Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Shooting in Scranton...

Don worry the state police report will be as one sided as you can get.
    4 cops and all they could think of was to shoot her damn and if we as a citizen did this yes we would be in jail peiod.
    Last edited by 1911shooter; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:53 PM.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    Don worry the state police report will be as one sided as you can get.
    $ cops and all they could think of was to shoot her damn and if we as a citizen did this yes we would be in jail peiod.
    no i dont think someone would go to jail for shooting someone charging them with a knife...thats why people carry guns to stop a dangerous threat. most people dont have the training and back up as a cop.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    no i dont think someone would go to jail for shooting someone charging them with a knife...thats why people carry guns to stop a dangerous threat. most people dont have the training and back up as a cop.
    I was refering to the fact there were 4 of them and all they could do was shoot her multiple times. and that if 4 citizens shot an old lady like this yes we would be in jail and no DA would let us walk.

(Montgomery County)

This one is going to be interesting. The shooting itself reminds me of a watered-down version of the Diallo incident. One thing's for sure in mind, though: as others have already said, if a regular citizen was the shooter, they'd be locked up for the time being.

come on a woman with a knife.... don't they teach police officers martial arts anymore? he could have used a Taser or used OC spray, they are very effective on someone with a knife especially a woman! but it was the officers choice he used deadly force so thats justified . every officer has their own methods depending on how well trained they are.
    Sometimes your posts make zero sense to me. This is another one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    I don't know if this was a good shoot, did the woman ever have an abortion?

Wait, wrong thread.
    ROTFLMAO!!!

I feel for the officers, their families, the victim, and the victims family.

Sad sad all around.
    Last edited by Michele; June 4th, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

I dunno. Something stinks about this one.

Where is the knife? How come the police have not paraded around pictures of the "killer knife" that the officers were so afraid of? That would certainly dispel any doubt as to whether it was a good shooting.

This was not a mental health check, either. Where were the people who were qualified to examine her mental health? I don't know how many cops are walking around with PhD's in psychology or psychiatry.

The police are lying about something and/or withholding evidence. In time, it might come out (but I doubt it), but given they are lying, I'd say it is NOT a good shoot until they PROVE it is.

(Allegheny County)

come on a woman with a knife.... don't they teach police officers martial arts anymore? he could have used a Taser or used OC spray, they are very effective on someone with a knife especially a woman! but it was the officers choice he used deadly force so thats justified . every officer has their own methods depending on how well trained they are.

ETA: Merc, the bottom line is that a knife attack is deadly force and justifies a deadly-force response. If Bruce Lee tried to fight off a knife attack bare-handed, he would almost certainly be cut. Anyone else can expect to be seriously injured. A knife attack is dangerous for a martial arts expert; thinking you're going to fend off a knife with bare-handed kung-fu is beyond fantasy.

The second problem with your statement is that LEOs are taught only the rudiments of hand-to-hand tactics. Their training doesn't make black-belts of them in the best of circumstances. And most cops are not "the best of circumstances." They don't train daily in hand-to-hand combat. They don't train weekly. Nor monthly, even. The little bit they learned is going to be vague and rusty by the time they might use it. And that's before allowing for age, physical condition, etc. LEOs learn defensive tactics as a last-ditch way to try not dying after losing their guns, being caught by surprise, or otherwise being without other options.

The third problem is that "OC spray is very effective" is a very doubtful claim, and "especially on a woman" is sexist garbage. OC can be effective, but it can also be resisted. In LEO training, cops are pepper-sprayed and then go through several actions with OC in their eyes, including finding a gun tossed on the ground. I had to hold my eyes open with my fingers to get through it, but I did it. And one of the constables who also did it was a woman. Many of the men chickened out and opted not to be exposed. Everyone who took the hit, also managed to complete the activities--the PSP who sprayed them refused to give them water until they did.

The bottom line is that an attack with a knife at close range merits a lethal-force response unless the defender has a good reason to believe he can safely avoid harm some other way.
    Last edited by Adam-12; June 3rd, 2009 at 10:44 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I hate tasers, and don't carry one on my duty belt, but if I had one I'd use it then, instead of shooting her. Depending on circumstances I'd OC her, if I could.
    A non-complaint person with a knife is VERY dangerous...
    I can't tell from the article what actually happened, so I have no idea. If she were waving it in the air looking confused, I might go for OC or TASER (except I don't carry a TASER either). But if she threatened to or did attack with a knife, that's a deadly threat and would probably justify a lethal response.

(Luzerne County)

(Lackawanna County)

The State Police have the knife. The shooting was at the doorway from the porch, this woman was a.) NOT tiny b.) not in her right mind c.) she could easily drop a man twice her size.(she'd done it before) People that protect air force bases have very good hand-to-hand training, by the way.

I have a feeling that the radio traffic at the time will be rather revealing, as well.

I am sorry for the woman and her family, I am sorry that the cops will have to deal with this for the rest of their lives.

The PSP has been proven time and time again to investigate these cases thoroughly, and impartially. If there was a problem with the shoot, charges WILL be filed.

Now, quit the effing cop-bashing already. It gives this entire site a black eye.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast