Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Bag

(Chester County)

Default Re: SHTF Bag

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info. I think instead of spending all that money on a complete pre fab, I'll probably just get a couple backpacks and start my own, make it a project. I know its usefulness is the packs main purpose , but i can see it being really fun putting it together. Thanks!

I added up the price of the items in the prepacked kit from campingsurvival.com that had a lot stuff I wanted, and it was a lot LESS buying them individually than paying for the kit and getting stuff I didn't want. Again, I only included what I wanted, which wasn't everything in the pack.

I ordered a lot of stuff from them, and the delivery was fast, and the only problem I had was handled accurately and promptly.
    Last edited by str8shooter; January 16th, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: shouldn't post late at night.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    I agree with chrisaka. What good will you be to your family if you get shot whilst "borrowing" supplies? How safe will they be if you don't make it back? Are they well provisioned enough to hold out? Trained with firearms/defensive tactics? My wife is military trained, a crack shot & I have no doubt in my mind that she would be fine if anything happened to me. I don't, however, feel like she should have to consider that scenario except under the most extreme conditions i.e. Getting shot defending my home. Not ok but better than getting shot over entenmann's, diapers and chunky soup at Giant or Kmart.

Apparently you've never had the rasberry struedel Entanmann's cake, that shit is delicious!!! I do see what you guys are saying, though. Better to be able to hold up and/or bug out as quickly and safely as possible. Your also right about staying with my family. My kids are very young and my wife is not trained in any way, their survival would be pretty dependant upon me. Well, I'm convinced, glad I asked!!!
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    So am I going to be part of the problem if I'm ust planning on "commandeering" what my family and I need in an emergency?? Let me explain; I live about 10 miles from center city philly in a very populated upper-middle class suburb. I work 5 miles from home, my wife is a stay at home mom who picks up the very occasional nursing shift at a hospital about 5 miles away. Both our family live very close. Aside from vacation, we rarely go very far from home. We have K-Mart, Acme, hardware, etc. all within walking distance (btw, I realize if shtf stores won't be open, but I could be there and back with a truck full of "borrowed" supplies in literally minutes). Aside from very basic "car kits" and my HD weapons and ammo, do I need much else?
    So, think of this. The SHTF.

You are:
    A) Going to leave your family behind and rush downtown to try and get some supplies. Hoping they will be OK while your gone. Remember. Everyone else in town is thinking the same way you are. Some will head for stores. Others will plan on taking what they can from homes near by.
    1) Is your family truly prepared at this moment to defend themselves (do you want to really leave them alone at this time). Has the shock set in yet about what is happening? Will you wife dust someone (be it looter or Zombie) if she has too? Remember, most family members think we are crazy right now. But when the SHTF, we will have been at least mentally prepared thanks to this site. What happens to them, if you don't return. There are going to be others out there like you. Well armed, but they just didn't truly prepare. Now you may end up fighting them for what is left.

B) Take your family with you, since you want to make sure they are OK. Hence endangering them among the masses.
    1) You now have your family with you trying to sneak around without being seen. Can your family do this well? Will your family help or hinder you as you wander thru the streets during the madness. Do you want them to be involved in the madness that will be going on in the city while you try to find supplies? Sure would have been easier to have been prepared a head of time.

C)Your risking the fact that everyone else hasn't already beaten you to the punch, and there is no food/supplies left. Now you have to search longer and further away from home. Maybe further into the city. Which is the wrong way to be going.
    1)Also, the bigger a crowd of people there is (Hospitals, Food Marts), this is places that will draw Zombies Attention. It will be noisy and sound like a dinner bell to them.

D) In this choice, you have prepared yourself ahead of time. You load up your family and everyones B.O.B.'s that have been sitting in the closet for a while all ready to go. You grab the couple cases of MRE's or Freeze Dried Food (which is what your B.O.B.'s are sitting on) and load them up. Right next to this other gear sits your ammo for your weapons and the gear you will need. Vest, Magazines, Holsters, Rifles and Pistols. All of this is loaded up in your vehicle, and your on your way out of town in about 20 minutes max. You are moving out of the cities before things get so bad that the roads would be blocked with everyone else trying to get out (Imagine rush hour traffic times 10).

You decide now. Cause once it hits. It is too late then.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    I'm just wondering what my fellow PAFOA members carry with them daily in case of a SHTF scenario, Zombie apocalypse, Act of Domestic terrorism, invasion by Koala bears, etc.
    Here is what I did. I got a comfortable pack. Then I tried to decide what I would need for ONE DAY OF TRAVEL. That is all I should need to get me home to where the rest of my stuff is. Travel light. Travel Fast. Just take what I absolutely would need to get me home. Get home to the family. Or at least get home to gear up to go get them where ever they are.

First Aid Kit
    Pistol w/extra ammo
    Rain Gear
    Extra Socks
    Gloves
    Energy Bars
    Water
    Knife
    Flashlight
    Duct Tape
    Heavy Cord
    GPS (in the car always charged)
    Space Blanket

EDIT: Fire starting gear and Toilet Paper.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; January 16th, 2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Add stuff

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    So, think of this. The SHTF.

You are:
    A) Going to leave your family behind and rush downtown to try and get some supplies. Hoping they will be OK while your gone. Remember. Everyone else in town is thinking the same way you are. Some will head for stores. Others will plan on taking what they can from homes near by.
    1) Is your family truly prepared at this moment to defend themselves (do you want to really leave them alone at this time). Has the shock set in yet about what is happening? Will you wife dust someone (be it looter or Zombie) if she has too? Remember, most family members think we are crazy right now. But when the SHTF, we will have been at least mentally prepared thanks to this site. What happens to them, if you don't return. There are going to be others out there like you. Well armed, but they just didn't truly prepare. Now you may end up fighting them for what is left.

B) Take your family with you, since you want to make sure they are OK. Hence endangering them among the masses.
    1) You now have your family with you trying to sneak around without being seen. Can your family do this well? Will your family help or hinder you as you wander thru the streets during the madness. Do you want them to be involved in the madness that will be going on in the city while you try to find supplies? Sure would have been easier to have been prepared a head of time.

C)Your risking the fact that everyone else hasn't already beaten you to the punch, and there is no food/supplies left. Now you have to search longer and further away from home. Maybe further into the city. Which is the wrong way to be going.
    1)Also, the bigger a crowd of people there is (Hospitals, Food Marts), this is places that will draw Zombies Attention. It will be noisy and sound like a dinner bell to them.

D) In this choice, you have prepared yourself ahead of time. You load up your family and everyones B.O.B.'s that have been sitting in the closet for a while all ready to go. You grab the couple cases of MRE's or Freeze Dried Food (which is what your B.O.B.'s are sitting on) and load them up. Right next to this other gear sits your ammo for your weapons and the gear you will need. Vest, Magazines, Holsters, Rifles and Pistols. All of this is loaded up in your vehicle, and your on your way out of town in about 20 minutes max. You are moving out of the cities before things get so bad that the roads would be blocked with everyone else trying to get out (Imagine rush hour traffic times 10).

You decide now. Cause once it hits. It is too late then.

All so very true, its scaring me how much I hve to learn on this topic! I have been into shooting a firearms for awhile but am brand new to preparedness. Your right, I don't want to leave my family OR bring them with me, my kids are young and my wife is untrained and pretty passive. Its awesome to hear that you are dealing with people thinking your crazy too!! As I said when I rep'd you, I think it will all be worth in if the worst happens. I have a closet downstairs with all my camping stuff in it, so thats all in one place already. I'll probably get some MRE's and water and a first aid kit to throw in there too. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for ideas. If anyone puts anything in their bag that wouldn't normally be thought of let me know. Thanks!
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

My bag:

Stuff inside:

I have a wife and 3yr old son, so "bugging out" isn't really an option. This bag is to get me from work (or where ever I am) to home and then hunker down. It's only about ten miles, so camping overnight shouldn't be a concern, but there's stuff in there just in case that happens. It's also not complete, I have some stuff on order.

More info here:
    http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...4a051ec9476911
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8855&dateline=1222904  944
    Acacia Lodge #452 F&AM, Savannah, GA

Georgiacarry.org supporting member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Will you wife dust someone (be it looter or Zombie) if she has too?
    I've been trying to understand this latest craze here about zombies. Never been a huge fan of zombie movies myself. But I thought this was just a fantasy. But now it seems these zombies are actual roaming people as result of some apocalyptic TEOTWAWKI event. So is that the zombies everyone is talking about? Just trying to understand. Thx.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I've been trying to understand this latest craze here about zombies. Never been a huge fan of zombie movies myself. But I thought this was just a fantasy. But now it seems these zombies are actual roaming people as result of some apocalyptic TEOTWAWKI event. So is that the zombies everyone is talking about? Just trying to understand. Thx.
    The current lexicon seems to be Zombies = any threat. It's a generic term that seems to have replaced "goblin" that was used so often not too long ago.

Of course, people really could be preparing for actual zombies...

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    The current lexicon seems to be Zombies = any threat. It's a generic term that seems to have replaced "goblin" that was used so often not too long ago.

What nineseven said.

If you talk about shooting people during a SHTF situation. People will look at you like your crazy than a loon. But tell them your preparing to battle Zombies, and for some reason. That is OK.

ZOMBIE = Anything, or anyone that would give you a bad time. It don't even have to be a person. It could be Hurricane Katrina. A major Snow/Ice storm. Are you prepared for either if they would hit right now. Well, if you were prepared for a Zombie Invasion. The rest of this stuff will seem pretty easy to survive. Prepare for the absolute worst case senerio. "The Dead Walking the Earth." And the rest will be easier to survive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post

Real zombies...now I'm really scared.

Thanks for catching me up on the whole zombie thing.

You too Mtbkski, good explanation
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast