Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bucks County Fish and Game Association, Inc. OC Unfriendly!!!

Heaven forbid that people at a gun range would actually be - toting guns! It sounds like a collection of Fudds to me. I belong to two clubs, Topton, and Guthsville. There are some people at Topton that are adamantly against OC, but beyond their fulminations, there is nothing to prevent it. At Guthsville, nary a word has been said, and people have been very friendly, while I OC at the range and even at the meetings.

I was a member there for one year, but was turned off by the orientation meeting. Their expert got the law wrong, he used the old "concealed means concealed" line, and I figured this was not the place for me after all. So they got a year's membership fee from me, but I never fired a shot there.

Sounds like they're actually improving slightly, they now realize that open carry isn't actually illegal, but they just don't like it. I guess that's better, sorta. They still have the same prejudice, except that they know there's no justification for it now.

Odd that a gun club would try to avoid the reputation of being a bunch of gun-toters. Sort of like the Boy Scouts trying to shed the image of being a boy's club. Or the NAACP steering clear of racial issues.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

I received two more replies from BCFGA. The reply below came from an unnamed person using the membership@bcfg.org address:

"Steve, the reason we prohibit open carry is because it's not the image we want to project to Jr. Members."

I have a hard time believing this came from the club, yet it is the real deal. I see nothing wrong with gun owners having an image of a person open carrying as a responsible gun owner.

The email below is from Art at BCFGA, a follow up to my last email to him:

That been a rule for many a year and we are not about to change it. Unfortunately as time goes on and people are prone to making more mistakes over the years we have been forced to update our rules. Sorry that's the way it is.
    Art

This follows along the lines of "something happened years back and we reacted in a rash manner." This club is so far out of touch with reality it is hard to see where they are coming from. For some reason they believe there is a negative image associated with Open Carry and they do not want the next generation to be exposed to that. They also seem to believe that these rules in some way make the members and guests safer!?!

I see no logic or thought in their rules. This is an emotional, nonsensical and absurd approach to a non-existent problem. I do indeed understand they can make whatever rules they want. I also understand that I have every right to question them in a public forum, advise others against joining the club and generally hold the club leadership in contempt while I keep my membership dollars to myself.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

It's Central Bucks, soccer moms rule there. I live just a few miles away, belonged a long time ago, don't remember what it was like but I guess I won't be rejoining
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Cumberland County)

Oh no! We wouldn't want the Junior Members at the gun club to see guns! That could... be exactly what they expect?

Sounds like an image thing to me. I do not understand the mentality, not one bit. "We don't want to look like gun totters..." Huh?? Of course not, wouldn't wanna have gun totters at the gun club...

If you ever hit central PA Steve, I'll take you to my club, where the rules are simple: Don't shoot before or after hours, clean up after yourself, AND CLOSE THE DAMN GATE!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Even though I do not OC, this is a shitty policy, IMO.

Glad I chanced upon a membership to Souderton/Harleysville Game Fish & Forestry late in 2009.

I'm not sure what their stance on OC is as policy, as I don't OC (I know that most of the pistol committee guys seem anti-OC), but they also don't have any gay mag limits on the outdoor range, or rapid-fire restrictions, and nobody really gives you crap (maybe if you were acting like a retard someone would bitch you out)...

Oh well. Like stated, only way to change it is to become member with a vote...

Regards,

Bones

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Although I don't agree with it, it's their club their rules. Clearly the members don't have a problem or they would change the rules.
    There is a good chance the members have no idea that open carry is legal. They probably read over the rules, saw the prohibition of OC, and didn't think twice about it. I have a feeling if the majority is a bunch of fudds, or weekend/home defend hobbyists that again, they don't even know OC is legal. Further, there is probably a hanful of people there that might know, or possibly do OC on occasion outside of the facility that decided it's not worth bringing it up, but would support repealing the prohibition if someone was there to lead the cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    There is a good chance the members have no idea that open carry is legal. They probably read over the rules, saw the prohibition of OC, and didn't think twice about it. I have a feeling if the majority is a bunch of fudds, or weekend/home defend hobbyists that again, they don't even know OC is legal. Further, there is probably a hanful of people there that might know, or possibly do OC on occasion outside of the facility that decided it's not worth bringing it up, but would support repealing the prohibition if someone was there to lead the cause.
    Thread winner IMHO!

Join, become a member and cast a vote to change it!

Looks like I have to spread the love.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I have a response, and it is quite interesting. Here it is below:

If you carrying a concealed firearm that is OK as long as you keep it concealed. The problem may arise and I know what the law states, that people may feel they have the right and start cowboy or quick draw shooting. And we don't want to create an image that we are just a bunch of gun toting people. That's why we have this rule in place.
    Art

This response is from Club Management.
    I take it this means they don't have IPSC or IDPA competitions at the club? Are you not allowed to do any practice drawing from your holster?

Bunch of gun toting people? That one is a bit strange as you noted.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Bucks County)

It seems to me, and I've never been there, that this range is mostly a "stand in one position and shoot your gun" in a "classroom" type application. While I think folks who follow this thread or are on this forum are more active in their shooting lifestyle, the average joe with a gun may not be and this situation suits them just fine. It also looks like form the pictures that it's more a "sight your rifle in for hunting season" than tactical applications.

While I do not agree with the OC rule, if the majority of your members are these types of folks, I don't see the rule being that unpopular with the membership.

I used to shoot at ranges, both indoor and outdoor, from Classic Pistol and Targetworld to Targetmaster to game clubs, and honestly, I wasn't impressed with any of them.

Back to topic, I think threatening them with negative feedback on the internet may have been a little counterproductive to the cause. From the club's mgmt point of view, you are someone who is not a member threatening to bad mouth them over a rule that you don't like. In retrospect something along the lines of this may have gotten your point of view across as well as not seeming to be one of those rash OC gun toting people (in their minds).

"Dear Art, thanks for your clarification. While I'm sure your facility and intentions are good, I feel that this particular rule is something that I can't agree to and therefore will not pursue membership to your club. As someone who frequents internet forums where local ranges are discussed, I will pass along your rule and reasoning and let others judge whether they would like to pursue membership at your club."

I am always very careful how I word written correspondence. Like it or not and fair or not, many times, what we say in situations like this is deemed to represent the rest of us.

just my opinion.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast