Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: PAFOA license plates?

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Just so there's no confusion about what's being discussed here...these are official PA vehicle registration plates that replace the current plate on the rear of your car or truck. These are not the kind that just are for show and go on the front of the vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    A formidable task to be sure but I'm willing to work with another member or two local to me (Lower/Central Bucks/N.E. Philly) and get this done. As a fund raiser we could auction off the lower numbers.
    HG, I was referring to the PA license plates you mention, the "other thread" was about those as well.

Er, PennDot issues the plates, you get what you get, not a choice, each individual wanting one would go thru the process I mention a few posts ago.

Bill

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    This is a great idea if you ask me. What a great way to show our colors across the state. I would buy four of them myself.
    It would be a great idea, but not necessarily an easy task. Not to rain on the parade, but I think the last thread was killed, rather than died. Reading it, I think P89 had PM'd Dan to get his take on it. I don't recall much after that. I need my EMS plates so I can't get one of these, but you could get a dialogue going with the admins again and see where they stand on it now.

Also, maybe it wasn't clear in the previous thread, or some folks might be speaking in general terms, but you don't "get", or "buy" or "sign up for" a specialty plate. If the organization has them, you request them at your favorite tags place, get the application signed by an authorized person from the organization, and re-register your vehicle. The head of the organization can reserve certain numbers for officers or other members, but in general, the plates are numbered and distributed as the applications are received. In the last thread folks got excited and expressed an interest in getting certain numbers or personalized (vanity) plates. You might be able to bribe the admins for a certain number, but the state does not have personalized specialy plates. Current specialty tags are 5 digits, with no alpha characters.

When you renew your registration, you'll be stating that you are still a member and The DMV can audit the organization to ensure everyone with a plate is still a member in good standing. I don't know if they ever do, but that's the deal. This would require the PAFOA to keep a record of your vehicle, name, address, tele and SSN (just kidding about the SSN, seeing if you're paying attention.)

Since membership here requires no dues, has no means of validating personal information and doesn't keep tabs on who's a member other than posting stats, someone would have to take charge of setting up a system up front. If there is a serious interest in pursuing this or forming a committee to split up the tasks, then someone needs to take point on it, talk to the DMV to see exactly what it would take, and then go to the admins with answers, not questions. If they go for it, then come back and poll the membership with some details of what it would take to be eligible to get a plate. It's a long road, but it would be cool to see some of these on it.

ETA: OK, a lot of my drivel was posted between the time I started typing and posted it, but if nothing else, use it as a summary.
    Last edited by str8shooter; September 4th, 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: slow typer
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Erie County)

Just a thought(or 2):

Not easy to organize or get set up - YES

Only paid members at any level can purchase = more $$ PAFOA
    Joining at highest level could include a free plate = more $$ PAFOA

Lower number plates would go to first to order and that would be the organizers?

This can happen if the right people want it to happen, and make it happen.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalCarry View Post
    Just a thought(or 2):

Not easy to organize or get set up - YES

Only paid members at any level can purchase = more $$ PAFOA
    Joining at highest level could include a free plate = more $$ PAFOA

Lower number plates would go to first to order and that would be the organizers?

This can happen if the right people want it to happen, and make it happen.
    Note that over a year has passed since this idea was first floated, and "the right people" (Dan) has not expressed any interested in moving forward. That's probably a good indication of the chances this has of happening.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

Just thinking out loud...

Attached Images Attached Images
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgt7546 View Post
    PennDot requirements:

Specialty Plate Program

The Specialty Plate Program allows approved organizations to advocate their interests, charge a fee above the $20.00 PennDOT fee and provides for a distinctive license plate.

Specialty Plates are manufactured in our standard plate colors - blue, white, and yellow. The organization's name appears across the bottom of the plate and "Pennsylvania" is printed across the top of the plate. The 3" x 3" canvas area on the left side of the plate displays the organization's emblem or logo using graphic printing that offers color and intricacy of detail.

Specialty Plates are currently available for passenger cars, motor homes and trucks with a registered gross weight of 9,000 pounds or less. Specialty Plates are not available for motorcycles and trailers.

To qualify for the Specialty Plate Program, an organization must meet the following criteria:

Be a Non-profit organization;
    Have as one of its primary purposes, services to the community, which results in a contribution to the welfare of others;
    Be based, headquartered, have a chapter or licensed in Pennsylvania;
    Not be offensive in purpose, nature, activity or name, as determined by the Department;
    Guaranteed a minimum of applications (negotiable) before any plate will be produced.
    If your organization would like to be a part of the Specialty Plate program please contact Penni Bernard, Specialty Plate Program Coordinator by email at pbernard@state.pa.us for a complete program packet.
    My Bold:

I personally Like the idea. Not only a great idea to get our name out into the public eye more but also a way to raise funds.

NOW, not that I am a naysayer BUT do you think they (The Department) would qualify us under the following 2 criteria?
    -Have as one of its primary purposes, services to the community, which results in a contribution to the welfare of others;
    -Not be offensive in purpose, nature, activity or name, as determined by the Department;
    I would be in if we could do it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123