Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Maybe Moving To New Jersey

Not shootin BB's either! What's up dude? Sorry I was in pgh the last few days attending a wedding.
    "May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woooman" Neil, The Young Ones

If 6 outta 10 women are battered.....How come I'm eatin mine plain?

(Clinton County)

I lived in NJ till I was 51, I would never move back if I could help it. Possesson of one bullet designed or intended to expand on impact is a 4th degree crime EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN WITH YOU, max penalty is 18 months in state prison. You need a NJ firearms purchesers ID card to buy long guns and must transport them in a closed and fastened container in the luggage compartment of your car and go in the MOST DIRECT rute from place of purchase to home, same travel restrictions to go shooting or hunting. To buy a handgun you need a seperate pistol purchase permit for every one, that usualy takes 2 to 6 months to get depending on local police attitude toward issuing them. to look up NJ gun laws just type 'title 2c chapter 39' into any search engine.It will disuade you from using guns in NJ, unless you want to risk a felony conviction.
    About 12 years ago I knew a guy who was sighting in a slug gun at a grevel pit in Little Egg Harbor Twp, 2 cops were watching, cause it was the day before deer season, a third came up and arrested him cause he didn't have his hunting license, he pled guilty and only got a fine and probation but it still counts as a felony conviction, no more guns or hunting for him! Remember check out { Title 2c Chapter 39 ]
    Last edited by Montell C. Williams; July 3rd, 2007 at 10:20 AM.

(York County)

some info and forms from the NJ state police site (includin' the paperwork for the bb pistols ):

http://www.njsp.org/faq.html#firearms

(York County)

a few more "unofficial" sites that i have buried in my bookmarks:

http://www.njguns.com/permit.htm

http://64.23.13.102/nj/weaponlaws/

and the NRA PDFs:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=MN

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    I lived in NJ till I was 51, I would never move back if I could help it. Possesson of one bullet designed or intended to expand on impact is a 4th degree crime EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN WITH YOU, max penalty is 18 months in state prison. You need a NJ firearms purchesers ID card to buy long guns and must transport them in a closed and fastened container in the luggage compartment of your car and go in the MOST DIRECT rute from place of purchase to home, same travel restrictions to go shooting or hunting. To buy a handgun you need a seperate pistol purchase permit for every one, that usualy takes 2 to 6 months to get depending on local police attitude toward issuing them. to look up NJ gun laws just type 'title 2c chapter 39' into any search engine.It will disuade you from using guns in NJ, unless you want to risk a felony conviction.
    About 12 years ago I knew a guy who was sighting in a slug gun at a grevel pit in Little Egg Harbor Twp, 2 cops were watching, cause it was the day before deer season, a third came up and arrested him cause he didn't have his hunting license, he pled guilty and only got a fine and probation but it still counts as a felony conviction, no more guns or hunting for him! Remember check out { Title 2c Chapter 39 ]

Heck, reading this makes me want to go out and buy more guns, you know the ones that have bayonet lugs and folding stocks and high capacity mags, he he heh....

But I think most of Jersey folks are to blame for their own demises.....last time I checked, they voted in the same people who infringe on their rights time after time.

Thanks for sharing this.

1FingrCHan

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Maybe Moving To New Jersey { 1Fingr }

When I retired from Camden, nj Police I moved to Grundy County,TN for 9 years but my wife wanted to be closer to grand kids so we moved to PA, now it's only 5 hours drive to NJ instead of 14, other wise I would have never left TN.

(Centre County)

Will,

You don't say exactly where you live or what your educational background was, but that doesn't really matter. You're in an area that is fairly close to a lot of potential jobs other than flippin burgers. Go back to school. Work on a degree or certificate in something that interests you. If your parents can't help with the money that makes it easier to get grants and low cost loans. Join or hang around an active sportsmans club, you might hear of a job opening or opportunity (network with people).

Also something to think about (and no, I'm not a military recruiter, although I did spend 26 years in the USAF, 4 years of that in NJ, I'll get to that later) - join the military, National Guard or Reserves. Good training, opportunity to get college education at a cheap price, good paychecks for a single guy, a chance to see the world (not necessarily Iraq or Afganistan) if active duty or good training and one weekend a month (extra money in your pocket) and some other time during the year for Guard or Reserves.

Things will work out, you're young.

Since you already said that the NJ thing fell through, that may be a blessing in disguise. I lived in NJ for 4 years while stationed at McGuire AFB (Ft Dix). I couldn't wait to get out of there. My car insurance went up 4X from the rates in DE. I was lucky, I lived in military housing so I could relatively easily keep my firearms with me. Friends that bought houses were paying exorbitant property taxes and home owners (and renters) insurance was sky high also. I have friends that lived in Jersey ONLY because that is where they had a very good paying job. As soon as they retired they left and moved to PA. They told me that if they had to do it again they would rather live in PA and earn less money. The politics are horrendous and the people can't overcome the political machines that run the state.

I occasionally have to go the Jersey City for business. Jersey City is NOT the garden spot of the Garden State. I get in and get out as quickly as I can.

Reread all of the posts, I think that the underlying point is that you are in charge of your destiny, you are young, think things through, come up with a plan but be flexible, things can change and a door might open that you didn't think about.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Since you already said that the NJ thing fell through, that may be a blessing in disguise....I couldn't wait to get out of there. My car insurance went up 4X from the rates in DE....Friends that bought houses were paying exorbitant property taxes and home owners (and renters) insurance was sky high also. I have friends that lived in Jersey ONLY because that is where they had a very good paying job....They told me that if they had to do it again they would rather live in PA and earn less money. The politics are horrendous and the people can't overcome the political machines that run the state.
    all so true...
    my house finally went on the market last week; if it works out i'll be living somewhere on the west shore in the autumn...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234