Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: From McCains web site re gun control

I'd like to see one election day no primaries
    Even just one day for primary voting would make a huge difference.

(Allegheny County)

i generally always vote 3rd party and may well do so again this time.

however, i really think mccain has been unfairly criticized regarding his position on guns.

he is certainly not perfect, but if you actually look at his voting record, it really isn't bad (again, obviously not on the same level as ron paul or huckabee, but still not bad).

i agree that mccain-feingold was an abomination, but it had nothing to do with guns and was not an attack on the NRA (even though the NRA likes to paint it as such). it was a misguided attempt to free our federal government of the puppet strings that control it...those puppet strings are attached to the military-industrial complex--the same one eisenhower warned us about--as well as the insurance/health care industries, etc.

mccain-feingold was misguided to say the least, like much of what comes out of washington...and i don't give him a free pass for it...but i also realize his motivations were not to impose gun control. and, the truth is that we do need some kind of campaign finance reform so we don't have so many politicians who are in the pockets of big business.

(i am a die-hard pro-business capitalist, but, in order for capitalism to work, the government cannot be beholden to big business...government needs to create a level playing field, not a playing field rigged in favor of those who can afford to line the pockets of politicians.)

the NRA hates mccain for mccain-fiengold, of course--as does the GOA. but that's because the NRA viewed it as an attack on them--not because it was actually anti-gun (though i do agree it was anti free speech)--whether the NRA wants to admit that or not.

i really don't think mccain will sign an AWB. i don't think he would sign a microstamping law...or a national law against concealed carry...or, frankly, any other kind of gun control law.

i have looked at his record...i have looked at what he has said...i have looked at what others have said about him. personally, my conclusion is that he is certainly not an enemy of gun owners...in fact, i think to some extent, at least, he is our friend.

i guess i would just encourage everyone to do their own research and form their own conclusions about mccain rather than just listen to what the NRA or GOA says.

(btw, i am a member of both organizations and value them tremendously--especially the GOA--but i also do see how they can sometimes be less than objective...and i think their position on mccain is one of those cases.)

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: From McCain's web site re gun control

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    The NRA hates Mccain for mccain-fiengold, of course--as does the GOA. but that's because the NRA viewed it as an attack on them--not because it was actually anti-gun (though i do agree it was anti free speech)--whether the NRA wants to admit that or not.
    I'll bet that compared to the other two candadates, McCain is looking pretty good to the NRA along about now. I'm sure they will endorse him by the general election.
    Last edited by doug; March 7th, 2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: repaired broken quote tag
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: From McCain's web site re gun control

Wether or not McCain is endorsed by the NRA I would have to argue that ANYONE who seeks to pervert and restrict the NATURAL rights guaranteed us in the DOI and US Constitution should face CRIMINAL charges. How can a politician pass laws which allow them to break the very law which provides the framework for our society and the protection of those rights inherent to each living breathing human being without facing punishment?!? We in America have allowed our Politicians both democrat and republican to disregard the very law which they place a hand on the bible and SWEAR AN OATH to support and defend. WHY??? They ought to be punished like the common criminals they are.
    MOLON LABE

(Indiana County)

McCain's voting record on gun control:

Source: http://www.ontheissues.org/John_McCain.htm

I know how to use guns; but I don't own one. (Nov 2007)
    Prosecute criminals, not citizens for gun ownership. (Sep 2007)
    Don't hold gun manufacturers liable for crimes. (Sep 2007)
    Opposes restrictions on assault weapons and ammunition types. (Sep 2007)
    Ban cheap guns; require safety locks; for gun show checks. (Aug 1999)
    Supports ban on certain assault weapons. (Aug 1999)
    Voted against Brady Bill & assault weapon ban. (Aug 1999)
    Guns are a problem, but so are violent web sites & videos. (Aug 1999)
    Punish criminals who abuse 2nd Amendment rights. (May 1999)
    Youth Violence Prevention Act restricts guns for kids. (May 1999)
    Repeal existing gun restrictions; penalize criminal use. (Jul 1998)
    Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
    Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
    Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
    Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
    Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)
    Kind of a mixed bag on the issue.

(Erie County)

I intend to write in for Ron Paul during the primary in PA. However come November I'll likely vote for McCain. Would poor voter turn out or a mismash of third party write in votes send a message to Washington? Maybe, but not one that is going to be paid much attention too.

I could always write in my own name as a sign of protest to the two party system and then claim next year I'm not responsible for whichever of the poor choices made it into office. That way when Hillary or Obama passes restrictive gun control with the help of a democrat controlled Congress it wasn't my fault right? Or if McCain makes it in without my help then I can claim equally I'm not responsible for his ability to proclaim Mexico as the 51st state and all of it's denizens welcome into his old home state. I lived in AZ during his reign and his stance on illegal immigration is abysmal.

I'd love to see a viable third party option in this country. However change like that is never going to start from the top down. Electing third party candidates into local and State level positions is the only way to do it. That way they have a backing to work with when the time comes to put a pair in the WH.

If you feel that there is no real difference between the Republican or Democrat candidates that will be on the November ticket then vote for whichever third party candidate or simply protest with a 'none of the above' vote if you want, after all at least it is still a free country in that regard. But please don't post a bunch of threads proclaiming your lack of responsibility when the winner starts passing legislation you oppose because you failed to vote against them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteJack View Post
    I intend to write in for Ron Paul during the primary in PA.
    You won't need to write him in, he's on the ballot in PA for the Republican Primary.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Maybe I am ignorant here, and someone can enlighten me (no sarcasm)

But, besides the doofus's on talk radio proclaiming hes "not a real conserative" while they support, of all the asses, Mitt MotherfuckinRomney, why does everyone not like Mcain?

I've liked him for a long time, I liked him 4 years ago, I would have voted for him in the general then.

Hes no Ron Paul, who i have donated to, and volunteered for, but come on.. who is???

I love RP, but lets face it, hes not someone who can get the work done. If he could just dictate his views, sure, but he cant work with anyone. Hes not "reaching across..." for anything.

I agree with coyote, we need to start running and winning the RP's in local offices. Wheres the libertarian for mayor? county controller? State rep? Dog catcher? whatever. A third party cant just run national canidates in the general, thats never going to work.

Just to drop this in, I do not support ron Paul just beacuse of his stance on the war. Thats not my big issue. Sound money, small gov, personal privacy and liberty, 2A, and a good dose of the constitution!

(Indiana County)

I think some of it was from perceptions of his lax stance on illegal immigration.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    why does everyone not like Mcain?
    FWIW, here's my reasons:

- He has sponsored and introduced legislation which hampers free speech.
    - He has sponsored and introduced legislation which would give amnesty to millions of illegals, while those who have waited in line and done what they had to in order to become citizens are given no such advantage.
    - While not the worst on 2nd Amendment issues, he's isn't all that great.

Call me inflexible, call me uncompromising, but I have no use for any politician who seeks to "reach across". Politicians who are willing to compromise their beliefs and the beliefs of their constituents, and work with those who are diametrically opposed to those beliefs, pass legislation which only benefits themselves, not the constituency that voted them in. I don't vote in a candidate to work with people whom I disagree with politically and create unconstitutional legislation which hampers liberty; I vote a candidate in to represent MY interests in government, and introduce and vote for legislation which affirms liberty.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; March 8th, 2008 at 08:14 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast