Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banned? Rifles

(Montgomery County)

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Banned? Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Exactly.

And unless some importer - like Century Arms, IO, RIAA - steps up and works with the mfg to craft an importable "sporty" version (such as the WASRs or Saiga) with no PGs, no hi-caps, no bayo or flashhider - then you will NEVER see foreign EBRs aside from "parts kts" less the barrels.
    Parts kits would require 922 compliance, right?

(Susquehanna County)

Is anyone fighting the 89 ban? I don't know much about it, going to read about it after this post, but does it expire?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Is anyone fighting the 89 ban? I don't know much about it, going to read about it after this post, but does it expire?
    No expiration to section 922 which drives the 89 ban. All a courtesy of Bush I and Drug Czar Bennet in reaction to the Stockten school shootings and too many episodes of Miami Vice re-runs.

Sure glad Bush was in the "2A friendly" political party... </sarcasm off>

And No, parts kits only have to meet parts-kits compliance; no serviceable recvr, and now - no more serviceable barrels. And of course if said parts kits were from full-auto, those selected parts would be equally unusable.

To build such a kit up into an otherwise non-importable semi-auto - such as those banned in 1989 - one has to follow 922 specs in terms of domestic parts content, so that it is not an entirely imported gun.

Thus the USA-parts count attention paid to Century's kit-Yugos, kit-Tantals, kit-Galils, kit-Sterlings, and any Joe Schmoe's kit builds.

Domesic guns were unaffected by the 89 ban.

This is why the concensus of conjecture is that if another ban occurs, it will be a further tightening of imported parts and hi-caps. Once again, due to USA employment, domestics will be as safe as they were under the 94 Clinton ban; available, and with certain exceptions - without flashiders, bayo lugs, new mfg hi-caps. A 1994 re-dux.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    No expiration to section 922 which drives the 89 ban. All a courtesy of Bush I and Drug Czar Bennet in reaction to the Stockten school shootings and too many episodes of Miami Vice re-runs.

Sure glad Bush was in the "2A friendly" political party... </sarcasm off>

And No, parts kits only have to meet parts-kits compliance; no serviceable recvr, and now - no more serviceable barrels. And of course if said parts kits were from full-auto, those selected parts would be equally unusable.

To build such a kit up into an otherwise non-importable semi-auto - such as those banned in 1989 - one has to follow 922 specs in terms of domestic parts content, so that it is not an entirely imported gun.

Thus the USA-parts count attention paid to Century's kit-Yugos, kit-Tantals, kit-Galils, kit-Sterlings, and any Joe Schmoe's kit builds.

Domesic guns were unaffected by the 89 ban.

This is why the concensus of conjecture is that if another ban occurs, it will be a further tightening of imported parts and hi-caps. Once again, due to USA employment, domestics will be as safe as they were under the 94 Clinton ban; available, and with certain exceptions - without flashiders, bayo lugs, new mfg hi-caps. A 1994 re-dux.
    I'm amazed by all of this. Seriously, why is there a need to ban imports. Norinco, OK, whatever. Couldn't H&K or IMI open a factory in the US and become domestic? I suppose it wouldn't really make sense for them unfortunately.

Really, I'm trying to figure out how to get an IWI Tavor into the country legally I may have to keep it at the inlaw's house in Canada...

Edit: If/when I buy it... along with all of the other goodies that you can get in Canada but not the US... Sure you have to jump through a few hoops and you're limited in mag sizes but it's better than nothing.

(Delaware County)

Couldn't H&K or IMI open a factory in the US and become domestic? I suppose it wouldn't really make sense for them unfortunately.
    Sure they could. I'm pretty sure that HK already makes guns here. Steyr, 10 years after the ban, finally started making AUGs here.

The running gag, is that HKs unofficial motto is "you suck, and we hate you." There's no telling how much money they've lost by not [openly] selling semi-auto versions of the MP5, UMP, HK416, and G36 to civilians in this country.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Sure they could. I'm pretty sure that HK already makes guns here. Steyr, 10 years after the ban, finally started making AUGs here.

The running gag, is that HKs unofficial motto is "you suck, and we hate you." There's no telling how much money they've lost by not [openly] selling semi-auto versions of the MP5, UMP, HK416, and G36 to civilians in this country.
    WHA?! I had no idea that Augs were here. I guess I didn't really think about them and whether or not we could buy them. HK not building a semi auto version of those rifles is a sin. I'd love one of each.

I'd really like a galil (century - I know) and a Tavor. The Tavor, however, won't be in this country till who knows when.

I just find it ironic that Canada can get some of these rifles and we can't.

Is the NRA or similar organization fighting against the 89 ban? We should be. I guess with the current gov't I don't see it happening.

(Blair County)

WHA?! I had no idea that Augs were here.
    Tsk tsk, shame on you... Because you'll enjoy where they are from

http://www.msarinc.com/stg556_sporting.html
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Philadelphia County)

Is the NRA or similar organization fighting against the 89 ban?

Domestic manufacturers are perfectly happy with the import ban and legislators from areas with firearms manufacturing would be reluctant to support a repeal.

The import ban originated in the 60's, supported by US Companies as a way of keeping cheap surplus for competing with domestic product. The 89' ban was really not a new law but a recommitment to the old one. The Clinton ban targeted run-arounds of the 89' ruling as well as domestic guns.

You want to see more cool stuff we can't get, check Marstar.ca

They no longer post prices for their NFA stuff but at last check, a full auto Mp5 was around $2000 - a hell of a lot less than the go for here. If I could get one of those $400 M14s I'd be a happy camper.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Tsk tsk, shame on you... Because you'll enjoy where they are from

http://www.msarinc.com/stg556_sporting.html
    Steyr is making U.S. legal AUGs, as of a few months ago. Those aren't Steyr rifles.

I guess it hasn't really made the news much because the STG556s kind of stole the market, and they're less expensive.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast