Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Tweeking an AK for performance?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    At this point you would be down to Harmonics rather than whip.

Harmonics may play a small role depending on how fast you reacquired the target, but it would have a negligible effect at most in this case. You are correct, Whip has the greatest affect when in full auto. People see the video and think that if the BBL is bouncing around to that extent that the AK is just crap altogether and dont take into account the fact that the bullet is out of the BBL before this is all going on.

Harmonics would affect accuracy +/- .5" at 100yrds, whip could be +/- 1' give or take.

I would really like to see a before/after comparison of the same AK with a stock and modified crown. Would this turn it into a tack driver? Doubt it. But you may go from 3" groups to 2" or less at 100yrds. I plan on giving my RPK a decent crown, but it will have to be done before I press it home in the reciever so I wont be able to compare.

What importance does a crown have when a brake has been installed? Or are you referring to non-brake rifles?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Bucks County)

Thats a good question.

From what I understand the Brake or flash hider shouldnt affect POI at all. The issue of the Crown begins just as the bullet leaves the BBL and continues as the gasses begin to pass the bullet while in flight. What you want to achieve is a perfectly round hole with an 11* taper adjacent to it that is squared with the bore. The round can then leave the rifling evenly all the way round and the gasses will have the optimum angle of escape to prevent them from buffeting the bullet in flight.

What the AK's mostly have is something akin to a sink drain type of profile to the crown some of which arent even on center. This was a OK design considering these were supposed to be used as a Machine gun in a battle environment. You could bash this Muzzle against the side of a tank or with a rock all day long and not affect the accuracy of the gun. The downside being that the bullet leaves the barrel on the rifling that Boris felt like applying that day and the funnel shape of the crown blasts the gasses directly into the rear of the bullet.

Throw things off to one side and the bullet will get more pressure on that side and be deflected twords the other.

My WASR is a good shooter, for the cheap POS people consider them. My take? I hit the 14"x18"steel plate at 200yrds 4 out of ten shots with fogged up glasses and no spotter to tell me where the bullets were tending. This with a gun I had sighted at 25yrds only days before.

This AK in the video? I dont know what the shooters problem is, but he dosent even look like he wants to be there and hes got a much bigger target than what we usually use.

Maybe hes blind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI...eature=related

(Bucks County)

Just watched the video again, the AK shooter is punching the shit out of the trigger, the shot at 3:37 shows this clearly.

(Bucks County)

I saw that. Maybe if he gave a shit he could produce a good group.

All I learned from that video is that I want an 200 yard indoor range. I am tired of the bias against rifles, I think most of us are pretty aware of the pros and cons for the two rifles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234