Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defense Rifle

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Defense Rifle

My criteria for an HD "rifle" are:

1. Maneuverability: collapsible/foldable stock and/or shorter barrel. They are available for all 3 guns.

2. Accessorizablility: rails to attach laser/light, etc. It's relatively easier to do on an AR than AK or shotgun (I said relatively, it's not hard for the other 2)

3. Effectiveness, but not over-penetrating: 00 bucks and .223 are effective, but less penetrating than 7.62x39, which can lead to unintended damages/kills (think your neighbors)

4. Manageability: how well can you take the recoil of a 00 buck load vs. .223/5.56 vs. 7.62x39? How quickly can you get the subsequent shots in without struggling effort? Shotgun recoil is a bitch to handle. If you get a pump action, remember to pump after the first shot! . .223/5.56 are easier than both 00 and 7.62x39.

5. Capacity: Well, how good are you at hitting your target? How quickly can you reload? You have 6 to 8 shots +1 with a shotgun. AK and AR standard mags are 30 rounds (2 short or a nice Glock 19 with a 33-rd mag actually). You can get mag couplers for both AK and AR for quicker mag change....if you can't hit all your targets (multiple assailants with 30 shots).

6. Reliability: Will it work when you need it? For the subsequent shots in a shotgun, you better be sure to mean it when you pump for a second time (obviously this is not a concern for an auto shotgun). AR and AK are equally reliable in an HD situation (read: non-combat, desert/jungle). The debate goes on and on of course.

So....which would I chose?
    An AR-type pistol. I own all of the guns above, but I have chosen a SIG 556 Pistol for my primary HD "rifle". By the criteria above:

1. No stock
    2. Picatinny rails for light/laser and red dot sight
    3. .223/5.56
    4. My wife can shoot the thing from her tummy without it come back hitting her body...AT ALL.
    5. 2x 30-rd mags coupled
    6. Ah...this is the beauty of the SIG 556 Pistol: it's an AK-crossover AR, a gas piston-driven gun.

The cost is the down side with the SIG, but you can certainly build an AR pistol and cover 1 through 5 + half of 6.

Some may add the "intimidation" factor, I can assure you that the sight of my pimped out 556 Pistol isn't something to take lightly.

Good luck.

Al

(Bedford County)

Here's something I've been considering ,,,,,

http://mossberg.com/products/default...ction=products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

House rifle is a Bushmaster M4 with a Troy Industries quad-rail and a SureFire CombatLight. Also have a M70 Yugo AK underfolder. But the hands down favorite is my WW2 Springfield Armory M1 Garand from CMP. The Garand has been turning cover into concealment since 1940.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I can't believe you laid that sweet looking rifle on that gravel!!!!
    Hahaha
    ShakeyDad freaked out over that too.

The steel is in rough shape, and I'll likely refinish the stock at some point, so I wasn't too concerned. I did place it there very gently though.
    Close ups can be seen here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...n-finally.html
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I can't believe you laid that sweet looking rifle on that gravel!!!!
    Nobody ever said EM was Smart. just check out the video of him shooting the Zombies with that gun at the october group shoot. it took him an hour to laod all ten rounds and what does he do........................... you'll have to see the Video

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...0_12_08005.flv
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; February 4th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cambria County)

I was following this thread for a while, and I think anyone else that was also following this thread may be interested in this thread:

http://forum.pafoa.org/competition-t...-hardware.html

(Delaware County)

Do you use semi-auto pistols a lot?

An AR-15 works more or less the same way. Bolt locks open on the last round, push a button and the mag drops out, stuff in a fresh mag, drop the bolt, repeat as necessary. They are about as ambidextrous as you can get. Ammo has gotten awfully expensive, though most .223/5.56 rounds are fairly safe indoors. New G.I. mags are cheap, even cheaper than AK mags most places at the moment.

A shotgun is a completely different animal, although the mag-fed Saigas are pretty darn close.

AKs are great too, I just feel like the prices have gotten too high. $300-350 okay, but that's what the cheaper parts kits are selling for (less the compliance parts), with rifles selling for $550+. If a part broke that I didn't have on hand, I'd have to order it. Just about any AR parts I can get locally. Don't count out Mr. Murphy.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123