Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK 74 ANGER!

Default Re: AK 74 ANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    What should I use on the bare steel to protect it?
    Whatever is man enough to keep you away from that Dremel?

(Berks County)

You took a Dremel to your AK? Fuck...someone post a "facepalm" pic for me.

Nuke, the thing came apart pretty easily, right? It likely would have gone back together just as easily without you grinding bits off.

On the plus side, is that a phone I hear? Century is calling, they have a job offer for you.
    Last edited by crlovel; August 24th, 2011 at 06:57 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    So I did take my pos knockoff dremel and used a gringing wheel to take off just enough so it does have to be "knocked" back in and pried off but it goes on and off now.

What should I use on the bare steel to protect it?

You did fine, AK's are tough. Any gun store - and maybe Wallymart - would have little bottles of the "gun blue". I'm thinking birchwood-casey PermaBlue or clones. Daub some on the bare metal and "blue" it into the metal, as surface-protectants like paint (or Sharpie marker) would never hold up very long.

And since this is an AK-74 shooting that lung-rusting Russian mil-surp - oil the freshly blued surface too.

We've all BTDT with tiny repairs. Sharpies and Casey's that is. And paint...
    Last edited by nfafan; August 24th, 2011 at 07:23 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    You took a Dremel to your AK? Fuck...someone post a "facepalm" pic for me.

Nuke, the thing came apart pretty easily, right? It likely would have gone back together just as easily without you grinding bits off.

On the plus side, is that a phone I hear? Century is calling, they have a job offer for you.
    Well it seriously did not come apart easily. I had to stick a rag and a screwdriver between the gas tube and the barrel and stick it under my feet and pull on the gun as hard as I could three or four times to make it come off.

maybe I did get a dud, but the only way it was going to come apart and go back together was that, all I really did was remove the surface finishing, its not a real dremel and it nowhere near that powerful, it barley sands wood.

I didnt grind any BITS off, just the surface finishing!!! Oh lord no, I would not grind anything off! haha.
    See the shiny part? That is what I "polished" to make it fit easier, even though it still does not go in anywhere near as it should "easily" I can actually remove and put it back on without hammering.

Last edited by NuclearSociety; August 24th, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    You may have a prophesy in that post. The original cause (IMHO) was caused by setting the barrel too far back during reassembly. I seriously hope I'm wrong.

AK "kits" require pulling the barrel out of the trunnion to remove the receiver rivet remnants. To pull the barrel, there's a transverse pin that locks the barrel in place. With the barrel out, the assembly tech installs the trunnion into the new (semi-auto) receiver and the front rivets. Afterward, to the press...the barrel's pressed back into the trunnion, and aligned so the transverse lock pin can be reinstalled. (photo link) It's all interference fit, so it must be pressed with a hydraulic press. This takes a good eye and a very steady hand. No Darra Gun shop techs need apply for this. Overshooting or misalignment isn't an option.

If the barrel were pressed a tad too deep, the pin would have a lot of difficulty passing over the barrel notch, or the hole would have to be re-bored. The tell-tale symptoms from barrel set-back would be the gas block further back towards the receiver, making the gas tube & upper handguard difficult to install. Also his headspace would be tighter. A lot tighter.

So, NuclearSociety, will your AK chamber rounds?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Blair County)

I really wanted to be able to use that someday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    You may have a prophesy in that post. The original cause (IMHO) was caused by setting the barrel too far back during reassembly. I seriously hope I'm wrong.

AK "kits" require pulling the barrel out of the trunnion to remove the receiver rivet remnants. To pull the barrel, there's a transverse pin that locks the barrel in place. With the barrel out, the assembly tech installs the trunnion into the new (semi-auto) receiver and the front rivets. Afterward, to the press...the barrel's pressed back into the trunnion, and aligned so the transverse lock pin can be reinstalled. (photo link) It's all interference fit, so it must be pressed with a hydraulic press. This takes a good eye and a very steady hand. No Darra Gun shop techs need apply for this. Overshooting or misalignment isn't an option.

If the barrel were pressed a tad too deep, the pin would have a lot of difficulty passing over the barrel notch, or the hole would have to be re-bored. The tell-tale symptoms from barrel set-back would be the gas block further back towards the receiver, making the gas tube & upper handguard difficult to install. Also his headspace would be tighter. A lot tighter.

I used a vice, a wency a block of wood and a hammer, and still managed to headspace perfectly as well as keep it all straight.

Oh, and that lever thingy, if you look close, it is just big enough to fit in the rim of a casing.... just sayin'

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post

Yep, chambers fine for me. It was the gas tube. I am no gun smith but I could tell that the gas tube would not fit back on and it could not even be forced in. So i tried it a few times and found where the scrape marks were and started "sanding" where that was until it finally worked.

OK , I'm confused, First you buy a AK,,

THEN YOU DECIDED TO CLEAN IT?

You are officially kicked out of the ak club.

What are you thinking, that it is a AR or something?

Please load, fire, when finished, windex it down, maybe some oil, then toss it back into safe.

When you search, monkey building ak, you find it.
    Search again for monkey cleaning Ak, you dont' find it.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post
    OK , I'm confused, First you buy a AK,,

THEN YOU DECIDED TO CLEAN IT?

You are officially kicked out of the ak club.

What are you thinking, that it is a AR or something?

Please load, fire, when finished, windex it down, maybe some oil, then toss it back into safe.

When you search, monkey building ak, you find it.
    Search again for monkey cleaning Ak, you dont' find it.

I just thought it was funny everyone freaked when I said I was going to dremel it a bit. Its not going to destroy the frigging thing, its just removing a little of the surface so I can actually break it down and it will ACTUALLY go back together.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast