Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: One in the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by heating8 View Post
    I've NEVER EVER carried with one in the chamber (about 5 years now). There's just too many things in my mind which could possibly go wrong that i'm not willing to chance it. If i need that extra second to put on in the chamber and I don't have that second, then i don't have it.
    just be aware that the issue is not so much the time needed to chamber a round...it is a question of whether or not you will have two hands available.

most mugging/armed robbery/etc. attacks happen at very close (probably contact) distance. your support hand may be tied up defending your face/neck and you may only have one hand to draw and fire. or, what if your support hand is injured?

a gun in a holster, on the other hand, just plain is not going to go off by itself. all you really need to do is just make sure you keep your finger (and any other objects) out of the trigger guard when placing it in the holster.

just some food for thought.
    F*S=k

(Luzerne County)

I've NEVER EVER carried with one in the chamber (about 5 years now). There's just too many things in my mind which could possibly go wrong that i'm not willing to chance it. If i need that extra second to put on in the chamber and I don't have that second, then i don't have it.
    That is a pretty poor way to loose your life.

"Oh well........if I would have only had that second".

While it is a personal choice, carrying without a round in the chamber means you are carrying nothing more than a paper weight.

You might not have the use of both of your hands.....

You might be grabbing/pushing your wife, girlfriend, child, staranger outof the way........

You might inure your strong hand and trying to chamber a round under stress with a weak hand..........

I would never, ever carry a handgun without a round in the chamber.

(Lancaster County)

Then maybe i'm using the wrong CC method since i'd need two hand to get to it anyway with my fat ass. Just out of curiosity then, i'm guessing most of you also carry a spare mag also?

i love hearing "that's one safety you don't want to juke"
    Last edited by heating8; April 20th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by budriss View Post
    Hey,

I just recently got my LTCF and have been carrying a Bersa Thunder 380

even with the safety on i still can't bring myself to carry with one in the chamber. Does anyone else feel/start out the same way i am...if so how/what did you do to overcome it

still pretty new to guns less than a year, however i try to shoot at least once every week.

I also have a Ruger SR9 w/ viridian green laser sight
    a lot of us started that way
    its all mental though, youll get over it

now...........................................
    this guy doesnt agree with me

I couldnt resist !

please dont take ANY of his advice

lolololololololololololol

I just had to

(Allegheny County)

Then maybe i'm using the wrong CC method since i'd need two hand to get to it anyway with my fat ass.
    imho, any carry method that requires the use of two hands to deploy the weapon is sub-optimal to say the least. you may not have both hands available.

now, there may be times when complete concealment (or some other consideration) is such a high priority that you have to compromise on being able to deploy one-handed, but one should at least make that decision fully understanding the dynamics of a "typical" mugging/armed robery/etc. and fully understanding why those dynamics may very well lead to the need for a one-handed deployment.

Just out of curiosity then, i'm guessing most of you also carry a spare mag also?
    i do...as magazine failure is the most common cause of stoppages in semi-auto handguns.

however, i personally think that carrying an extra mag is much less important than being able to deploy your weapon one-handed.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I carry an XD45 Tactical in a C-T.A.C. under a tucked in shirt. I've had it for about a year and always carried with an empty chamber. My reason for doing this was because of the lack of safeties and easy trigger pull on striker pistols and I figured I could always load it as fast as I drew it anyway (lift straight up, place other hand on slide, push gun forward into position as the slide goes back.)
    Then a simple thought dawned on me.. "What if I don't have access to my other hand?"

I think the big fear of having one in the chamber is the fear of mechanical failure, which can be conquered by carrying the gun cocked for a while and realizing it won't fire unless you're squeezing the trigger. The other fear is being that close to the edge. If anyone's ever stood at the edge of a high place, there's that sense of vertigo knowing a few inches forward will kill you. Likewise, just one trigger pull is all it takes to fire the gun. To remedy that fear, proper finger placement and the constant awareness that you're not carrying a toy helps.

Do you use a chainsaw? Do you use shin guards, chaps, and a face guard with it? I'll guess for the majority of people the answer to that is "no." Chainsaws are prone to kickback, yet most people wield one with little concern for losing control of it. The same could be said for nail guns or any assortment of power tools that can kill someone if not properly handled. I see no difference between that and a loaded gun. Actually there is one difference, a gun isn't trying to rip it's way out of your hand like cutting or grinding tools.

Another thing to consider about having an empty chamber is that you cannot afford any mistake. I once tried cocking my gun after putting down drink, the condensation made my hand too slick to get a proper grip and the slide sprung forward before I took it all the way back. this caused a jam. I slowly pulled the slide back just enough to loosen the bullet, which took a few seconds. In a dangerous situation you'd have to rack it again and forget that bullet since you don't have time to play around. This is assuming you haven't already been shot or stabbed.

(Lancaster County)

How did you find my old video?

(Lancaster County)

I felt EXACTLY like you did. Now I carry with one chambered all the time. Do what feels safe for you. What I did was read the manual in and out. Then read it a few more times. Went shooting and got used to my gun. Wore it around the house empty and practiced drawing and holstering it repeatedly while keeping my finger out of the trigger guard. Read the manual more. When I felt comfortable {and not before} I started carrying with one in the pipe.

Be safe and welcome

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    a lot of us started that way
    its all mental though, youll get over it

now...........................................
    this guy doesnt agree with me

I couldnt resist !

please dont take ANY of his advice

lolololololololololololol

I just had to
    I didn't know males could think and speak that abstractly. I should hook him up with my ex.

(Schuylkill County)

ok so this guy first off shouldn`t even have a gun. It looks like he lives in a group home that is falling apart.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast