Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Dump

(Monroe County)

just went to the range so I have 15 corbon +p+ hollowpoints to my name, if 16 burglars enter my house I'm in deed doodoo.

(Bucks County)

Default Totalnewbie...

Totalnewbie, "the only dumb question is the one we don't ask" is the old saying so ask anything you want and you will be given respect here...Mike45

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    just went to the range so I have 15 corbon +p+ hollowpoints to my name, if 16 burglars enter my house I'm in deed doodoo.
    Make that last one a FMJ round. That way you can at least hope the last two bad guys could line up and you could get both of them with one round.

==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Approx 5-6K in various flavors. Luckily much of it was purchased a few years back for approx 50% less than todays inflated prices.

(Allegheny County)

TotalNewbie,

I have shot 30.06 rounds dated -31 and -36 which grouped pretty close to my handloads (57.5 gr. 4350 under a 150 nosler ballistic tip).

This load gives me about 1 1/4 " groups at 100 whereas the 59 grain loading spreads the group to about 2 1/2". (760 pumpgun)

When I reloaded the 1936 brass, I shot a doe and had a case failure. (just a 1/4"split with no bad results).

Since I have never shot a deer over 100 yds, even the 59 gr loading would suffice. I'm not a big time hunter and have shot maybe 40 deer in the last 30 or so years.

As far as stockpile, when a gun nut goes off and the media reports his "arsenal" of 20 guns and 3000 rounds of ammo, some people think he's "over the edge". A phrase my wife somtimes uses when describing me.

I did just order 1K of 5.56 and a brand "new" Milsurp rifle in .308.

DG
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Seriously though, ammo is safe indefinitely (within your lifetime) as long as it doesnt get wet/humid....
    Well, if that is the case, then the solution is clear.

My understanding is that the purchase price of ammo is increasing at a higher rate then one may expect from an investment like a CD or a stock portfolio.

If I am right, then it makes sense to invest heavily in ammo that you'd need for your use. To cost of the working capital of your investment, add the cost of keeping it secure and the cost of risk of getting it wet, subtract from it your savings in having it on hand at all times, the ordering costs, the savings of not having to hassel with it again, and any volume discount, and it seems that it makes sense to keep a relatively large stockpile on hand. 10 years worth? 20 years' worth? I don't see why not (as long as you have the money to invest in it).

If you go shooting twice a week, at 100 rds per session, you'll go through about 100,000 rds in 10 years. Based roughly on the cases of boxes of ammo that I picked this morning, I'd say that for a 10yr supply you'll need about 34 cu ft of space (a pallet stacked 2 ft high) and about $20K.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    As far as stockpile, when a gun nut goes off and the media reports his "arsenal" of 20 guns and 3000 rounds of ammo, some people think he's "over the edge".
    3000 rds is an arsenal? Wow, I am now over the edge!
    (And so far I've shot exactly 100 rds in my life, and own 0 guns)

(Allegheny County)

Total, what cal bullets did you buy. Are you leaning towards a perticular gun?

Quote Originally Posted by plr16 View Post
    Total, what cal bullets did you buy. Are you leaning towards a perticular gun?
    22, 9 mm, 38 sp.

No, I am not leaning to any gun (and have no plans on owning a gun within the next 18 months or so), but I know that I will shoot these cals frequently. The 357 mag, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 45 ACP (the other chamberings for HGs that SPAGs carry) will wait till next year.

BTW, I took the recommendation of this group and bought it all from the ammoman.com . Actually, I went to his warehouse. Eric is a very nice guy in person; next time you order from him, ask about his wine collection.

(Blair County)

Reference the question about ammo "going bad," a buddy of mine bought a can of .303 Brit that came in a clothe machine gun belt, the kind they used in a Vickers or Maxim in WW1. The date on it was pre-1920. It had a less than 10 percent failure rate. Obviously, manufacturing techniques have come a long way since then.

If you live in PA (as opposed to, say, in a salt water swamp), and have ammo that was made during WW2 or better, it will probably be good long after you are gone.

Reference the amount of ammo on hand, well, I would need several "Arsenal Licenses." The last time I moved, I had a mortar ammo can that was full of enough .45 reloads I couldn't pick it up. I've been "buying cheap and stacking deep" for a number of years.

doug

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast