 GG (Kahles 1-4x), M1A Match, XM15E2S, SKB 12gau, Enfield no4 Irish Contract (1954), Springfield XD Sub Compact .40, Kimber Raptor II, Colt Series 70 NM, Springfield Long Slide .45, S&W Mod 10, Ruger Mk II Target, Browning Buckmark Varmint (Leup 2x), Beretta 96FSC, Walther P99, and many more...

(Westmoreland County)

My favorite would definately have to be a 300 winchester short mag! I love all the power you need really for anything in the U.S. Has a little bit of a kick if you dont have a fat barrel or stock but it shoots really nice out of my winchester model 70 coyote. I could shoot it all day!!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

Up to 2500M out, if it absolutely, positively has to have a hole in it, or possibly be on FIRE, make no substitute.

BTW guys, if anybody wants to go shooting in the gilbertsville/pottstown area, and has a place to shoot a 50, or automatic weapons gimme a yell and I'll drag the beast out:-)
    PA is supposed to have 1 of the very few public long ranges for the .50. Not shore where it is though have to research that. It might be down near the waynesboro area , again not shore.

(Allegheny County)

.308 FTW. Probably the most versatile round!

(Blair County)

"You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54r."

Its cheap, makes one heck of a boom, thumps my shoulder pretty good, blows things up down range.

with the .22lr coming in a close second
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Schuylkill County)

deer and anything else i will hunt my 338-378 weatherby will do,
    for a shtf my Ar in 223 and the AK
    i just love my 220swift
    and a 243 for when i dont need the 338-378weatherby.

(Jefferson County)

For me it is the .308.. Accurate, easy to find, recoil is managable, good to 1000 yds, and when (not if) society decides to implode....Our military is still using it. For my other cartridge it is the .300 Weatherby. I just plain love the cartridge and the Mark 5. I believe that you could take anything in North/South America with it. Accurate, hard hitter. Seems to be more common these days. You can usually find ammo for it. With a muzzle brake kicks like a .243..... I use 165 gr Sierra's. Cuts cloverleafs at 100 yds
    Man will not be truly free until the last politician is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

I really like the 6.5 caliber...my second or third rifle will proabley be 6.5x55 and I'd really like to eventually own a 6.5x284. I like the ballistics of the 6.5 round...pretty good BC. I just think its a cute lil round

(Allegheny County)

Marlin 30-30 its what I have used since I was 12, my dad gave it to me for Christmas, never used anything else for deer season. I guess I have centimental reasons for liking it so much. But its never done me wrong.

(Allegheny County)

For SHTF I have to say .22LR

It's cheap and light and it works in quite a few different firearms. For longer shots and more stoping power I have to say 7.62x54r from a Mosin. Grab those surplus guns while you can. you will want reliable, strong, and effective guns later on.

..... you know, for the revolution

(way off topic)

Every time I look at my ammo can full of mosin ammo I am reminded of the scene from "hot shots" where he throws a handful of ammo at the bad guys and they all fall down dead. I don't know why it cracks me up so much

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast